Quiet Quitting

Phoebe

Quiet Quitting

Post by Phoebe »

While I'm procrastinating on this ugly document I must finish, let me vent to you that the phrase Quiet Quitting is enraging BS that some team of "Capitalist Masters" dreamed up while waiting to tee off on the 15th one Tuesday afternoon. Journalists should have to flagellate themselves if they willingly use and spread this phrase through the world.

It requires no explanation but: doing your whole damn job is not quitting. It's called Working. Quietly deciding to maintain what threads of sanity and well-being you have left is not some kind of subterfuge against your employer; it's called Making it Another Day so that you don't have to ACTUALLY quit your job and leave your employer in the lurch in a situation where nobody can find staff.

What is this sick world coming to when employees are like, haha I have found a delightful trick called "sitting here doing what I'm supposed to and not letting my job totally destroy me and eat up all my waking hours!" and journalists find this Remarkable!
Kyle

Re: Quiet Quitting

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:30 pm While I'm procrastinating on this ugly document I must finish, let me vent to you that the phrase Quiet Quitting is enraging BS that some team of "Capitalist Masters" dreamed up while waiting to tee off on the 15th one Tuesday afternoon. Journalists should have to flagellate themselves if they willingly use and spread this phrase through the world.
Amen. I agree with all of this and it has been a thing that my wife and I have been low-key fuming about to each other every time it comes up on the news.

This is just another way to make people feel bad for not sacrificing everything for their jobs. Like there's something secretly bad about just doing your job. So gross.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Just spitballing here, but let's say during the pandemic two bosses emerged

New Normal boss: realizes the stress and uncertainty of the moment, coupled with low unemployment, and decided it was morally and/or busiinessly right to give their underlings a fricken break when it came to say figuring out daycare or working from home or shaking hands. In that way transitioned things to a new normal. In return, employees feel appreciated and welcome at their work -- and hapilly stayed at their jobs.

Back in My Day boss: resented... hated the new normal, wants things to return to the way things were, so is using this to claim no, we didn't go through a world-wide tragedy and we're only starting to work our way out of, it's that we've all become lazy.

Though will say I know a few examples of employee ghosting recently, people accepting jobs or attending jobs and then just leave without a trace. And as much as I'd personally give my two weeks etc, it is kinda funny at the shoe-is-on-the-other-foot as what 95% of all jobs I've applied for never got back to me. And a good percentage of jobs I applied for ghosted me. I think both aren't cool to do, but not angry about i.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ya, there seems to be a huge difference between workplaces that have been patient and understanding and trying to support people, and those which have gone down some other bad path. We always knew we did not have to be sitting there for all of those meetings, for instance. We knew that we would have much greater productivity if we could rearrange some of our errands and then substitute more work for it later.
People who are going to slack are going to find a way to slack even when they have to be in the office all the time - perhaps they're even better at it then!
People who are going to go that extra mile to put in effort because they really care about their work are going to do that regardless, but I think they'll do it even more if you give them the grace and flexibility. And then they're going to appreciate it a lot and stick with you.
It has been my goal to create the kind of workplace that nobody wants to leave and would feel terrible about having to leave. It might happen but at least they know it was a good home-base while it lasted.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Amelia Nagoski interviewed in the Atlantic says this about the term:
"Quiet quitting comes from the perspective of folks who have been selling not just their time, but their selves to their employer. So their experience feels like quitting. In that context, the term makes a lot of sense and is helpful."
Oh, okay - if it's just describing the phenomenology of pulling back this way, no problem. Except that the term has exploded all over popular media over the last month and definitely is used in pejorative ways. The term is now reframing the debate about exploiting employees and driving them to burnout, even at a time when unemployment is low, workers are in high demand, yet the exploitative practices aren't stopping. In certain professions like healthcare and teaching, people are being completely overwhelmed not only with the usual BS, but constant blame from a bunch of stupid people with political influence.

So does Amelia also have concerns that this might be happening with the use of the term? Not at all. Instead, she just indulges in a little casual ad hominem as if that solves the issue or does anything to put this problem in a light more favorable to working people:

"If an incurious person wants to say, “That’s just called ‘doing your job,’ duh,” then that person is missing out on learning something new about the experiences of others."

God knows if there's a word to describe me, it's incurious.
Mando

Post by Mando »

how does this relate to the phrase, "let the system work" or yet another one "let the system fail" ?

Is it doing less the 110%?

is it about throttling back when solid effort is scuttled by bad policy?

I think I am seeing all these referred to by the same phrase.

Also I read the title as "Quit Quitting" and thought it was part 2 of Living the Kyle Way
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

New wrinkle: it turns out the latest research is that workers have become more interested in unions since the pandemic. Also probably due to generation z starting to get into the workforce in the kinds of low-wage jobs at large companies that are seeing the increasing unionization efforts.