Nerd Pride Radio Fitness Club

Phoebe

Re: Nerd Pride Radio Fitness Club

Post by Phoebe »

Wow, shaving almost a minute off! Glad that the injuries seem to be healed up nicely now. We are getting really close to yard work time which should be helpful to my fitness plan along with the hiit and weights. However, dog walking is no longer meaningless for this purpose, because my kids have been taking the younger dog out and permitting him to totally violate any semblance of leash manners. And he is almost as strong as I am - super close - so getting him back on track does require a certain amount of workout effort. My jacket pocket is going to be all stinky with treats for the next month, lol!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

10 miles in 1:23:01.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I need to go work out. I went for a long walk this morning with canine. It was tiring but I don't think it was the right kind of exercise. I need to get on the bike. I hear it calling to me as I vacillate wildly between virtue of a sweet potato and chicken thigh and the wild debauchery of watermelon lime sorbet AND chocolate covered pretzel caramel ice cream. In much the same way that a sweet potato and kale are two different ways of getting vegetable nutrients, sorbet and ice cream are such different kinds of food that you might need both. I thought maybe if I posted something here it would shame me into getting up and going to ride the bike. So far nothing is happening. I must ride and I will ride.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles in 47:03. Did 7.6 mph for 4 miles, 7.7 mph for 1.5 miles, and 8.0 mph for 0.5 miles. Breathing is coming along much better now that I'm increasing it slowly.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I rode and I destroyed all the things but now I'm tired today and don't feel like riding. Tomorrow.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 46:51.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Do you feel you are back in your normal rhythm now? I rode again but half-heartedly. We vacillate here between not enough sleep and being overcome by exhausted sleep. 5 hours one day, 9 the next - I am hoping that normal exercise will help even things out a little.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'm not quite back to peak shape, but I've definitely improved. After the calf injury, when I stopped working out completely, I ended up gaining almost 15 pounds. At this point, I've lost almost all of that. The calf still feels a little odd when I do certain movements during my workout warmups and push off of one leg vertically, but otherwise seems to be doing fine. And I think I'm starting to get that thing now where my brain actually needs less sleep, because it gets to zone out for almost an hour every morning and longer on Saturday morning when I'm distance running.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yes, I need that in my life! I understand that certain activities that put you in the flow state will do that, much like hypnosis reduces your need for sleep. You know for some reason this is the first time it ever occurred to me that I could go to the hypnotist and see if he can help with weight loss. They can't implant suggestions in your mind but what they can do is help you to focus deeply on your plan, and somehow it provides strength and resolve when you go to execute the plan. They can't do magic in other words, but it's kind of like a deep-guided meditation that helps you get on track. I went off the track, off the ties, tumbled down the gravel fill, rolled through the ditch, was dragged across three fields, and now I'm sitting there trying to figure out where the hell I walk to get back on the fitness track. However, the good news is that I am being left alone for larger chunks of the day now and can make my own purely vegetable lunches with ease.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 46:43. Baby step to 45:00.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 46:27. And on just a couple hours of sleep.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Killing the rune giant got you all fired up!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

A half-marathon, 13.1 miles, 1:51:56. It was ugly, with lots of short breaks towards the end to take a drink of water and wipe sweat out of my eyes. And there were times, at 10 miles, 11 miles, and 12 miles, where I said "I've do as much (or more, depending on the distance) than I had done last weekend, I can stop without beating myself up about it." But I forced myself to keep going and reached the goal I set for myself, and finish the full 13.1 miles. Now to make it less ugly, with less frequent "stopping" breaks (and just drinking on the run). And when that's done in a month or so, I can work on getting the time down below 1:50. Then back down to 1:45.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Dude, I'm not sure I could walk 13 miles even with a hiking stick or, let's say better still, a walker. Or if I did I could do it across the span of a whole day or maybe two days?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Interestingly enough, the part of me that hurt worst after the half-marathon is my shoulders. My legs stiffened up a bit, but getting up and walking around frequently helps loosen them up, and they don't ache so much because of the speed work done on weekdays. We have a foot massager, and that helps keep my feet from hurting much. But running long distances, your arms end up moving back and forth quite a bit, and if you're not used to it, your shoulder muscles wear out and tighten up. A few more weekends of half-marathons and that should improve.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 46:20.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 46:13.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles in 45:59. First 5 miles at 7.8 mph, 0.5 miles at 7.9, 3/8 at 8.0, and 1/8 at 8.5 mph.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Do you have a sense of how many miles you've run in total, like when you hit a milestone in the thousands? Some runners keep track of this I guess and that is pretty cool.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Our treadmill is connected to an iFit account, which keeps track of distance, time, calories burned, etc. I usually only keep track of my mileage by week, which is now at about 41.1 miles per week, not including cool downs after each run. For the past year, it's 1,196 miles and 162 hours, 41 minutes and 37 seconds. I didn't start using iFit until about a year ago, so I can't say what it was like much further back than that. And there were several points during the past year when I had to stop running due to injuries, so much of that mileage was actually accrued over about 6-7 months worth of time. In general, though, I don't pay attention to longer term distance goals like that, I focus more on goals for individual runs, such as 6 miles in 45 minutes, or finishing a half-marathon in a certain time.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That is awesome! So many miles!! I see certain people every day running in my neighborhood. They look happy in the zone and it makes me want to try and then I think, someday later when my knees don't have to support as much. I had to go to the doctor and apparently I haven't gained that much weight but it feels to me like everything went the wrong direction after a year without the gym. By last year I was running for fun enjoying it so maybe? Maybe again sometime. But in the meantime I'm going to enjoy living vicariously through your running!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 45:48.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Continuing on with my plan of gardening for fitness. I wear myself out by gardening. That's the plan. So far it's working.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

13.1 miles in 1:51:44, and far fewer breaks than last weekend's run. And according to my Apple health summary, I'm already at 22,431 steps for the day. Resting heart rate is back down in the low-40s.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 45:35.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 45:18. Did 4 miles at 7.9 mph, 1.75 miles at 8.0 mph, and 0.25 miles at 8.5 mph. Was soaking wet when finished.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 44:55, 8 mph the whole way. Wasn't quite as easy as I hoped, but I finished. After a couple more times, it should get easier.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

6 miles, 44:49, 5.75 miles at 8 mph, 0.25 miles at 8.5 mph. It's weird, but the last few days, my breathing has gotten easier, and it's like my lung capacity has expanded and it feels like I'm using a deeper part of my lungs that I wasn't using before. My running stride has also lengthened, so it takes fewer steps to travel the same distance. So things are improving.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am a human potato.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Half-marathon in 1:49:09.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I was going to note for posterity that I have achieved some fitness again, and then I read the last few posts and it was so hilarious that I have abandoned this project.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Don't abandon your attempts! Do something! Anything!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I mixed things up a little bit with this morning's run. Still 6 miles, finished in 46:18. I did 1 mile at 8 mph with no incline, then 1/4 mile at 7.5 mph and 0.5% incline, then 3/4 mile at 7.5 mph and 1% incline, then repeated that same pattern for the whole 6 miles, except for the last 1/4 mile being at 8.5 mph and 1% incline. So the time was a bit slower, but I'm adding in a bit of an incline during the slower miles to increase the work load. Over the course of the 6 mile run, my elevation gain was 138 feet, or the equivalent of over 12 stories. I'll try that for a week or two and see what happens. Thankfully, this is possible because the calf seems to be back to almost 100%.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

After hiking through Colorado for a week at 10,000 feet, I decided to use that as a kickstart to walking my two miles a day again. It was remarkably easy after having my body acclimate to the elevation and then descend back down to 800 feet.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Now that my year of pandemic teaching has wound down I've been getting back to running. I'm only at 5,500 elevation or so, but I'm covering four miles in 40 minutes.
My goal is to run 10ks by the other end of summer, and I think I'll be able to do it!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Great to hear that for both of you!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Tahlvin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 am Don't abandon your attempts! Do something! Anything!
Ahhh I did the attempts in the real world, I just abandoned the attempt to discuss it because it went from potato to marathon to I rode my bike some, lol! But I do enjoy riding the bike - it provides such a profound sense of freedom just like when you're a kid. It feels like flying.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yeah! You're doing something! And it makes you happy!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

13.1 miles in 1:46:46 with an elevation gain of 238 feet (almost 22 stories).
Mando

Post by Mando »

i have tendinopathy and I will probably never run again...not that i did it much, but man....use it or lose it folks
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am trying to do the things. Unfortunately I undercut my success. I have been doing a lot of yard work and physical activity, combined with eating mostly vegetables and such. But then on a day like today I will eat a piece of pie and two giant crab cakes and a smoothie and some of the delicious blueberry sauce I made and it all trickles down hill.
Mando

Post by Mando »

I have tendinopathy...treadmill is best I can do now... eating fruits and nuts for breakfast, a wrap for lunch and grilled veggies and a meat for supper.
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That sounds pretty good - tis the season for the grilling of veggies and meats! That's our basic dinner at least once a week, whenever the weather is suited for grilling. I have a pretty good routine going where I have to do yard work in the morning, pre-shower, and then maybe a walk or bike in the evening, or if it's hot, a bike or weights indoors. The older I get the more I intensely dislike hot weather, and I already intensely disliked it. I'm hot 99% of the day even indoors in A/C with a fan. Last night around midnight the temperature finally dropped perceptibly and the man says, "finally it is hot - if you're hot right now then I can finally understand it". I was for the first time in days at a comfortable/cool temperature. Opposite sleep cycles, opposite thermostats, and I wonder if there is an underlying connection. This is not the kind of thing major funders fund so we don't get the research, but I have many hypotheses and I want to know! Two opposite people then created three kids, two of which are like one parent and one of which is like the other, with respect to either "rises early, hates heat and loves cold" or "rises late and likes warmth and wears a jacket in hot weather like a nut".
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

5.57 miles in 64 minutes.

5 minute fast walk.
3 18 minute sets with 1 minute walks in between.
5 minute cool down.

Tahlvin will be on his second beer, but I'm okay with that 😅
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

You're moving! That's what counts! Progress will come! It takes me a couple months to get up to speed after recovering from an injury. But before that, it took years of regular exercise to be able to get to that point.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Have been exercising a lot lately and more importantly perhaps, trying to eat a lot less. But it is too hot to do anything outside the house.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My attempt to bootleg crossfit routines from home with natural objects, like trees, has resulted in an angry brachioradialis or whatever that chunk of forearm calls itself. Say what you will about crossfit but the weeping and sobbing was only ever temporary and not due to actual injury, just soreness. It was the sign of growth. This appears to be the sign of decay. However, I can take solace in being strong as a goddamn ox and stronger than that Marge Green wench. I'm eating garlic hummus to heal my arm and after hauling this damn tree around it is the most succulent and delicious hummus the world has known.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I have started swimming again. I've gotten really fat and out of shape since I did it before, so it's a struggle. But I'm working at it.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am proud of you for doing it, something delightful! Swimming is so nice.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Glad you're doing something, Akiva! And take care of the injury, Phoebe! It sucks, but don't let it stop you from doing something to work on your fitness!