VR headsets

Phoebe

VR headsets

Post by Phoebe »

The only time I have experienced a VR headset was at a medical center, where they use them to visualize medical procedures and anatomy and such.
I had completely dismissed from mind the idea that a VR headset is probably useful for other things and that people might be buying them, because it sounded like the kind of expensive toy my husband would come home with three of if I discussed it at all, and usually if one waits around, the technology becomes more useful and fiscally manageable - like smartphones or robot vacuums.

Well, that brings us to the present:
Maybe people are starting to get these VR headsets now and do different things with them. So what are they getting and what are they doing? Does anyone know about this? This is normally the type of thing I would ask the husband but see above: I'm not trying to ask for it as a present until I know what the heck is going on.
Mike

Re: VR headsets

Post by Mike »

VR is an incredible experience. It is still a bit too pricey for me for the amount that I would use it, but someday.

The main thing that people I know do with them right now is playing video games and watching movies. The games are completely unreal and an amazing experience. I play every chance I get. Which is not often. The movie going experience is a little bit different. Essentially, you're using the VR headset to place yourself inside a large theater. So you can watch whatever you want, and it is like you are seeing it on a giant screen.

I have had a VR headset before. It was one that came with my phone when I bought it. I no longer have it. Having just the headset is also still pretty cool but you don't use it that often. Or at least I didn't. Now, my two oldest sons both have VR rigs in their home. And by this I mean that they have the stands with motion sensors. They have hand controllers that are complicated enough that they not only measure the position of your hand but also the position of each individual finger, so they can do fine manipulation in VR space. Watching my son play God ball with us in VR is weird. Jacob has even gone so far as to get extra sensors for his legs so that when he walks and moves around he gets the full body simulation in VR which apparently is a incredibly impressive to the other people in VR. So yes, if you allowed this into your home, your husband could easily spend $1,000 or more just to get what he considers the "basic" rig. And he probably would too. However according to my sons you can actually get started with a cheaper VR setup at home for around $400. At least I think that's what they said. It's been a while since we discussed it.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Got one as a gift for Christmas, an Oculus Quest 2 -- there's a lot to like -- immersive experiences, definitely great for games and movies (Prime has you in a small movie theater, Netflix in a fancy cabin in the mountains -- visually equal to a large TV set)

There's a not to not like, the heavy piece of machinery constantly pressing against my face that hurts after 30 minutes, the blurs at the edges, how dusty things can get so quicky (i'm new at cleaning lenses), potentially hitting into kids, pets, and furniture (we're not rich enough to have like our own room for it, which would probably be the ideal), and of course, the dizziness and nausea, because bodies don't like it when your eye and ear equilibrium is out of sorts. Also, the cheaper version has a limited ammount of programs and games. There is much more if you have a powerful PC that you can connect the set to. I don't have a powerful PC so I'm losing out on a bunch of stuff that looks cool, in particular there's a Google Earth VR program that's only available on PC, and I can't get it and am seriously bummed.

Also you can share what you see on your screen to others via casting which can be nice sometimes, but doesn't work for movies, and just in general it's an experience for one. I am most comfortable using it when everyone else is asleep or away. So when I am solitary, it's good solitary.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Got one last Christmas (2019), have maybe used it once a month. For me, it's very draining. When I fall over, I stop. Notice: "When."
The simulated images are meant to trigger imbalance and vertigo.
I haven't watched movies yet. I can't really tolerate it that long.
It is immersive. Glorious, ...potentially addictive.
I conceive of putting on weighted gloves and using it as a mode of exercise, because the mobility requirements are occasionally extreme and usually nonstop.
Definitely find a way to try the headset on, so you know if it's too heavy or wobbly, such things pop you out of the intended immersion instantly.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I used it today on a flying game. Enjoyed it for 20 minutes, it is a cool experience, and then had to lay down for an hour. Better for me are games like Beat Saber where the action comes to me, instead of me traveling to the action.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

We bought a Steam VR system for our son a while back, including the sensors on the stands and the hand controllers. I actually prefer that to the Oculus, just because Facebook/Meta owns Oculus and requires that you link it to your Facebook account (at least the one I was looking at required that), and I don't want them getting anywhere near that stuff in our lives. It is awesome and immersive. I have a VR version of Myst, and it is incredible, the sights and sounds. I've also used it for VR mode in some of my flight simulators, which makes it a lot more realistic when you can turn your head and see where you're at in relation to the runway. As mentioned, though, playing it for an extended period of time can cause nausea and headaches, and the weight of the headset after awhile is tough on your head and neck. So I don't play it as often as I would like. My son uses it quite often, however. I suppose if you get used to it at a younger age, the nausea isn't as much of a problem.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I thought maybe someone would have experience with these but did not expect so many to have them or have used them a lot! Wow! I have been behind the curve on the whole thing. I am interested in the potential of these devices for a variety of non-game visualizations or for storytelling. I am surprised we have not yet seen a literature grow up around it - some of the video games that really engross people these days are as much about playing through a good story as they are about the playing itself, it seems! I wonder what literature and storytelling looks like in this environment. Anyway, need to investigate further. Please keep us apprised if new and interesting developments occur in how you can use these things. I don't do "motion rides" now - at some point in the development from young (whee! all the roller coasters! no problem!) to older person (help me, I cannot walk for the rest of the night after riding these gd teacups), the inner ear left and stayed gone and I am also terrified, generally. So as much as I'd love to try flying like a bird through some virtual space, or practicing swordfighting with someone who can't draw blood on me, I will probably just nap with that time.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I did pick up one short, non-game-related VR app. It was a WWI "simulation" that Dan Carlin helped create, and was a small, home-version of a larger traveling VR exhibit that he worked on with a group. It immerses you for just a little bit into some of the experiences of WWI soldiers, such as being in a trench. It was a little buggy at the time, but when it worked, it really showed a lot of potential for what storytelling could be like in a VR environment.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Oh yeah, I saw a couple of extremely well done short animated films in VR. So interesting to see how the director guides your attention to make sure you are looking in the right direction at crucial moments.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.