Drivers License

Phoebe

Drivers License

Post by Phoebe »

Anyone here ever dealt with the difficulty of possibly having to gently encourage others to stop driving or at least go get a more thorough driving test? I mean that applies to every teenager and person from Iowa I know, but they're going the other direction with it and hopefully will improve someday. I'm talking about what happens when it's your older relatives.

If you think their driving is not what it once was obviously that's scary because you want them to be safe, and to be safe around others. But where I live driving is still the foundation of autonomy, even with ride sharing apps and delivery services. It's also psychologically the foundation of autonomy for many people who have enjoyed and been serious about driving for almost their entire life. In short, it's something a person doesn't want to mess with unless they absolutely have to. In my past experience it has been a very fraught issue for people, and the only person I know who gave it up without major trauma was my mom and even so, it was still a trauma for her because it changed her experience of life in a negative way, created all sorts of frustrations and disappointments, maybe things we don't even hear about or understand. So I'm curious how people have approached it and how it went, if this was something you ever had to do. I'm hoping I will never have to do it, but you never know.
Stan

Re: Drivers License

Post by Stan »

It's tough. As you mentioned, in the U.S., unless you live in a handful of cities with serious public transport, driving is necessary to go anywhere and to do most things. Maybe start by asking them about their eye glass prescription? If the problem is not visual, it's really rough - you are trying to convince someone that their mental faculties aren't up to snuff any more, which can amount to calling them stupid if not handled correctly.

My oldest has issues and is extremely reluctant to learn to drive. I try to be understanding but it can be a a serious hassle.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I think our two oldest kids should get together and be buddies because they seem very similar. The difference in this case is that mine is already unleashed on the world with the driver's license. I think talking about eyeglasses is an excellent suggestion for dealing with other issues. There is a need to discuss it anyway from time to time and so it's a great context that causes no issues.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Wait this isn't a Olivia Rodrigo appreciation thread? I thought this was a modern pop message board now :-)

Good luck!
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

My oldest insisted on professional lessons, which he got as a birthday gift.
His sisters got me and finally school based driver's ed.

My grandmother is the only person I know who sensibly gave up her two story house, then her car, then her apartment as she felt the challenges of living to her 90s
Mando

Post by Mando »

bralbovsky wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:01 pm My oldest insisted on professional lessons, which he got as a birthday gift.
His sisters got me and finally school based driver's ed.

My grandmother is the only person I know who sensibly gave up her two story house, then her car, then her apartment as she felt the challenges of living to her 90s
I already hate stairs. My deal with the family is that if I start to really lose it and forget them, just give me an xbox with skyrim and Fallout 4 and put me in a home for the elderly.
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I would consider group assisted living with those of you who would want to form a regular RPG group. Not now I mean - like give me 30 years or so at least? But at that point okay.