I am so disappointed in John Cleese

Mike

I am so disappointed in John Cleese

Post by Mike »

Apparently, he's taking a job with some conservative news organization in Britain. He claims that he's joining them not because they are conservative, but rather because they are free speech oriented. He says he's afraid he'd be canceled if he was on the BBC. How stupid.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Re: I am so disappointed in John Cleese

Post by Kyle »

Ewww. That's what people say before they go full MAGA.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah. The man's 82 and a goddam national treasure. He was offered a knighthood (which he refused). He is the richest of the Pythons and could live comfortably forever even if he never worked another day in his life. He has nothing to prove. I'm just baffled by his motivations. Unless he lost a bet, I can't imagine why he thinks this is important to do right now.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

One of the things I'm coming to terms with is that, even though I know I'm super smart and have all the answers and right opinions, no one really wants to hear my opinions. This is an issue on social media for me that I'm struggling with. I see all the terrible, racist, anti-woman things people are posting online and I think, "I have to counter that! I have to make sure there's a voice that speaks truth to power!" But then I've come to realize that none of it matters. No one is changing anyone else's mind on social networks. And trying to be the voice of reason is just adding to the cacophony and disfunction of it all. So I'll just post dad jokes and pictures of my kids and, if we're doing something political like protesting or stuff like that, then I'll post that too. But I'm done screaming into the void.

But John Cleese at 82 hasn't come to that same conclusion. He still thinks that his "big thoughts" are that goddamn important. I guess it's easy to be so narcissistic when you're that rich.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Kyle wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:53 pm One of the things I'm coming to terms with is that, even though I know I'm super smart and have all the answers and right opinions, no one really wants to hear my opinions. This is an issue on social media for me that I'm struggling with. I see all the terrible, racist, anti-woman things people are posting online and I think, "I have to counter that! I have to make sure there's a voice that speaks truth to power!" But then I've come to realize that none of it matters. No one is changing anyone else's mind on social networks. And trying to be the voice of reason is just adding to the cacophony and disfunction of it all. So I'll just post dad jokes and pictures of my kids and, if we're doing something political like protesting or stuff like that, then I'll post that too. But I'm done screaming into the void.
Le Bingo!
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Did I win something!?!?! Yay!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Cleese is kind of an honorary philosopher and hangs out with a lot of British philosophers, and this vague element of "somebody needs to stand up for free speech against these crazy woke kids" is extremely influential in that group right now. It starts from a place where people find it off-putting to have dozens of students screaming at them, but then the next thing you know they have accepted ultra right wing allies uncritically. Like JK Rowling.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Just like Rowling. Great example.