Hey old person! You forgot you were old!

Kyle

Hey old person! You forgot you were old!

Post by Kyle »

My kid took a job doing appliance repair (with the hopes of starting his own business once he learns the trade). Today he fixed Chuck Woolery's oven. He texted me:

My kid didn't really know who he was, but he's only 21. So that's not a surprise. Then I was kind of excited about it and started telling people in my office. Here's how it went for everyone under 40:

Me: Hey, my kid fixed Chuck Woolery's oven today.

Them: Who's Chuck Woolery?

Me: Love Connection?!? Chuck Woolery?!?! Back in 2 and 2! *flashes the peace sign and then reverses it* CHUCK WOOLERY!

Them: What's Love Connection?
poorpete

Re: Hey old person! You forgot you were old!

Post by poorpete »

Kids, he's the guy referenced thirty seconds into "Hey Ladies"

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Damn right he is!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Who?
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I'm right on the edge I think. I know the name, know he did game shows (I would've guessed Let's Make a Deal), don't think I'd recognize him
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

TV's Scrabble!
Mike

Post by Mike »

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Pretty sure that's Huey Lewis
Mike

Post by Mike »

No. I've seen Huey Lewis is concert. He's definitely white.
zen

Post by zen »

He was the original host of Wheel of Fortune, before they discovered that Pat Sajak does it better. Then he did Love Connection, Scrabble, and the Dating Game. He also had a talk show for 65 episodes... I think that counts a failure in that business.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'd like to know why Huey Lewis is still on my radio at regular intervals. Far more frequently than far better artists from the past from whom I'd like to hear. It bothers me almost enough to impact life happiness, but not quite. Still he needs to be taken off the radio because that's just awful and tiresome.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I go in Huey phases. I was all-in on Sports when I was six to twelve years old, then dismissed through my I'm-too-cool teen and young adulthood. Now, I like his pop rock again.

Probably annoys the psedo-rockists and art-rockists and metal-rockists who hate the pop production coupled with songs about how good Rock is -- the biggest sin of "We Build This City" is it's claim that it's rock and roll -- but this still has a fun Giorgio-ish synth line and otherwise a blue-eyed soul song the E Street Band would have loved to have, plus some sax and harmonica solos.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

zen wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:26 am He was the original host of Wheel of Fortune, before they discovered that Pat Sajak does it better. Then he did Love Connection, Scrabble, and the Dating Game. He also had a talk show for 65 episodes... I think that counts a failure in that business.
Disagree. I've talked to many, many people about this episode in my life and everyone over 40 knows who Chuck Woolery is. And he lives a wealthy life in a large house as a result of his work. I can't imagine that's a failure.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Kyle wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:55 pm
zen wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:26 am He was the original host of Wheel of Fortune, before they discovered that Pat Sajak does it better. Then he did Love Connection, Scrabble, and the Dating Game. He also had a talk show for 65 episodes... I think that counts a failure in that business.
Disagree. I've talked to many, many people about this episode in my life and everyone over 40 knows who Chuck Woolery is. And he lives a wealthy life in a large house as a result of his work. I can't imagine that's a failure.
I thought he just meant in the talk show biz.
Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I'm a sucker for "do you know this is SO OLD that it's now OLDER than that was when this came out!"

Like, Back to the Future being closer to the 50s than today.

There is a patriotic song from the early 40s called "Ballad of Americans" performed by GOAT bass-baritone and communist Paul Robeson (that's right, a communist can love America!).

Anyways, it glorifies Abraham Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address, as it should, but realized that the song, and...

World War II is now closer to the Civil War than it is to us.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That is wild! I love this type of thing though.
zen

Post by zen »

Kyle wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:55 pm
I was specifically talking about the talk show...