In TV on movies

Mike

In TV on movies

Post by Mike »

Huh. I just noticed today that if you are an actor, you would normally be described as being "on" a TV show, but "in" a movie. It would understandable but very awkward to say that Mark Ruffalo was on The Avengers. No, you say he was IN The Avengers. On the other hand, while you normally describe actors as being ON a show, saying IN instead is also just fine.

Not profound or nothing, but an interesting usage quirk.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
DMDarcs

Re: In TV on movies

Post by DMDarcs »

It's easier to be on TV because the screen is smaller.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Hmm! And it's ON a radio show too.
But IN a play and IN a musical.

Seems IN is associated with going in a theater. ON is associated with appearing on a home appliance.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes. The media itself is said to be ON the stage/screen/etc, but the actors are IN the piece. And that is how it remains in Britain according to their guide for proper usage (said someone on the internet), but somehow in America, we've broadened the idea of show being ON television to people being ON television and then to people being ON television shows.

There's tons of chatter about this if one searches for it. I was hardly original when I thought of it.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
WillyGilligan

Post by WillyGilligan »

Is it anything to do with a movie being a one-off kind of thing, while TV and radio usually imply that it's ongoing? I'm pretty sure I've heard people refer to someone being on a show, but being in an episode of a show.

The appliance/theater dichotomy sounds plausible, but you can be in a play on Broadway. She's got a job on the stage - she's in a production of Dies and Ghouls. She's in the chorus line for the song "Lich be a lady tonight".