Popular legislation

Mike

Popular legislation

Post by Mike »

There are a number of democrat-led policy ideas out there that enjoy huge popular support (all 65-85% approval including a majority of republican voters). These include:

*The recent stimulus bill
*The upcoming $3 trillion infrastructure bill
*Mandatory paid maternity leave
*Raising taxes on the wealthy
*"Common sense" gun control measures (universal background checks, license requirements to buy/own, federal "red flag" laws)
*Increasing federal support for child care

I'm sure there are more.

Again, these are all hugely popular, and have majority support from all sides, and yet Republican lawmakers almost universally reject and argue strenuously against all of these.

So my question is: are there similar conservative/republican issues that enjoy this level of support from all sides yet are rejected by democrat lawmakers?
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Re: Popular legislation

Post by Phoebe »

I would just add polling consistently supports about 75% in favor of giving legal status to DACA recipients, and more importantly, at least half of Republicans agree too. It should have been an easy fix long ago.
Last edited by Phoebe on Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

It's heartbreaking for trans kids that this is being legislated this way, but I do agree that there needs to be a solution. The best one I came up with is three teams, men, women, and all/coed. Trans kids who have too much or little testosterone may have to be relagated to the "all" team. There needs to be more coed sports in general, so I feel this is a two-birds one-stone solution, but I can also see the inherit inequality that some can join two teams but a few people can only join one. Bagh.

Or just let it all be coed, the idea of testing for testosterone for all players also is kinda icky.

I assume some GOP popular issues are just not polled. Like removing Christmas as a national holiday, which is celebrated by 92% of the country, even though a good minority celebrate it as a secular holiday.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Give it five years and these anti-trans laws won't have majority public support. Like gay marriage, I believe acceptance will come.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Agreed; people aren't familiar enough with it yet and too many public examples are adults like Caitlin Jenner etc, so people may extrapolate backwards to a sense of more powerful male athletes not being able to change that basic advantage over females.
Last edited by Phoebe on Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Ike: “If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.”

They claim their anti-abortion stance is popular, but nobody is pro-abortion. It's a false choice.
They claim their 2nd Amendment stuff is popular, but nobody feels banning guns is practical (even if it's desirable)
They claim their stance against porous borders is popular, but nobody wants porous borders.
Even their Blue Lives Matter thing is becoming clearly a fabrication.

Ahh, people have remained convinced that manufacturing, mining etc is sustainable, but that's fading since, it too, is a lie.

Somewhere between murders they endorsed in the 60s, through "New American Century," they lost all pretense of being a legitimate party with actual principles (even if the principles were heinous.)
They're stuck creating some fantasy hobgoblin world, and have lost all touch with reality.
They would jump at the opportunity to establish apartheid.
They would embrace the Russian kleptocracy model.
They would accelerate the pace at which FALLOUT (or The Road, whatever your preference) becomes real life (except the 'lone survivor would be in a red jumpsuit, not a blue one.)

and it would all be on purpose, with full knowledge of the consequences.
Hence my desire for a Full Romanov.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

bralbovsky wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:25 am They claim their anti-abortion stance is popular, but nobody is pro-abortion. It's a false choice.
Not sure if it was true under Obama, but under Clinton the number of abortions was lower than under Reagan because of government support for more birth control.
They claim their 2nd Amendment stuff is popular, but nobody feels banning guns is practical (even if it's desirable)
They claim their stance against porous borders is popular, but nobody wants porous borders.
Even their Blue Lives Matter thing is becoming clearly a fabrication.
This is why they have to lie and lie and lie; they have to conceal reality to win widespread support.
Reel on a repeating loop
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Problems that are entirely fabricated can never be solved because they are illusions. They're handy if all you want to create is fear and chaos.

You can't awaken someone who is pretending to sleep.

I never wanted to be that judgmental person, but I am beginning to see how much of a choice rather than accident it is. I want the anti-vaxxers and big lie purveyors to get sick and die, so the rest of us can move on without them.
As it is, I know this will not happen. Five years ago, I said...this grifter clown will never be elected, and my poc friends just shook their heads. I was too privileged to see the same country they saw. Having now had a glimpse, I want bleach in syringes to be a thing. I want the koolaid clearly labeled but very available. We will be very fortunate if their meltdown can be localized.
It'll be expensive, and in some cases surprising and tragic, but Syria was a semi-functioning country a decade ago..... It doesn't take long. No guarantees.