Catan: Cities and Knights

Phoebe

Catan: Cities and Knights

Post by Phoebe »

I spent an hour reading the rules and I feel like I need another hour plus a couple practice sessions. However, It looks good and I like the historical resonances... Your desirable cities with their wealth will attract the barbarian invaders, and everybody in the whole region could be screwed over if the barbarians come, even if you're not happy with your neighbors.
You have to balance improving your city with defending your city. Some of it will be luck but some of it will be figuring out the right balance.

I'm sure that some of you have played this before so if you have advice about strategy I am here for it. I need all the help I can get!

My problem is from moment one I'm going to be playing this game with people who treat any resource card exchange as if a 10-year prison sentence and a million dollars rides on the outcome. There is no peace in this situation where one can just learn how to play the game. There is no patience or mercy. Risk always ends in tears (not mine, but I am often disgusted and muttering). I can't even remember the last time I won at Risk in this household. The weird thing is that our kids are so chill most of the time, so quiet and easy going around friends and such. But put them in a game arena and my goodness.
Kyle

Re: Catan: Cities and Knights

Post by Kyle »

Youtube is my goto for figuring out complicated games. I read the rules, then I watch an explainer video (usually 7 to 10 minutes) and then if I need it, I might watch a run through of several rounds of actual play. I find that having someone explain the rules I just read while showing me the pieces in action is a great reinforcer. Often then, instead of me explain the rules to everyone, I'll just have them watch the best short explainer video I could find.
Phoebe

Re: Catan: Cities and Knights

Post by Phoebe »

It never even occurred for me to look for a video about such a thing! But that is exactly what I need!