Unauthorized vehicles

Phoebe

Unauthorized vehicles

Post by Phoebe »

There is a new fashion here in suburbia:
Riding around on little vehicles in your neighborhood. Actually it's been going on for years but it's becoming so common and regularly noticeable now.
The vehicles are often a golf cart, or a little four-wheeler, or sometimes an unknown variety of little vehicle kids ride on. They drive these things in the street. It's not so bad where I live because everybody is too busy walking their dog, but where my parents live (and the other grandparents, relatives, etc we visit) It has become the norm. Every time you go in the neighborhood you have to look out for and dodge these little vehicles. Kids will be driving around like maniacs and they're often smaller and hard to see. Back in the day we used to drive go-karts around but we were well aware it was totally f****** illegal and that we couldn't get caught! This is different - people have them all parked in the driveways and the kids are just running around from here to there with the little golf carts or four wheelers with multiple passengers hanging off, The way they used to ride bikes to one another's houses. Now they ride scooters or these little vehicles.

I am curious if this is a local thing or if this happens where you are.
Tahlvin

Re: Unauthorized vehicles

Post by Tahlvin »

Does not happen around here that I've seen.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I live on a lake in a tourist town, so this is common here. And really annoying because its often the rich, entitled, elderly people who do it in golf carts, and they drive 5 mph in the road taking up the whole lane, even though its illegal to drive them in the road. It's just selfish and indicative of the "Hurray me! Fuck you!" attitude that is becoming more prevalent in people.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Now that my phone knows I'm intrigued by this matter, it sent me a story about a nearby county in which this has become an issue involving the police and public service announcements and general mayhem. People are posting pictures of eight kids hanging off a golf cart careening around the area, etc. Somehow it became a fad.