The latest form of fat-shaming

Phoebe

The latest form of fat-shaming

Post by Phoebe »

Now that Ozempic and similar drugs are becoming more popularly known and prescribed for weight loss as well as for controlling blood sugar, people are discovering not only that significant weight loss may occur but that celebrities may have been using drugs like these to lose weight before the general public became aware.

Along with this we now see reports of this or that celebrity assuring us they did not lose weight with Ozempic, as if to use this drug is somehow cheating in the virtue stakes of weight loss. What the heck? In the past few years the internet manosphere has been very excited about attacking women for being too fat by accusing them of having diabetes, as if anyone overweight develops diabetes and as if this is some sort of moral and aesthetic failure. But now people also need to be ashamed of taking drugs that control diabetes and getting some kind of freebie weight loss in the process. In the old days people did it with cigarettes and illegal drugs, I guess, but now that any old doctor can give you a legal prescription for a drug that might cause weight loss, we have to make sure that it was never about the weight in the first place but only about the shaming! We can't give up the shaming at any cost!
Phoebe

Re: The latest form of fat-shaming

Post by Phoebe »

I realize I'm late to this game and this has been going on for like a decade probably, but it seems the go-to insult for fat people at the moment has something to do with diabetes. I guess this was the fruit someone began plucking in response to cheerful attempts at body positivity or defense of fat people for existing with their fat still on them and possibly even being perfectly happy and content, and so forth. It was like, okay maybe it seems too crude to just react with visceral negativity, so we'll wrap it in this pretense of concern about their health with the label diabetes. It's such a stupid thing and yet you see it everywhere! It's like a giant croquette stuffed with ignorance about diabetes and ignorance about how weight is related to common health problems, all glued together with a smear of mean spiritedness. People are just weird.