Gygax Jr. is a Gross Monster

Kyle

Gygax Jr. is a Gross Monster

Post by Kyle »

Go down the rabbit hole of the battle of the two TSRs and what a gross, anti-LGBTQ monster Gary Gygax, Jr. is. Start with this article:

https://gizmodo.com/tsr-games-distances ... 1847203067

Gygax, Jr. is part of the team behind a new game called Giantlands. When asked to state their support for the trans community, this happened:

There's a lot more to it and it's all fascinating and terrible. Unfortunately, the evil TSR is also putting out the rebooted Star Frontiers, which I suppose I'll have to take a hard pass on.
Stan

Re: Gygax Jr. is a Gross Monster

Post by Stan »

I followed this for a while in another forum and it's a shit show all around. EGG Jr. was previously involved in a Kickstarter that failed to deliver until others stepped in. Hasbro/WOTC had abandoned some 20th century trademarks, which is why there is now a TSR. The Gygax TSR gained the rights for the Star Frontiers trademark. But they don't have copyrights for any of the content - yea I know mechanics can't be easily copyrighted but species names, setting info, everything would be out of bounds.

A few years ago Evil Hat had acquired the Star Frontiers trademark. Hasbro stepped on their efforts to revive the game, also stomping on the bigger fan sites, then released old SF stuff on Drivethru. Given this TSR would have to make a vague copy of the original (which is unlikely to attract many old fans) or get driven out of business by Hasbro.

They have only the TSR and Star Frontier names, with no content and no old school talent. Given all of the above supporting any kickstarter from these people would be a really bad idea. Then EGG Jr. gave an interview and committed a blistering series of self goals, revealing racism, sexism, transphobia, business imcompetence, and all around extreme neckbeardedness. Luke Gygax went out of his way to state that neither he nor GaryCon has any association with TSR.

I can't think of another company that managed to publicly announce itself and become a pariah this quickly.

If have any interest in revived Star Frontiers, see if you can find the fan stuff put out ~5 years ago. It was the old content but cleaned up and tweaked.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

That’s basically a summary of the article I linked to. I highly recommend people look into it to recognize how much farther we have to go in the gaming world.
Stan

Post by Stan »

On the other hand, the speed at which most people voiced disagreement shows that the overwhelming majority are not like that. It seems like, overall, gamers are more progressive than the overall population.