[Movie] Becky -- Spoilers start in the second post

Mike

[Movie] Becky -- Spoilers start in the second post

Post by Mike »

From Kyle back in June 2020...
Kyle wrote:Becky- What did I just see? For real. It's a home invasion movie with Kevin James as a terrifying white supremacist that escapes from prison. He terrorizes Becky and her family- which consists of Becky's Dad (played by Joel McHale), Dad's fiance and her son. You see, Becky's 13 and her mom died a year before and even though Dad is "ready to move on," she's still angry with the world. And when a group of neo-nazi escapees invade their vacation home, she unleashes her fury on them. Y'all. Y'ALL! Does she ever! I really thought this movie was going to be a bust with Kevin James in it- but he is legitimately terrifying. But the draw is Lulu Wilson, playing Becky, who was actually 13 when she filmed this and is a fucking force of nature. Her story arc is so great and the interplay between her and James is so tense and scary. The one drawback here is Joel McHale. Look- when he's playing the sarcastic guy (basically himself, or imitating Will Arnett, I suppose) it's just not good. I'm concluding he's just not a good actor because you see him suppressing his true personality. But who cares. This movie was amazing despite him. Warning- it's gory. So if that's not your bag- watch it anyways!
I typed up my own review for Becky, but then realized it matches Kyle's verbatim. So I just posted his.

Spoiler talk to follow.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Re: [Movie] Becky -- Spoilers start in the second post

Post by Kyle »

“ or imitating Will Arnett, I suppose”

Damn. That’s a great line. I forgot I said that.

Also- 8 months later and I still remember everything about this movie and how freaking great it is. This needs more attention and to become a cult classic.

This directing pair is also the duo that directed Cooties, the horror movie where Elijah Wood plays a teacher that has to kill zombie elementary students. A good movie, but pales in comparison to this.
Mike

Re: [Movie] Becky -- Spoilers start in the second post

Post by Mike »

My wife loves this as much as I did, and she was caught up in wanting to know what the symbol on the key was. I dismissed it as, "I don't know... looks like a old rune. Probably something white supremacists have adopted." And in the end, I was right as far as it went, but that wasn't good enough for Lisa, and she had to chase it down. I'm so glad she did! She found a site that laid it all out. The movie is Ragnarok... at least as far as Becky's world is concerned.

The rune is Old Norse, and like all old Norse stuff has been co-opted by some white supremacists. But it's also connected with Odin in some way. And who goes all one-eyed in the middle of the movie? Kevin James! Why the hell would they pick Joel McHale for this? Because he's Loki. Loki's wife (Becky's mom) was the grief-bringer. Apex would seem to be Thor. And Becky is all three of Loki's children. She is Fenrir in all his fury when she wears the hat. She is Jormungandr when she's eating the gummi worms (which she hates). She is Hel when in her art (music, drawing, painting).

Thor kills raging Fenrir, but then she is Jormungandr, and it is the serpent who is cool and detached and dispatches Thor.

Damn. Now I want to watch it again with all of this in mind. I don't know if the details I saw or my understanding of it is 100%, but it's definitely cool.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.