Vaccination

Akiva

Vaccination

Post by Akiva »

In Maryland teachers are classified as 1B for priority to get vaccinations. I was able to schedule my first shot for next Wednesday.

On the down side, I think schools will be going back in person in March.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Re: Vaccination

Post by Phoebe »

That is great! Wish the same were happening here. My parents finally got round 1 but have yet to hear about round 2. To increase your odds of getting vaccinated you have to register with multiple places, in hopes that the ones with your name and number will acquire vaccine and call you, because there is no rational, coherent system for getting people vaccinated. We have heard that in Arizona and other states they have all-night clinics where they're just pumping as many doses into arms as fast as they can bring the people through. I do not live in Arizona so have little hope of efficient vaccination. We are still on phase 1a, except for the bizarre list of exceptions where we're not on phase 1a at all! I was hoping maybe to do it through work at some point, but even they have no idea when they will be allotted vaccine and whether they will have to go through a process or will have enough for most everyone. We are ruled by incompetents here.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

it has been absolutely a cluster in MD. Two things going on at the same time: Federal agencies are telling people to go out in the state and get vaccinated, and state is basically telling people to ask federal agencies to get vaccinated through Continuity of Operations Planning. So lots of confusion in MD, as Governor Hogan essentially took vaccines from Counties and gave it to CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid -- and basically decentralized the whole operation. What should have happened is a centralized sign-up, with appointments directing people to site soon as vaccinations become available.

Oh, I'm 1C but I have no idea if MD agrees.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

I got my second vaccination yesterday. My butt is definitely kicked enough that I felt I needed to call in from work, but our administration not only understands this is going to happen, but expects it to happen and is actively encouraging teachers to stay home if needed. Other districts are not so nice and expect the teachers in regardless.

I was also amazed at how much more efficient the second vaccine went. They have either learned a lot more about queueing effectively, or a lot of people didn't get their second shot. For the first vaccine I was waiting in line for 45 minutes before even getting to registration. Yesterday, I went through all checkpoints and registration and received the vaccine within 20 minutes.

There are still many teachers in our district - those under 55 and/or without other underlying health issues - who are still waiting for their first vaccine because they haven't been considered as high a priority. Our county health director is meeting with teaching union presidents to try and get these teachers fast-tracked as well.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

DMDarcs wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:22 am I got my second vaccination yesterday. My butt is definitely kicked enough that I felt I needed to call in from work, but our administration not only understands this is going to happen, but expects it to happen and is actively encouraging teachers to stay home if needed. Other districts are not so nice and expect the teachers in regardless.
My district is giving everyone who gets the vaccine a day off--either the day of the vaccination, or the next work day. I don't know if it's to deal with the side effects of the shot, or if it's an incentive to get teachers to get vaccinated. Either way, I have off next Thursday because of it.
Reel on a repeating loop
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I'm pfizer'd! Dose 1! Let's see how this goes :)
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yeah!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Awesome! Glad so many people here are able to get a shot. Where I live things are less than optimal in that regard, shall we say. But I don't need to return to normal life, and for those of you who have to see students and do things it will be really nice to be able to work without so much stress attached. I know the vaccine isn't the perfect solution until more people get it but it's still so much better - even getting the partial protection from one shot.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I got my second shot on Friday. My reaction to it was the same as the first: tired and spacy the day after, and then just fine.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I just got my first shot.
Reel on a repeating loop
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Mike wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:01 pm I got my second shot on Friday. My reaction to it was the same as the first: tired and spacy the day after, and then just fine.
This was my experience with the first shot, too. I hope I follow your trajectory. :D
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Akiva wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:20 pm I just got my first shot.
*high elbows from a safe distance!*
Mando

Post by Mando »

I am considered low risk and that is fortunate as they are haphazard with their immunizations. Fortunately the elderly here are getting it at the Health Dept. I cannot talk my mom into getting it and she is 82. I can't even get my wife and kids to get a flu shot .🥺
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

Teachers in my district have voted to "work-to-rule" until they all get vaccinated. Which means, they will only work during contracted hours, not beyond to amp up some pressure on administration. It has been really disappointing how little mind is being paid toward teachers and all on how to open school. Parents are actually working with teachers on that despite all loudmouthed people who demand schools to open.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Just had a tragic conversation with one of the two teachers my kid has who is going on medical leave until their medical leave runs out, and then they will be forced to resign if they haven't managed to get a vaccine yet. Their families are full of high-risk people and they are now being forced to spend 9 hours a day in one small enclosed trailer with 150 different other human beings, all of whom are old and large enough to spread the virus much more effectively than the younger kids do, plus the thousands (!!!) of people who come through the school building daily. Thousands! Roaming the same hallways of the same building! NO WINDOWS! No special ventilation. It is batshit crazy that we [Republicans] don't want to vaccinate these teachers [in a manner commensurate with their exposure and risk of creating/experiencing super-spreader events, like, daily]. My god, I am SO DONE with humans [Republicans and some others as well].
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

Through sheer luck this morning, I managed to sign up for my wife and myself. March 8th here we come. (We're both 1C)

Many teachers are going to quit or go on extended leave this spring, because of utter *no support* being given to teachers who aren't vaxxed yet. There are high risk teachers who have yet to get vax, but are expected to return soon. There are teachers with school-age kids who needs to be home with kid, but given whatever situation that they may have with, made it impracticable for them to teach in person, and are not getting any support they need. We are going to have a severe teacher shortage for the next few years, just like severe nursing shortage as well.

All because people aren't being supported.

it's a clusterbleep.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Same thing is happening here. Recently had a long chat with one of my kids' teachers who is quitting, which might end up meaning she leaves the whole profession because she has various multi-purpose advanced degrees. She has seen the in-school spread of cases, she has very vulnerable family, nobody can get a vaccine because our present leaders are The Worst. Same with another of my kid's best science teachers: was already overqualified, is no longer putting up with the bullshit that used to be cheerfully tolerated out of sheer love of teaching. We already had a nursing shortage here and we have run these people into the ground, along with all the rest of their associated staff.

I am not complaining at all about my own situation, but my work life has been effed with in so many ways lately, and continues to be going that direction, that my parents and spouse have serious questions about whether I should continue to work. However, I am committed at this point. I thought about changing careers several years ago, decided against, and instead successfully refashioned my conditions and surroundings to be much more to my liking. So now I don't want to change. But I also won't risk the health of my loved ones for it, so luckily it hasn't come to that. If I was a high school teacher I would have quit by now.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I wonder how many of my colleagues will still be teaching next year. It's been a pretty rough year, to put it mildly.

I can't really change careers, so I don't have much of a choice.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My plan was to pick the thing I liked best that you could move into with a year or 18 months of training alongside practicum, if you already had a BA: nursing. There is such a shortage of nurses I'm sure you could do it, but you'd have to want to nurse people, and that is doubtless one of the most challenging possible jobs right now. Now you're making me think about it and I want to be a hospice nurse again. Why am I not a hospice nurse?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I talked to my parents today. Both of them are in their late 70s. Neither one is planning on getting the vaccination. For my mom, she’s concerned about adverse reactions. To be fair, she does have a history of severe reactions to medications. For my dad, it is because the vaccinations are derived from stem cell lines from aborted fetuses. And they feel that every place they go, like the restaurants and their church, practices social distancing and masking, so there’s no need for them to worry about being vaccinated. 🤦‍♂️ Guess it’s going to be awhile before we get to see them, since that will now definitely be dependent on us being vaccinated. I just hope my sisters don’t kill them before we get the chance to see them again.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'm so sorry, that has to be very frustrating! If it is any help, I have heard (from real experts here) that Moderna is less likely to cause allergic reaction in people with anaphylaxis reactions (to anything) than Pfizer, if they have any choice in which one they get; also Catholics here have been worrying about this and concluded the one to avoid is Johnson and Johnson but the others are acceptable. Don't know if this helps but if that's what the most conservative Catholics are being advised here by the church, I imagine they have some reason and it was explored.

My parents are vaccinated and still wear mask but apparently now feel very free to roam the outer world. I do not feel this. I hope your parents can be persuadable, maybe if people they know get it and it's ok?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'm not sure they're persuadable.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

Vactican says to take the vax if choice isn't readily available because of the responsibility to society writ large.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

I got one shot johnson'd today, btw.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yes, I know what the Vatican says. And while my parents are not the traditionalist, anti-Francis sort of Catholics that were rabid Trump supporters, they are definitely very religious. So if dad thinks it's wrong, even if the Pope says it's okay, then he's going to stick with his principles. Apparently even if that means potentially dying of COVID.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

FlameBlade wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:57 pm I got one shot johnson'd today, btw.
That sounds worse than it probably was.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Phoebe wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 am
FlameBlade wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:57 pm I got one shot johnson'd today, btw.
That sounds worse than it probably was.
"One shot johnson" is a wrestling move, right?
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It brought other images to mind, unpleasant ones.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

Pun was intentional. Obvs.

Didn't help that the graph they released on efficacy resembled a Johnson.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Multi-level Johnson.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Our son works at a grocery store and qualifies for our phase 1b as an essential worker. But he's 16, and the J&J and Moderna vaccines are not recommended for kids under 18, only the Pfizer vaccine is. And the local chain pharmacy only has a contract with Moderna. So we'll have to track down someplace locally that has the Pfizer vaccine and see if we can get him scheduled. And there's still no word on when me and the Missus or our other two grown kids will be able to get poked.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oooooo hoping for you!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Miracle: we are both vaccinated. I still cannot believe our good fortune but it is real. I don't care whether it's rational or not but I'm going to credit Joe Biden with all of it. After living through 4 years of the post-truth era this is my truth.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Congrats! We're still waiting, but there's progress!
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

Check to see if your state has automated vaccine finder built by grassroots. Maryland has one at https://www.vaccinespotter.org/MD/index.html to give you some idea of how that could be done.

Also, get yourselves on pre-registering lists as well.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Got my second shot today.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Congrats on being fully vaccinated*!

*Realizing that it takes about 10-14 days for the effects of the vaccine to reach its fully efficacy, etc.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

My oldest son and I are getting our first shots tomorrow.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

Few days till robust immunity, few days plus 2 weeks till maximum immunity. Wheee! Just as places are reopening and spraying variant into the community. Way to go.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

This one of the few times I’m glad I’m a teacher.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It's so exciting that vaccination floodgates seem to have opened! It's an enormous relief. The numbers of people who refuse to take the vaccine at all are scary, on many levels, but we're making so much progress. If we destroy a lot of the host opportunities quickly enough, then even the variants could be thwarted considerably. Thwarted is such a good word. Thw- anything like that. Thwack, thwomp. Dang.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Question for those of you pursuing vaccination: did you get signed up through work or did you have to venture off to locate this vaccine on your own? I am extremely happy that more and more vaccines are being delivered across the land, yet I find it bizarre in the fullest that there is no coherent way to sign up for vaccination. Instead, one must dart this way and that among different pharmacies or providers, hoping to secure an appointment here or there, unpredictably. Knowing someone helps to grease the wheels of this venture, which also doesn't seem quite right. I'm curious about whether this is a local phenomenon or if this is just how we do things in America because no cohesive health care system here.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

It really depends region to region, state to state. Some places are doing great, some places are doing not so hot, and some places are advising people to go to extremely red counties to find slots, because nobody there is taking their shot. It's a little insane.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Since I'm self-employed, I cannot get a shot through work. I've signed up with our state's department of health to be notified if there are openings available for me to get a shot, but haven't heard a peep from them. We did hear about a possible slot for our son, whose a category ahead of me in priority because he works at a grocery store, but even that didn't work out because he's under 18 and can only get Pfizer, and they were offering shots of J&J. I've been trying to sign up through Walgreen's website, but you have to schedule appointments for both first and second shots at the same time, and they've only had openings for one shot, so their website will not let me schedule anything at all. And in a couple weeks, our state is opening things up for anyone who wants to get a shot, so it'll be even harder to find an opening. It may be late summer before I get a shot at this rate.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Texas is all screwed up. Our county finally started having vaccination clinics, so I got my first shot (and for my oldest son who has a congenital disease) through that- the second one is scheduled for the end of the month.
Mando

Post by Mando »

got my first shot...life sucked about 24 hours later...then I got better 24 hours after that....thanks spiky protein!
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I have an appointment next Tuesday at noon to get the 1-shot J&J vaccine!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Awesome! I just got my wife and middle daughter signed up to get their first Moderna shot on Monday. That will mean that 1 of us will be totally vaccinated and 4 of us will be halfway vaccinated. My oldest daughter just had Covid two weeks ago, so she can't get it yet. And my two youngest are too young to get it (12 and 14). That just leaves my 17 year old daughter and my 19 year old son (who doesn't live with me).
Last edited by Kyle on Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan

Post by Stan »

First Pfizer shot this morning. Only mild tiredness.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yay, vaccines for everyone! I have been fully vaccinated and had no serious ill effects beyond sleeping through most of two days, and I'm not sure that can be counted as an ill effect. I took several Advil but honestly am not sure if that was "normal feeling like crap" or post-vaccine crap. At this age there's a lot of difficulty one could mistake for having a fever, headache, etc. Tonight I had a bowl of spicy tofu and broke out into a whole-body sweat, so who can say with accuracy?