Banned Books

Mike

Banned Books

Post by Mike »

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/di ... 2/2250768/

That's a link to a 1933 case regarding whether or not to ban the book Ulysses presumably on the grounds of obscenity.

My son Jacob sent me and Kyle the link, since he knows Uncle Kyle is doing a banned books project.
Jacob wrote:In the case against "Ulysses" (a notoriously hard read) instead of relying on a jury to all get through it and pass judgement, a judge took it upon himself to read it in its entirety and provide a proper analysis.

Couple lines that stood out to me were:

"But my considered opinion, after long reflection, is that, whilst in many places the effect of "Ulysses" on the reader undoubtedly is somewhat emetic, nowhere does it tend to be an aphrodisiac"

And

"In respect of the recurrent emergence of the theme of sex in the minds of his characters, it must always be remembered that his locale was Celtic and his season spring."
Either 1933 jurors were much more sophisticated than today's, or else this judge way overshot his target audience. Jacob calls it "the world's most well-written book report with significant juridical implications."
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Re: Banned Books

Post by Phoebe »

Ha that is a review! It always amazes me, the book banning impulse, yet one of the good things about the current wave of public bannings is that they're always going on like this, always, whether they bubble up in the wider media or not, and the most recent ones very clearly put the lie to this boneheaded notion that "liberals" are "canceling" the staunch defenders of free speech. Said defenders have been trying to cancel me and a bunch of the s*** I read for as long as I've been alive and as far back as you can go, so I have little sympathy for the notion that they are the victims in this area.