Trump

Mike

Trump

Post by Mike »

How did I not see this coming?

Massive cyberattack across multiple levels of government and American tech companies. Everyone agrees it was Russia. Most likely the Russian government. Secretary of State comes forward to blame the Russian government. Trump stays silent the entire time only to finally come forward to bravely say, "Nah. It was probably China."

Forking shirthead.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Stan

Re: Trump

Post by Stan »

Putin probably just asked Trump for his password.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I thought the whole reason this site went down for a month right before election day was so that this topic would never come up again.

Can't believe how scared he is of Russia. He's the annoying character in a TV show that never moves forward, always makes the same mistakes, always sabotaging others and themselves (ok, I'm thinking of Shane on The L Word, but comparing them seems cruel to Shane). But given how Russia might have access to a lot of our sensitive government and economic information, uhhh... I for one welcome our new insect overlords.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Stan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:55 pm Putin probably just asked Trump for his password.
You don’t have to ask. A Swedish guy guessed it twice: yourfired! and Maga2020!

That’s not a joke.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ha!! That's truth.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Stan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:55 pm Putin probably just asked Trump for his password.
Putin offered to take the password for free if Trump would move all our troops out of Syria and Afghanistan and hand over a quarter of our vaccine order, and Trump knows a good deal when he sees one, so he agreed.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Kyle wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:01 pm
You don’t have to ask. A Swedish guy guessed it twice: yourfired! and Maga2020!

That’s not a joke.
I heard it was a Nigerian Prince, and there wasn't guessing...but it does mean the President has solved our nation's budget shortfalls.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I know it sounds like a joke, but it was real:

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/presi ... 22291.html
Stan

Post by Stan »

That was just twitter. I was joking that Trump gave Putin top level security access. Based on when they've met and all his behavior, Trump is afraid of Putin, I'm assuming because of serious dirt.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I figure it's because of money but who knows. I would like to have a clearer assessment of what damage can be caused. Congress should take action at this point.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I feel like CNN finally went all in on Trump a few months ago. Their headlines are along the lines of "Trump's actions show he's still only out for himself."
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

A politico article came out with the leading candidates for 2024, and got a lot of anger for being too soon, but my feeling is that it's all too obvious. If I told you a president ran for reelection and lost, who'd be most likely to win the next election. It'd be

1. The winner - They won! They can run again in 4 years. They'll have incumbent advantage! They were elected once, maybe they'll be elected again!
2. The loser - If they had won they'd be ineligible to run in 4 years. They went from 0 chance to more than 0 chance, what a change in odds! Plus they were elected once, maybe they'll be elected again!
3. The winner's VP - hey if the winner doesn't stay on, they are primed to take over their voters
4. The loser's VP - if the loser doesn't run again, they are primed to take over their voters.

And that's the top 4 from Politico. What big swings.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

PewDiePie, my Google not-so-helpfully chooses to inform me, has won some sort of good looking face contest (even worse, the contest also includes personality factors like grace among its criteria). Given the long arc of the Republican party over the course of my lifetime, and the current sewer in which it has comfortably settled itself, I expect he will be the GOP candidate as soon as he is old enough. No idea how old he is or if he's even American, or human for that matter. I do know that man has an ugly face, and no, I'm not sorry for saying so because he has an ugly soul to match.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Well, he is a Nazi sympathizer, so he's got that going for him.
Mike

Post by Mike »

CNN just gave me this headline, and it amuses the shit out of me:

With Trump a no-show, Mar-a-Lago guests left to party maskless with Rudy Giuliani and Vanilla Ice
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

The phone call with GA SOS is really something.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

What do these people who plan to engage in revolutionary fighting back, or whatever they're doing, expect to do in order to retain Trump in office? Is the idea that if they physically prevent anyone else from entering the White House they will somehow keep him as a legitimate president? Are they going to go around and start hanging people in the public square? What exactly is the plan, I'm just curious? It fascinates me that these people think they alone own weaponry. The very people who think we are living in some kind of hellscape of MS-13, think that they and their beflagged pickup trucks are going to fight against that in a street war? Kids, where I live we don't even know if someone from MS-13 kills you because they put your body in a barrel of acid and dispose of the remnant in the woods somewhere and that's it. Meanwhile the rest of us paranoid white people are generally armed. The only people I wouldn't discuss that with are so liberal that they don't even like Biden. So I'm not clear how this works when we take up arms against our own people for Trump.
Mike

Post by Mike »

That's treason, right? Using your office to pressure people into breaking the law to overturn an election... that's treason, isn't it? I mean, I hate jumping to conclusions, but this seems really treasony.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

He just said he wanted the votes. That's just expressing a desire.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I'd love for an impeachment but I assume everyone just wants to run out the clock. Again, give Pense a few days at it. No doubt the Biden team bought a bunch of 46 memorabilia, so he can mess it up, really make the snowflakes cry.

Pelosi just reelected speaker. So here's a ranking of the most likely people to be president on Jan 21
1. Biden (default)
2. Harris (if death of Biden)
3. Pelosi (if almost-sucessful coup upends electoral college)
4. Trump (if successful coup)
Stan

Post by Stan »

If Trump gets the Georgia Secretary of State killed by some fanatic, does the family have grounds to sue Trump?
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Good question. They definitely should.

Back when impeachment was a fanciful dream and a disappointing reality, I noted that if Trump was going to be kicked out out, some senators will refuse because they want to scoop up his voters. I said the goal of these scoopers (Cruz and Paul I assumed but I guess you can substitute Paul for Hawley) would be that there's enough GOP senators willing to do the right thing that will allow you to do the opposite. Looks like they'll get their moment on Wednesday. It'll fail and they'll be rewarded. It must be exhausting to caucus with them.

I hope Mitch nixes all committee assignments for these traitors.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

poorpete wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:43 amI hope Mitch nixes all committee assignments for these traitors.
He won't. The clear message from the last 20 years is that Republicans and their wealthy patrons can do whatever they want, and never face consequences. The Bush administration tortured people; the person in charge of that program was promoted to head the agency. The financiers that almost destroyed the economy walked away with millions, and many of them got promoted. We've seen repeated violations of the Hatch Act by Trump's White House staff, and no one has been investigated let alone charged. Trump's cabinet members, and Jared Kushner, have repeatedly lied to Congress and/or the Defense Department, with no consequence. And Trumps has publicly and repeatedly advocated violence, with no consequence.

I expect that the Democrats will just try to move on, and focus on the future--which means that Republicans and financiers will continue to do the same things. And the next GOP president is likely to be more competent than Trump and his toadies. Which means that they might actually end democracy.
Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I read, I think via-Dave Weigel, that the thinking is, if Trump retires Dems move on, but if Trump is still using up oxygen in the political sphere and aims to run again, they'll be pushing for consequences. It's irritating but I kinda get it. And as much as I've warmed to George W. Bush's emerging empathy, I'll never forgive the torture stuff.

Having fun with inline images... did you see that all living Defense Secretaries said the election was decided and...
Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 1.34.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 1.34.13 PM.png (60.33 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

Both reassuring and scary at the same time. Doubly reassuring and scary because it was conceived by Dick Cheney.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Hell, even Paul Ryan spoke out against contesting Biden's election. He was probably smart to retire when he did, as he doesn't have the same taint that folks like Ron Johnson has, who hung around for Trump's full term.
Stan

Post by Stan »

My mind is messed up - I read that as "taint that folds" and thought it must be a medical condition or insult that was unknown to me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Most Congressional Republicans supporting Trump now fall into three categories, I think.

1. True believers.

2. Those in red enough districts that they fear "the base" turning on them. Loeffler and Purdue are here with the immediacy of the runoffs.

3. 2024 presidential hopefuls. People like Ted Cruz who are hoping against hope that Trump doesn't run again, and then they can claim to be the rightful steward of the base's outrage.

Maybe these categories are obvious, and I don't know how much they help me, but there they are.
Mike

Post by Mike »

From Edward Norton: Call Trump's Bluff

"I’m no political pundit but I grew up with a dad who was a federal prosecutor, and he taught me a lot.

I’ve also sat at a fair amount of poker tables with serious players, and l’ll say this: I do not think Trump is trying to ‘make his base happy’ or ‘laying the groundwork for his own network’ or that ‘chaos is what he loves’.

The core of it is that he knows he’s in deep, multi-dimensional legal jeopardy, and this defines his every action.

We’re seeing 1) a tactical delay of the transition to buy time for a coverup and evidence suppression 2) above all, a desperate endgame, which is to create enough chaos and anxiety about a peaceful transfer of power, and fear of irreparable damage to the system, that he can cut a Nixon-style deal in exchange for finally conceding.

But he doesn’t have the cards. His bluff after ‘the flop’ has been called in court. His ‘turn card’ bluff will be an escalation and his ‘river card’ bluff could be really ugly. But they have to be called. We cannot let this mobster bully the USA into a deal to save his ass by threatening our democracy.

THAT is his play. But he’s got junk in his hand. So call him.

I will allow that he’s also a whiny, sulky, petulant, Grinchy, vindictive little 10-ply-super-soft bitch, who no doubt is just throwing a wicked pout fest and trying to give a tiny-hand middle finger to the whole country for pure spite, without a single thought for the dead and dying.

But his contemptible, treasonous, seditious assault on the stability of our political compact isn’t about 2024, personal enrichment or anything else other than trying to use chaos and threats to the foundation of the system as leverage to trade for a safe exit.

Call. His. Bluff.

Faith in the strength of our sacred institutions and founding principles is severely stretched, but they will hold. They will. He’s leaving, gracelessly and in infamy. But if we trade for it, give him some brokered settlement, we’ll be vulnerable to his return.

We can’t flinch."
Stan

Post by Stan »

Damb Mike, two solid posts in a row.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I know his big defeat is coming today, but seemingly losing the two Georgia seats might be the true turning point in GOP's all-in on Trump. For years, maybe less maybe more, people will wonder the alternate reality where the GOP made it about being a conservative check on Biden and not get taken-in with Trump's coup attempt. I think the next four plus years will be about that and not some play to conspiracies and conspirators. Maybe it's early in the morning and I'm delusional...

That said I do worry the Dems will see this as the grand-awakening of a blue Georgia and not an extremely close race where luck and bad candidates and an awful president played a part. Gimme an Obama senate victory in an otherwise GOP year and I'll be more confident.
Screenshot_20210106-071813.png
Screenshot_20210106-071813.png (151.92 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
WillyGilligan

Post by WillyGilligan »

I also don't think this changes much about what Georgians believe or want in their politics. It's more about relationship dynamics between the voters and the parties. Take Trump and the circus out of this year, it goes differently. I do, however, think the Dems have two years to accomplish what they're going to before the midterm backlash, so don't get cocky. But unlike Trump, they will have more plans ready to go on day one.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

Actually, in Georgia, two things happened. First, helluva of community effort to make the votes happen. And second, demographic shift.

And the psychological effect of feeling like votes matter for once is huge. Do not write off Dems in Georgia in the long run...they are only getting started.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I hope congress renews and strengthens the voter rights act to end voter suppression and keep close states blue.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

That should be the first thing. Along with putting two justices on supreme court, and replacing Souter.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

If the BLM movement had done what Trump's racist thugs are doing, the police would have shot 15-20 of them.
Reel on a repeating loop
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

None of these things are going to happen legislatively. With a 50/50 split, there's no way they're packing the Court. Maybe the voting rights act. But I'm not even convinced they'll pass more stimulus.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

This is a cluster fuck.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Yet totally unsurprising. People who have been swallowing lies for decades and have been worked up into a frenzy are going to act on their delusions.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

This is the consequence of "humoring" Trump and lying to millions of people with conspiracies and falsehoods.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

seditious.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

They've called the other GA race of Ossoff.

When Congress is able to get back to their session, any GOP rep/sen that continues to object is utterly reprehensible.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Tahlvin wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:32 pm They've called the other GA race of Ossoff.

When Congress is able to get back to their session, any GOP rep/sen that continues to object is utterly reprehensible.
They will continue.
Reel on a repeating loop
Stan

Post by Stan »

Actual explosive devices found at the capitol.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

A friend of mine was watching MSNBC when the lady who was shot in the chest was carted off.

I believe that we'll wake up tomorrow and everything will be under control, but people need to look hard at this. This is how we lose democracies. How we react to this is important to preserving our democracy.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I feel this historically lands near Shay's Rebellion or the Whisky Rebellion.

The Maga Rebellion.

Depressing that those were at the start of our democracy, less depressing that their suppression helped strengthen our nation. God.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mitch Mcconnell warns that overriding the will of the voter would damage our Republic forever. Too little, too fucking late, Senator.

NPR is referring to the protesters as "insurrectionists".

Romney also calls it an insurrection and say directly that Trump made it happen.

I could see MAGA Insurrection as a proper title here. Not rebellion. There's too many tales where rebels get painted as the good guys. I hope the media doesn't give them that.
Stan

Post by Stan »

People have been openly talking about this yet security was surprised.

Many people will be surprised to find that breaking into a federal building with hundreds of cameras present will land them in jail.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Yup. I kinda worry about a pardon for these guys though. 🦆 Trump. <-- we got emojis now?!

Insurrection was used by Romney and George W Bush. the Maga Insurrection... ok history, it's good to go
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

After seeing video of capitol police opening the barriers to let protesters in, and posing for selfies with them in the capitol building, there is some cleaning of the house that needs to occur.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Twitter gave him an ultimatum, any more bad behavior and he's banned. I hope tonight his cabinet does the same.