Vaccination

Tahlvin

Re: Vaccination

Post by Tahlvin »

Youngest son got his first jab yesterday and seems to be doing fine. My wife had to drive him about an hour and a half to Milwaukee to get it, since that was the closest place we could find that was offering the Pfizer shot for under 18 year olds. And my wife was able to schedule her first shot for sometime next week and only has to drive about an hour to get it. Meanwhile, I get my one and only shot today, and oldest son gets his first shot on Friday.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I've been J&J'd! Biggest side effect so far is a sore ass from sitting in the car so long at the drive thru vaccine site. The injection site is a little tender, but so far no worse than any other shot I've ever received. Still waiting for my mutant powers to get triggered.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

My wife and daughter had to cancel their appointments yesterday for an emergency room visit. Fortunately it was nothing serious and it seems like vaccinations are becoming more plentiful.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

So adventures in immunology....
In a few days theoretically immune. Shots (Pfizer) one and two virtually unnoticeable.
Spouse experienced several bad hours, then several modestly bad days but bounced pretty well.
Doctor daughter (who caught it in the fall) of course vaccinated.
Youngest just received J&J today.
That leaves just my son's small family to take care of.
He's the most hyper vigilant among us and Maryland was just shamed into opening registrations.
He also has a two year old...but if everyone else is set, then theoretically the bug can't get a foothold in the first place.

A friend contracted it days before her vaccine and is suffering still... going on two weeks. No hospital, just miserable.

One potential wrinkle: sometimes the cancer immunotherapy shuts down the response to the vaccine, so there's a final step of an antibody test next month. We'll see.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

bralbovsky wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:17 am One potential wrinkle: sometimes the cancer immunotherapy shuts down the response to the vaccine, so there's a final step of an antibody test next month. We'll see.
Wait, cancer? Were you being treated for cancer?

No real side effects today. Injection site is maybe a bit tender, but not really noticeably so.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Non Hodgkin Lymphoma....I'll die with it, not from it.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Glad to hear the prognosis is good! Good luck with treatment!
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

bralbovsky wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:17 am He's the most hyper vigilant among us and Maryland was just shamed into opening registrations.
Okay, hey listen -- as for Maryland -- most definitely look into mass vax center -- got mine at M&T stadium. If struggling to find slots, one may have the most luck in mass vax center Salisbury, which is probably quite a way from the Balto-Washington corridor. Though, there will be around 12 mass vax centers.

Governor Hogan is kinda terrible at this, to be honest (he pretty much screwed over two counties nearest to DC, and screwed over Baltimore proper on vax distribution.)
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

FlameBlade wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:36 am
bralbovsky wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:17 am He's the most hyper vigilant among us and Maryland was just shamed into opening registrations.
Okay, hey listen -- as for Maryland -- most definitely look into mass vax center -- got mine at M&T stadium. If struggling to find slots, one may have the most luck in mass vax center Salisbury, which is probably quite a way from the Balto-Washington corridor. Though, there will be around 12 mass vax centers.

Governor Hogan is kinda terrible at this, to be honest (he pretty much screwed over two counties nearest to DC, and screwed over Baltimore proper on vax distribution.)
Ya, he's in Prince George's County. My daughter-in-law had her first shot, so progress is being made.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

[/quote]
Ya, he's in Prince George's County. My daughter-in-law had her first shot, so progress is being made.
[/quote]

I work in PG public schools, and I got mine through work, but by sheer chance--at the beginning the county put a number of slots up online at a certain time, and they filled within a few minutes. I got lucky and got one.
Reel on a repeating loop
FlameBlade

Post by FlameBlade »

Yep, know about that. MoCo snapped up those slots because of the link that wasn't supposed to be shared.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My oldest kid is going to get a vaccination and I'm so happy. I'm terrified she has covered all the time because they have to go back to school, and keeping her out of school would require a very difficult effort and cause many terrible side effects but I am not comfortable with, you know, the general risks of death and suffering required to be in school right now with the number of cases that are reported on a daily basis there, and the new strain that is causing them. But this is our life among d*******. I really don't know what else to do given the array of bad options.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yesterday was the first day since I got my vaccination that the injection site didn't hurt. That, and decreased stamina during my morning run, seem to have been the side effects that I had, which now seem to be gone.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Well, I got my wife kids and mom to get vaxxed!
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Congrats! Second appointments are scheduled for my wife and two sons. Now we just need to get my daughter to get both shots.
zen

Post by zen »

And now it seems that the J&J one-shot has been recalled, after Tahlvin and I both got it... But the reason for the recall was blood clots occurring in a very small percentage of women between the ages of 18 and 45... while my taste in manga might be more similar to that group than it is most other demographic categories (though I probably fit the seinen category just fine as well as josei), I don't think that puts me at risk for that side effect, not being in either the gender or age-range involved... of course, I already suffer from several conditions that are more common in women than men, so...
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

My dad has a genetic condition that makes him prone to clotting, which has already hospitalized him once. There's a 25% chance that I have it as well, although I have never had any clotting issues. But with it being less than 1 in a million people affected by the J&J issue, I'm not worried about it.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

On the clotting- apparently the side effects occur within two weeks of the shot- so I'd guess y'all are fine if you're outside that.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Got my second shot yesterday. The only side effects were some congestion (which may just be allergies which have been acting up) and the soreness in my shoulder is much worse- which kept me up all night when I rolled over on to it. So other than that, no biggie.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Good news! You're so close to being able to wander fearlessly through the Targét! I took advantage of my vaccination status to do many errands among the others today. Every time I attempt to go out of the house where other people might be, I encounter someone who knows me. I am always shocked and dismayed by this because I have a mask on, and one of the luxuries of wearing a mask everywhere is that you should be able to go incognito. Obviously I need a bigger mask.
Mike

Post by Mike »

My youngest is the last of us who needs a vaccination. He desperately wants the shot, but he is so phobic of needles that he doesn't think he can do it. He has tried to psych himself up for it and keeps wavering. At one point he said, "Okay, sign me up, but I'm going to need Dad with me to restrain me so I don't run away." But then he backed off again. I think he'll wind up going in in a week, and I probably will go in and restrain him. But it's tough.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

My two youngest get their first Pfizer today. Once they get their second shot- everyone in my family (including kids that don't live with me) will be fully vaccinated.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

The last remaining in our family is getting her 2nd shot on Tuesday.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Almost done here but of course we've got one kid who's too young to get the current array. We really shouldn't be vaccinating our kids because we should be vaccinating people around the world, but whatever, I'm not making the decisions at that pay grade so I just got my kids vaccinated. But it was a bad decision.
Stan

Post by Stan »

2nd shot for the youngest today. They turned 16 a bit over a month ago so this is about as soon as we could. Now all of us are fully vaccinated. But I've gotten used to wearing a mask in public so am in no hurry to stop wearing it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

My youngest is waiting on his second shot,and then we're all done. After all the buildup, he prepped himself for the first shot,and for the first time in his life, he faced a needle without a panic attack. It still wasn't fun for him, but it's an awesome step for him.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Everyone in my nuclear family has been inoculated. Only my 2 yr old granddaughter awaits the next steps. Zero bad reactions.
My siblings (except for the sister with 11 children who is basically in a mini cult) is also safe, Mom too.

We are getting to the point that all the easy targets have been secured, and (except in states that are behind) the intractable refuseniks are not worth the expense.
I suggest rules form the CDC on local outbreaks and serious local ring vaccination/quarantine as soon as the caseload drops to local hotspots and most of the country is clear. Has this ever been a thing?
Mando

Post by Mando »

My daughter picked up a carved wood burned button ant the Renn Faire Saturday that says " Plague Free"
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Pdyx

Post by Pdyx »

Just waiting on the vaccine for the little one to feel like we can fully go back to new normal. It's great to see family and vaccinated folks and feel safe but who knows about public gatherings / camps / other kids until that happens. Thankfully the news seems to keep suggesting it's not THAT much longer (Sept/Oct).
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Stan wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm But I've gotten used to wearing a mask in public so am in no hurry to stop wearing it.
This is one of the improvements on the normal state that I would prefer to retain going forward. Why are we not all wearing masks all the time when we have to be around others?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:14 am My youngest is waiting on his second shot,and then we're all done. After all the buildup, he prepped himself for the first shot,and for the first time in his life, he faced a needle without a panic attack. It still wasn't fun for him, but it's an awesome step for him.
I am proud of him - it is very difficult for those with the needle phobia! Especially because you're in strange news surroundings and lots of people are there or waiting in line - that type of thing.