Breakfast

Mike

Breakfast

Post by Mike »

So the hotel we stayed at last weekend had a breakfast buffet. Not a free continental breakfast, mind you, but an $18 per head breakfast buffet. They don't serve any other meals here... just $18 breakfast.

So we did not have breakfast at the hotel. I couldn't see shelling out $100+ (with tip) for the family to eat breakfast. But on the way out of town, we spotted a Denny's and took the kids in for their first ever Denny's breakfast. It was really fabulous. Everyone enjoyed it. With tip, we spent $110 for five of us. Holy schnikes!
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Tahlvin

Re: Breakfast

Post by Tahlvin »

I enjoy Denny’s breakfast. My favorite was one in Hawaii where you could sit outside on a balcony and hear the ocean while you ate your waffles.
Mike

Post by Mike »

My kids thought I was joking when I suggested Moons Over My Hammy. Then they saw that half the menu was puns.

I had a slamwich (a grand slam breakfast made into a melt), and it was incredible. And I don't remember what my wife ordered, but it came with a small cup of maple-bacon-onion jam. It didn't seem to go with anything on her plate, but it was the perfect addition to my slamwich.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I think I'll make another post about it, but it makes me wistful hearing other peoples' restaurant experiences now that my dietary restrictions are so limited.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'm snooty in old age and only want the local diner if I cannot have a free hotel breakfast! Recently caved to the demands of traveling companions and ate one of those overpriced hotel breakfasts, and will admit it was fabulous. But I was still mad I was paying that to Hotel Chain X rather than Auntie's Local Pancake Emporium.

Hotels went through a period of guest services expansion, it seems, trying to win market by offering pleasant free breakfasts and other such amenities to guests (like those little in-room free coffee and tea makers). In big cities it was always the opposite - you'd expect a $20 daily parking fee and a pricey breakfast due to a significant captured audience.

Tangent but related: for a while now it seems hotels - spurred even further by service cutbacks made during the pandemic - have decided to save money by cutting housekeeping services to near zero. This is advertised as "environmentally friendly" but really, it does very little to save energy/water and instead the people who suffer from this most are the cleaning staff who no longer get the regular tips, or might not be tipped at all by disgruntled guests who received no service. The desk staff then get all the requests for extra towels and soap, which they aren't keen to run around delivering, and people pile up dirty towels and trash - a whole negative ripple effect occurs. It's not like people stop using towels because nobody came to replace them - the laundry (water, energy) still has to be done - they just don't have to pay as many human beings for as many hours now.

Same with breakfast - the cost is really about the people who prepare and arrange and clean up those free breakfasts. So in places where one or two people seem able to handle that task, the amenity continues, but when you have a whole kitchen staff or would struggle to hire one, then we see discontinued free breakfast. Investment in the people always discounted. Workers of the world, etc., rant over.