Nerd Pride Radio Fitness Club

Tahlvin

Nerd Pride Radio Fitness Club

Post by Tahlvin »

Update: For those who haven’t been following along, I was finally able to run again after fracturing a toe, and had worked back up to 8 miles at an 8 minute mile pace, when our treadmill broke. The walking platform cracked while I was running on it. I contacted the manufacturer, and they are sending a replacement platform that I’ll have to install myself. And due to COVID, it will take 2-3 weeks to ship it. It’s under warranty, and I have the extended warranty and maintenance plan, so it’d be nice if someone came and fixed it for us and hauled away the broken piece, rather than us having to do all of that ourselves, but at least they’re sending something and it’s not costing us anything but the time to do the work. In the meantime, I’m riding the stationary bike and getting biker’s quads.
Phoebe

Re: Nerd Pride Radio Fitness Club

Post by Phoebe »

Nice, what sort of bike do you have? I love the bike. I need fitness help. Nine months now of no gym and massive amounts of comfort food cooking have not been kind. It's like I'm trying to turn myself into a soft, cuddly pillow, except that was not the plan at all. I lack motivation. Doing the bike more would be good! Post your bike workouts and maybe some neuron will fire somewhere and I'll slowly drag myself, slug-like, up onto the bike.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'm not sure what brand the bike is. It's an inclined bike, rather than one of the usual upright ones. We got it mainly for my wife to use, because the upright bike would have been too much with her back and neck issues. I usually do an hour on the bike, in 15 minute cycles: the first 5 minutes of each cycle on the highest resistance, then next 5 taking it down one notch, and the next 5 taking it down another notch, then back to the max and repeating the cycle for the next 15 minutes, and so on. It doesn't have near the calorie burn as running, but it's better than nothing.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Finally got the replacement walking deck for the treadmill this past week, and was able to replace it yesterday. So this morning, for the first time since November, I was able to run again! It was only 4 miles at a slow 7 mph pace, but it was something! I have to work back into it again, and watch out for a sore tendon on the outside of my right ankle, which is sore from pushing it too hard on the bicycle.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

After first day of running, legs were sore. After second day of running, legs were even more sore, saying, "What the f, dude! We thought you were joking about doing that again!" After the third day of running, I think they're starting to accept the fact that this is happening again and getting into the spirit of it.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I got the RingFit "game" for Switch, which is really light resistance training with a pilates ring. It's good for someone like me who likes that sort of thing but doesn't like training videos but still needs some sort of external assistance to mix things up. At least when I'm not able to go out running. I've been enjoying it, which is the best part!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yeah! Hey, Wii Fit and it's yoga lessons played a key role in helping get me going on regular exercise. So if you enjoy it and it's healthy, that's great!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

So glad to hear that you are running again and it's going well! Happy feet, Happy life.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yesterday was a full 6 miles at 7.5 mph pace. This morning was a full 8 miles at 7 mph pace, with the last 0.125 miles at an 8 mph pace. Gradually increasing the speed and distance.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I've exercised on this day. I was forced to leave the house multiple times and don my "fat pants" as if I am a competent and functional professional. These experiences are quite motivating for exercise. I do not wish to be a miserable slug.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh for real back on that workout program now - I don't want to get too confident about it until a couple of weeks pass, but at least I've been doing enough to awaken all the little muscles that workouts used to require, and now the chorus of little muscles is screaming in agony in unison!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles this morning, including 1 full mile at 8 mph pace.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

When I'm in my low rider I don't even drive that fast. :shock:
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I've a little ways to go before I'm back up to running that pace for a full 6-7 miles, or running short quarter- to half-mile stretches at 8.5 to 9 mph. But I hope to get back there soon.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Shit. I was running in place this morning to warm up for my strength workout, and there was a pop and a sharp pain in left calf as the muscle tore. Now I can barely walk, and both running and cycling are out of the question for probably 6 weeks or so. Shit.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Noooooooooo!

This sucks.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Damn it! I'm sorry, T, that sucks. I hope it doesn't hurt too bad :(
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

This is the worst one I've ever had. I read that there are 3 different classes of calf tears, class 1 being minor where you're able to finish the run you were on when it happened, class 2 being medium where you cannot finish your run, and class 3 being serious where you actually hear the pop and the muscle/tendon separates from the bone. I do not recall actually hearing the pop, only feeling it, and I don't think it's physically separated from the bone, but it sure hurts like hell, so I think it's on the upper end of a class 2. Right now, putting almost any pressure on the calf to flex my toes upwards towards my knee causes pain, so walking is a delicate operation.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I've had a calf tear exactly like what you're describing. I was hobbled for a good week. I couldn't use it at all the first two days and then with a limp for the next four or five. It sucks, man. I'm sorry.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh noooooo just when the foot was treating you well!!! Hope it heals quickly. Tell the foot to have a serious discussion with that rebel. Maybe yoga can keep the pain/tightness from spreading? Does it hurt when you're not flexing it?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yoga's not happening. There's no way I can stretch that calf in the ways yoga would without it coming disconnected from the bone or causing such excruciating pain that I would pass out. While it's better this morning than it was yesterday, it's still painful to even walk on it. So I remain at the RICE stage: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

It's been a week since the injury. I'm able to walk almost normal, though there's still a spasm of pain if I push off too hard on my left foot. And with the sudden stop in almost all physical activity, I gained almost 5 pounds in the first 24-48 hours, and I'm up to about 6-7 pounds added at this point. I've tried to cut back on the amount I eat given the reduced physical activity, but some weight gain is inevitable. Hopefully in another week or so, I'll be able to get some light activity in on the treadmill or stationary bike.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ooooof, poor foot! Not good, foot! But at least healing is happening in some way. Getting old is ridiculous, the impudent parts begin to break.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Shoveling snow is my fitness plan.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Worked out this morning for the first time since I injured my calf on January 27. Still can't run, even a little bit, without feeling a knot in my calf, so I'm taking it easy. Interestingly enough, jumping jacks don't seem to bother it. After my strength workout, I did 30 easy minutes on the stationary bike without the calf feeling anything unusual. Progress!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Interesting and good news! I wonder what it is about the running gait that upsets the muscle, while just pushing on the pedals or even jumping side to side does not bother it? Things are complicated in there! I would love to take an anatomy course just to figure out all these kinds of differences, particularly when it comes to the back and the way different body parts are connected to the different areas of the spine.

Shoveling remains my fitness plan, and it's not an all bad one. Also carrying objects around. And putting on socks. What a misery. I once had to break up with a dude dated for short duration because the insensate, bizarre way he put on his socks was so distressing to witness. He would just shove the foot in there, straight in without adjustment, without regard for heel or toe positioning, without regard for the elastic nature of socks generally - none of it. It's hard to describe - he would put his foot in there like the sock was a board he was trying to karate chop in half with his foot - not even his toe, like he wouldn't point the toe or aim the toe - the toe was inert. It just went shoving in, inertly, along with the rest of the foot. It wasn't the ONLY reason, ok, but it was one of the factors standing out as memorable, so. It was a very early stage of dating and he did not have a nice smell, either, which as we know is 99% of dating. However, I don't think it takes much insight to conclude the sock thing was a kind of precursor of sexuality problems that could have arisen later. You can't be touched by a person who jabs his foot into a sock like that.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Interestingly enough, I was able to do my plyometrics workout this morning, which consists of a lot of jumping and squats. The muscle mechanics of jumping up and down do not seem to both the particular location in the calf that is injured, but running does. It's like pushing off my foot vertically is okay, but pushing off in a horizontal direction is not.
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

Tahlvin wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:46 am Interestingly enough, I was able to do my plyometrics workout this morning, which consists of a lot of jumping and squats. The muscle mechanics of jumping up and down do not seem to both the particular location in the calf that is injured, but running does. It's like pushing off my foot vertically is okay, but pushing off in a horizontal direction is not.
Do you jump off toes or heel?

Do you run on your toes or heel?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

FlameBlade wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:52 am Do you jump off toes or heel?

Do you run on your toes or heel?
When I jump, I launch off and land on the balls of my feet. When I run, I push off the balls of my feet and land on either the heel or sometimes the ball.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It is good that it's working fine for squats and such. You have probably already looked at things like this but I am fascinated by all these little moving parts: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/ap1x9 ... -and-foot/
I'm trying to understand how yoga and related stretching moves interact with these parts - I find it so weird that, for example, a small muscle in your back or your hip flexor can have ripple affects across the entire body and how its muscles are functioning together. I don't know how one studies this properly - it isn't just anatomy, but maybe more like what they would teach a massage therapist.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

The calf is a little sore this morning. But to be fair, my entire body is sore! Any time I take even a week off of working out, my muscles rebel when I start back up. And having taken a month off, they are really pissed that this is starting again.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Having nice walkies lately, nice weather! It encourages the body to move about. Also I wish for a nap.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Ran this morning for the first time since I blew out my calf. Just 3 miles in 30 minutes, but it felt good. The calf is still a bit iffy when running in place, where all my weight is on one foot at a time and I'm pushing off straight up instead and fully extending the foot, rather than pushing off more horizontally. But it's improving!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Does it make a difference if it's on a flat surface or inclined in one direction or another?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Running uphill is definitely more stressful on it. I only run on treadmills anymore, not outside, because the road camber always puts too much stress on one leg vs. the other, so I haven't tried (and don't plan to try) whether side-to-side incline matters.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I just want to make clear that I am not fat shaming myself or anyone else. No, I embrace the glorious fat of ice cream and other delicious dairy products! I embrace it fully. I'm just f****** unhealthy and sick of it. I love my body. I do not love being unhealthy.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

My 4 mile time is down under 34 minutes: first 3 miles at 7 mph pace, last mile at 7.5 mph. By the end of the week, it should be down to 32 minutes. Calf still bothers me a little when I run in place and really bring my knees up high, but it's improving.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

4 miles in 32 minutes (7.5 mph the entire time).

The biggest struggle for me when I take a break from running and start back up, is to get control of my breathing.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is great! What a long recovery it has been, yet seems to be holding! Powers.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

My weekend goal is to get my slow distance runs up to 8 miles at 7 mph pace, then next week I'll work on getting my 4 mile time down to 30 minutes again. That last one may take a couple weeks to reach, if the breathing doesn't get back into rhythm.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Spring is helping motivate. One wants to be loose working outdoors. Future exercise plan: shoveling mulch!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yesterday's 4 mile time was 31:45. Today's was 31:30. The last mile was a 7-1/2 minute mile. And I was wheezing at the end of it. But I made it.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Boom let's chalk up the wheezing to Springtime then, and you're back good as new!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

10 miles in 1 hour and 23 minutes. I alternated, 1 mile at 7 mph and 1 mile at 7.5 mph for the whole way.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

4 miles in 30 minutes 45 seconds. Breathing is finally settling into the right rhythm.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Had to back things off the rest of last week. My stamina seemed to be less than usual, and I don't know if it was a side effect of getting vaccinated. It seems to be doing better this week, so I'm starting to pick it back up again. Today's 4 mile time was 31:30.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Good work on this! I made a plan to make a plan. I'm in bad straits. Keep the posts coming, they are motivation!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I stopped going for speed and am focusing on distance. My daily run is back up to 6 miles per day, done mostly at 7.5 mph. I'll give that a couple weeks and then start to pick up the speed a little bit at a time.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yesterday's 6 mile run took 47:54, today's took 47:47. I'm increasing the speed, but different. Rather than jumping straight from 7.5 to 8.0 for short distances and building up, I'm gradually increasing the speed over longer distances. Today was 7.5 mph for 4 miles then 7.6 mph for 2 miles. Tomorrow I'll try to do 7.5 mph for 2 miles and 7.6 mph for 4 miles. By the end of the week, I should be 7.6 mph for the full 6 miles. Small increase in speed, over a longer distance, and giving the body a chance to adapt to it. Then next week, I'll start at 7.6 mph in increase it to 7.7 mph. Another small increase in speed over a longer distance, shouldn't require much more effort. In 5 weeks or so, I should be up to 8.0 mph for a full 6 miles, which is my goal.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Today's 6 mile time: 47:13. Felt good.