The most Seagal thing I've seen in years

Mike

The most Seagal thing I've seen in years

Post by Mike »

My son just sent me this:

1. Steven Seagal wrote a book titled "The Way of the Shadow Wolves: The Deep State and the Hijacking of America."

2. This is the cover...

Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mike

Re: The most Seagal thing I've seen in years

Post by Mike »

Published in 2017... maybe we've already shared it cuz it looks vaguely familiar, but it was new to me this morning.

Also note how prescient Seagal was here. If only we had heeded his warnings, maybe America could have stayed great.

*sigh*
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I've never seen this. So much going on. Joe Arpaio! Wolf in the background! Fringe! Badly dyed facial hair!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kyle wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:57 pm I've never seen this. So much going on. Joe Arpaio! Wolf in the background! Fringe! Badly dyed facial hair!
Yes! It's fully saturated Seagal!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I didn't even notice the turquoise necklace! Or the Native American belt buckle! Or the gun peeking out from its shoulder holster!
Mike wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:00 pmYes! It's fully saturated Seagal!
We're witnessing Segal turned UP TO 11!
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm currently between books. I know I will regret this.

I tried Libby, but my local library doesn't have a copy of this. So I figured I'd try Audible and use one of my free credits. Still no luck. So, I finally bit the bullet and went over to Kindle. $2.99. So I bought it. I will try to get through it, and I will report as I go. I haven't opened it, but here's info from the publisher's listing on Amazon:
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
This is the story of an Arizona Tribal police officer who stumbles onto one of the of the biggest cases in the history of the Southwest. He is a member of an elite group within the Native American communities known as The Shadow Wolves. What comes with his discovery is the uncovering of massive corruption in places where he once had placed his total trust.

Shadow Wolves is a book of fiction based on reality. Both author’s have worked with, confronted, and seen the power of the Deep State and the manner in which many federal government agencies willfully violate the Constitution and the laws of the land in service to special interests.

The 2016 election has for the first time made many American citizens aware that the Deep State is very real; that the mainstream media is a fake news media offering a false narrative designed by the secret intelligence world in service to special interests.

The fight for America’s soul is taking place far from Washington, D.C. This is a story of one small group of patriots fighting the good fight.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Steven Seagal is an actor, producer, screen writer, director, martial artist, sheriff, musician and international businessman. Born in the USA, with Mohawk heritage he is passionate about restoring the Constitution as the foundation of our Republic, and a return to responsible stewardship of Mother Earth such as practiced by the Native Americans. Tom Morrissey is a retired Chief Deputy US Marshal, martial artist, veteran of the US Army, musician, author, political leader and activist. He was born in Brooklyn NY to a blue collar family, in a culturally diverse community. He loves to tell a good story about his dream of the return of this country's founding principles, with power back to the people.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Also... I fully anticipate that this will not be entertaining, even as trash reading to be mocked, but I feel compelled.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I like the typos even in the publisher’s blurb. You’re in for a treat!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh I'm going to feel deeply cheated if I don't get a play-by-play review of this much as Kyle gave us the review of the Oates book. Come on man we need details.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Phoebe wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:41 pm Oh I'm going to feel deeply cheated if I don't get a play-by-play review of this much as Kyle gave us the review of the Oates book. Come on man we need details.
Seconded. I'm not in a place to bear the pain of reading this myself but would love to hear about it.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

One of my favorite reviews, entitled Absolute Rubbish:

“ There are only two types of people who will enjoy this book: 1. People who think Steven Seagal movies are like real life and 2. People who enjoy laughing at Steven Seagal movies.

The plot is constantly driven on by 'hunches' that the hero has. The characters are wooden and undeveloped and the dialogue is laughably macho.”
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well, let's start with the Forward...

"I strongly identify with this book because in many ways I lived [it]." --Joe Arpaio

First, let's note that my autocorrect wants me to change Arpaio to armpit. I approve.

Joe tells us how accurate and prescient this book is, and he should know, because his many decades on the job has allowed him to understand the mindset of the cartels and illegal immigrants.

The two major takeaways of the forward are:

1. President Trump has made amazing progress in fighting the cartels during his first year in office in spite of how things are getting worse due to the influence of the Deep State.

2. Steven Seagal, "who is a law enforcement officer", is totally qualified to write this story.
Mike

Post by Mike »

PREFACE

Four pages of paragraphs that all start with "What if..."

To sum up: What if every major organization in the world were part of the most complex conspiracy ever all designed to spread evil and destroy our American way of life?

Seriously, these paragraphs are:
What if one of the largest churches in the world...
What if the major political parties in all countries...
What if the mainstream media...
What if the universities...
Etc.

That's the Deep State.

And there's shit in here that is just blatantly wrong... like the generalizations about all political parties everywhere. But there's also some things that could appeal to me if presented in a different context. So much of the world's ills are caused by people working to concentrate the world's wealth in the top 1%. I'm amenable to that idea. But not because of a vast Deep State conspiracy.

Anyway... I am prepared to embrace the Deep State as the major premise of this book the same way I embrace magic in Harry Potter. Just because something isn't real doesn't mean it can't make a good story.
zen

Post by zen »

Why are so many of the people whose work I enjoyed in my youth such complete and utter assholes?

I mean, I studied Aikido for several years and got through several testing levels. I took a few classes at the Genyokan, the headquarters dojo of the Aikido Yoshokai Association (known as a different name when I was studying there, but that was before the death of the founder of the style of Aikido and the original head of the dojo. The new head of the dojo is actually my age. My wife went to school with him. I took a few classes from him at Eastern Michigan University before I came to Illinois for graduate school. He was probably the best martial artist I've ever had the pleasure of actually spending a serious amount of time with. I think I only had one or two classes with his father.)

But anyway, back when I was studying Aikido, the Seagal movies were AWESOME to watch, because what he uses is pretty much Aikido, though it's something we used to refer to as "Old Style". (Though, in southeast Michigan, some of the moves he uses were referred to as "Flint Style" because they were still being taught that way in the Flint dojo. The first time I did one of those pins back at college after taking classes in Flint over the summer, my teacher, who started learning Aikido in Flint, stopped me immediately and gave me a quick lecture on the difference between propper technique and "Flint Style". The Flint dojo has a full tatami surface on top of a wooden layer that rests on a bed of recycled tires several tires deep. It is the most forgiving surface for hard falls I've ever experienced. It resulted in some... more aggressive techniques being used compared to other dojos for certain pins.)

Incidentally, the move that Sulu uses to take out the security officer when they are breaking Bones out of the brig in Star Trek III is also an Aikido move. You know... the scene where he says, "Don't call me tiny!"
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That is fascinating, particularly the part about the floor made of wood over the rubber!

But also the review - It's like being at the beginning of a very pleasant journey.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I want to say, though- if this stops being fun for you, Mike, then stop doing it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Here's the deal... As a writer, Steven Seagal's primary motto is: Why the hell would I waste 10 pages of time and effort painting you a picture, when I could just tell you in two sentences and save both of us all that flowery prose and mystery? Writing is about efficiency.

And I'd seen the complaints about run-on sentences, and while there are some of those, it seems that most of what he writes is, in a technical sense, grammatically correct, but it all feels, due to awkwardly jammed in clauses everywhere, to be run-on sentences, but they aren't actually running on so much as they are just monstrously long sentences where, in the aforementioned quest for efficiency, Seagal would rather tuck a six word clause into an existing sentence instead of the laborious effort involved in figuring out what punctuation ends a sentence when it's so much easier to just stick in random commas.

I'll get to content in a moment, such as it is.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Mike wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:57 pm And I'd seen the complaints about run-on sentences, and while there are some of those, it seems that most of what he writes is, in a technical sense, grammatically correct, but it all feels, due to awkwardly jammed in clauses everywhere, to be run-on sentences, but they aren't actually running on so much as they are just monstrously long sentences where, in the aforementioned quest for efficiency, Seagal would rather tuck a six word clause into an existing sentence instead of the laborious effort involved in figuring out what punctuation ends a sentence when it's so much easier to just stick in random commas.
This was beautiful, by the way.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thank you! I tried fucking up the punctuation more too, but it was really a bridge too far for me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

CHAPTER 1

This chapter is the narration over a documentary about Native Americans. Literally, it tells us in stage direction-atyle italics that that's what this is.

The narration lists highlights of the horrific treatment of Native Americans through western history and frames it as more of a tragedy because of how innately attuned natives are to the "true nature" of the world. I put that in quotes, because the narration did as well.

It also mentions that certain elite Native Americans are the greatest trackers the world has ever known. It uses the term Shadow Wolves with no further explanation. It does all of this without naming any particular peoples, but always just the generic term "Native Americans".

The stereotype of magical natives in tune with nature seems pervasive (and lazy and sloppy). Hopefully I'm wrong, but I doubt I will be.

Chapter end with John Gode (our hero) standing up and dramatically leaving the theater saying, "It's about time," cryptically.