Movies we've seen in 2022

Mike

Movies we've seen in 2022

Post by Mike »

Mike's List
Encanto
Mean Girls
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mike

Re: Movies we've seen in 2022

Post by Mike »

Encanto
Great film! Both of my older sons independently watched this and then highly recommended it to us. They were not wrong. What a wonderful movie. It's a fast-paced, clever, funny, and touching movie about a family living in a magical house where all the family members have a special gift. All except Mirabel. And then Disney magic happens, except it's even better, because it's mostly written by Lin Manuel Miranda, and the whole thing is wonderful.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Funny Girl

Oh, this had me all in from the beginning! It's great, although the gender dynamic is a bit disappointing but as far as I know accurate to how it was. Anyways, Barbara is amazing in this, funny, dramatic, funny, and goddamn she can belt a tune with pathos! One of the best performances I've seen on film in a long time. She owned every second of this film. After Yentl blowing me away a little over a year ago, I might be on my way to being a Babs fan. I'm 41, so that sounds about at the right time, right?

This is also the first film I watched in VR. Amazon Prime on Oculus has a fun set up that makes it feel as is I'm in a small theater. It's wonderful and a tiny bit lonely but not any less lonely than watching it on my phone with headphones on. I guess my face hurts a tiny bit more too, wearing a goggle helmet for 150 minutes
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mean Girls
This movie is now old enough to be a senior in high school. We are taking our two high schoolers to see the touring musical production in a couple months, so we decided to watch the original to give them the background for it.

Movie holds up surprisingly well. We all really enjoyed it. The kids were able to relate to it and had a good time.

There are a couple bits that are not going to age well, which is a problem Tina Fey has been called out for in other areas, but my kids immediately recognized those parts. Most of the race-based jokes (not a lot of them, but they stood out) they dismissed as no longer appropriate, bit for gender and sexuality stuff, Eli immediately asked how old the film was and then said, "Yeah, okay, so it was mostly progressive at the time. They're trying to do the right thing."

But that's all minor stuff. It was really fun. Tina Fey's writing is sharp and funny, the cast is pretty awesome. Plus, it was Lindsay Lohan's last big hit before the world drove her over the edge (her next--and last--family movie was Herbie: Fully Loaded, and by then she was already considered "problematic").
Mando

Post by Mando »

I watched Fried Green Tomatoes with my 19 y.o. daughter. We had a great time. She is learning to add non-action movies to her list of things she is willing to watch. It was fun to see a younger version of Chris O'donnell.
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Watched the original six Star Trek films for the first time in 20+ years.

Ranking:
IV - Voyage Home - my favorite as a youth, and my favorite today. Funny fish out of water stuff. A great comedy!
II - Wrath of Khan - just because Khan is so much fun and the final scenes were etched in my brain three decades later, it's so moving
VI - Undiscovered Country - a tidy mystery. Love how much older they're getting but how on-game everyone is.
III - Search for Spock - underrated, full of fun characters and a satisfying plot and conclusion
I - The Motion Picture - unlike all other Star Trek films for worse and for better! Long meandering special effect scenes? No thank you AND yes please!
V - The Final Frontier - not terrible. Mixes the silliness of Voyage Home with the seriousness of the others and sometimes it works. And... sometimes it doesn't.
zen

Post by zen »

Needle in a Timestack

I stumbled upon this the other night thanks to the wonders of promotional placement. I was flipping around on the main screen of the FireTV and saw a title that intrigued me, watched the trailer, and decided to invest 1 hour and 50 minutes of my life watching the movie.

It’s based on a novel by Robert Silverberg and set in a world where time travel exists and the rich use it for leisure, and more nefarious purposes. (Of course, changing the past is a crime… but…) It stars Leslie Odom Jr. and Orlando Bloom also has a large role. It’s quite dystopian in nature, as most time travel stories are, because how can we not screw up our lives if we’re messing with time? It’s on Amazon Prime…
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Sounds cool! Might have to check this one out!