HBO Max is the best streaming channel.

Kyle

HBO Max is the best streaming channel.

Post by Kyle »

Mike and Aidan were discussing this on the podcast and figuring out if it is worth it. I’ve had HBO Max for a few months and it’s hands down the best streaming channel for me. It has a robust back catalog of Warner’s, HBO and other content, and it’s original content is great. I love the documentaries, but I’m also a huge fan of Doom Patrol, which hits the perfect tone of gonzo, irreverent superhero show- much better than The Boys (which I enjoy, but often feels soulless).

At $15 a month, I would not have said it was worth it until this week when Roku and Warners finally struck a deal to stream on Roku. Prior to this, we had to watch it through our PlayStation. I was talking to my wife and we agreed we’d give up Netflix before HBO because Netflix has been focused on churning out algorithmic garbage that often is an inferior clone of some other generic show that wasn’t that great to start with.

And these were my conclusions BEFORE the announcement that they’d release all their movies on day and date with theatrical release. That’s just gravy.
Mike

Re: HBO Max is the best streaming channel.

Post by Mike »

Wow. That's pretty persuasive. Thank you for the review. I may have to change my mind now.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I'll probably pick it up for a bit at some point. Right now, I've got a ton of unwatched stuff on Netflix and Amazon. How's the foreign language content on HBO Max? I need the occasional K drama and Chinese fantasy. I also need to try Alice in Borderland.

Doom Patrol is good - saw it on DVD from the library.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I haven't even gotten to the foreign language stuff- so I don't know how it is or if it exists.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Stan what is the occasional K drama worth watching? Or Chinese drama? I need to know. I can do subtitles!
I just figured out while Christmas shopping that I can make a profile for Amazon Prime JUST FOR ME, what a victory, hahahahaaa! I have loaded it up with every period drama I could find.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I'll review what I've watched and get back to you.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

If you have Amazon prime there is some HBO add-on which apparently we have - is that the same as HBO max or something different? It's getting complicated and Netflix stopped having good British historical dramas, so here we are. Actually looking forward to a slothful period of TV.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

It’s not the same. A lot of old HBO shows are on Amazon, but the Max catalog is far larger than just HBO.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Phoebe, if you want British shows, look into BritBox.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yancey raves nonstop about BritBox.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Phoebe wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:55 pm Stan what is the occasional K drama worth watching? Or Chinese drama? I need to know. I can do subtitles!
I just figured out while Christmas shopping that I can make a profile for Amazon Prime JUST FOR ME, what a victory, hahahahaaa! I have loaded it up with every period drama I could find.
Keep in mind that K dramas are cheesy and are required to have a romance aspect along with drama. Ones I've liked on Netflix (I've seen only a very small sample of what Netflix has available):
Mystic Pop-up Bar - woman is betrayed and commits suicide. In modern day, she must help a thousand people to repent. The acting is fun for this.
Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung - period piece (this are very popular, get to see their weird mesh hats) about first group of women allowed to be historians. Quite a bit of court intrigue.
Oh My Ghost - chef becomes possessed by a lustful virgin ghost who helps her achieve her desires. (spirits, demons, and the afterlife are common elements)
Triad Princess - short one about the daughter of a mafia boss who wants to be the bodyguard of her heart throb.
Miss Panda and Mr Hedgehog - romance between pastry chefs. Many cute side characters.

Not on Netflix but Dramaworld is an American show about a girl obsessed with K dramas who gets sucked into one.

Chinese fantasy:
There are a few Detective Dee movies, usually one is on Netflix. They're like James Bond dealing with imperial intrigues with a touch of fantasy elements. For a while, historical dramas showing imperial excess have been popular (I think the government likes showing how bad past governments were. But the government has become less keen, I think because people have noticed the parallel between past and present - impenetrable bureaucracies which affect people's lives in arbitrary ways.)

If you liked Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the sequel, Sword of Destiny in on Netflix.

there are several Chinese fantasy dramas with strong comedic elements but I'm blanking on the names.

If looks like Netflix dropped Hero, House of Flying Daggers, and Flying Swords of Dragon Gate but those are fun if you find them.

Bonus: Ghost Bride - 19th century Malaysian fantasy with romance and spirits.