Ceasefire Rejected

Phoebe

Ceasefire Rejected

Post by Phoebe »

My understanding if I'm getting this right Is that Israel could have accepted a deal almost identical to one that Israel itself proposed in past ceasefire negotiations. And it could have won the release of many of the remaining hostages in this process (I'm assuming they can't promise everybody because some are dead). But instead of choosing to save the lives of the hostages, it has chosen to seize the Rafah crossing where most of the humanitarian aid is coming through. I assume the US knew this was going to happen which is why they started constructing their dock, although it's not clear how much good that will do.

From this point on it seems fair to say that Israel does not care about its hostages and has chosen to let them die, and is responsible for whatever the food situation is in Gaza. Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Israel to protest this b*******, perhaps because they would like to have their hostages back and they don't really want to be complicit in deliberately starving a bunch of innocent people. Apparently we finally reached a point where the US says enough, we oppose this, but it won't mean anything unless they actually act to oppose it.
Mike

Re: Ceasefire Rejected

Post by Mike »

According to the Israeli person who acted as the representative of the hostages in negotiations, Hamas offered a deal to release ALL civilian hostages as early as October 9 or 10 in exchange for the IDF not entering Gaza, which lines up with reporting of Palestinian journalists at the time.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

JFC I am hopping mad about it.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Hoping the current cease fire proposal is accepted - no idea about the details or whether they are good details, but this seems like the closest possibility so far?
Mike

Post by Mike »

I would love to be wrong, but I don't believe there will be a ceasefire. Either they will not come to terms, OR they'll agree to a ceasefire and Israel will continue their attacks anyway. This has been their pattern in the past. And now that it has become so hard to get news out of Gaza, Israel could conceivably break a ceasefire while plausibly denying it for quite a while.

So Israel has a ceasefire proposal, and the U.S. state department is leaning hard on Palestine to accept it. The U.N. has voted (if I understand correctly) to express their approval. Hamas, meanwhile, has said they will accept it with some amendments. Specifically, they want some sort of oversight to “confirm the cease-fire, withdrawal, reconstruction and (prisoner) exchange." Basically, they want some verification so the world can see if Israel is as good as its word. Israel is acting like this is an outrageous demand, and U.S. Secretary of State Blinken says oversight really isn't necessary.

But Israel has no real incentive to change now (other than world opinion) because even with as bad as it's gotten, Israel continues to bomb and kill and continues to commit war crimes and continues to deny and restrict food, aid, and basic necessities to a population that is starving and sick, and in response, the U.S. still protects them from any consequences at the U.N., still provides money and weapons to Israel, and still refuses to follow through with any of the Biden administration's implied or direct threats.

The longer Israel can stall, the closer they are to being done.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.