"Must See" Directors

Kyle

"Must See" Directors

Post by Kyle »

What directors do you like so much that you've seen all their work and you'll see everything they do in the future?

For me:
Quentin Tarantino
Christopher Nolan
Denis Villeneuve (although I haven't seen Incendies, it's in my queue to rent)
Chan Wook Park (there's only a couple of movies I've not seen because they're not available to stream)
Guiellermo del Toro (I was wondering if I wanted to watch his backlog to add him to this list and realized I've seen everything he's directed)

I might fill out the Darren Aronofsky movies I haven't seen so I can add him to this list.
Mike

Re: "Must See" Directors

Post by Mike »

Quentin Tarantino

And I have directors I love and feel strongly about, but rarely am I committed to catching everything they've ever done. Hell, I've only seen all of Tarantino's stuff, because I got turned on to him back when he only had two films.

Jeremy Saulnier (I haven't seen Hold the Dark yet, but I added it to my list over the holidays)

Christopher Nolan - I'm missing Tenet and Dunkirk and Following.

Taika Waititi - I haven't seen his two films before Hunt for the Wilderpeople. I need to correct that.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

There's quite a few that I've seen most of
Hitchcock I've seen about 35 of, though I only remember clearly about 30 of em. It's tough with the prolific ones...
I got through a lot of Anges Varda last year, but certainly not all.
WillyGilligan

Post by WillyGilligan »

Joining in on Tarantino, also because I got in when it was just Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. Outside of that, though, I don't think I have the attention span to have seen all of a given director's work. I have directors I get more excited about, but there's usually at least a movie or two I haven't gotten to.

Just saw Jojo Rabbit, so Taika Waititi is up there as well. But that one in particular felt like a darker shade of Wes Anderson. Which I was totally down for. I love Wes Anderson, but usually in short bursts.
Stan

Post by Stan »

WillyGilligan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 am I love Wes Anderson, but usually in short bursts.
Whereas I prefer Wes Anderson in burst shorts.

I'm not systematic enough to have watched everything form most directors but there are a few that do make me much more likely to watch: Waititit, del Toro, Tsui Hark, Wes Anderson, Coen brothers, plus some others I'm blanking on.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I wouldn't be surprised if all of us have seen all of George Lucas' films: THX 1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars, and the three prequels.

I've seen all but two Edgar Wright films: The World's End and his debut: A Fistful of Fingers

Seen 23 Spielberg films. Not quite all.

Seen all of Pete Doctor's films: Soul / Inside Out/ Up / Monster's Inc -- In fact I've seen all Pixar full-length films, and I don't think I can say that about any other studio.

I've seen every Hayao Miyazaki full-length film, though I have not made it through all of Studio Ghibli yet.

Last year I watched every Celine Sciamma film: Water Lillies, Tomboy, Girlhood, and Portrait of a Lady on Fire.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Ooooo. I love Edgar Wright. i might have to go back and watch Fistful of Fingers just to complete the set.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Pedro Almodovar
Stanley Kubrick
Martin Scorsese
Kathryn Bigelow (did you know by the way, not only did she direct Point Break, which occasionally came up when she won her Oscar, but she directed K19: The Widowmaker, which is bizarrely a favorite movie of ours and I have seen it about a dozen times?)

I don't necessarily love every movie these people have made nor have I seen every one of them, but I am trying to watch them all and I find that all of them are at least interesting even if I don't like them.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Oh yea, Miyazaki - think I've seen all of his. Edgar Wright is another good call.

I liked the early Almodovar that I've seen but I need to catch up on his more recent stuff.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I got through a lot of Bigelow but there's a few missing I need to get to. Point Break is great. My friend and his now-wife's first date was to watching K-19. It holds a special place in their hearts, even though they felt it wasn't the best choice in retrospect.