Mythology

Mike

Mythology

Post by Mike »

Dave and I are thinking of making Godball less white and eurocentric by introducing gods from other mythologies in our hase set, instead of passing them off to some future imagined expansion set if we were ever so lucky.

This week, I got to play using a totally badass Sedna deck that Dave made, and it was amazing.

I've been slowing gathering gods and myths as I see them, but I can't keep waiting for people to post in the Deathless thread before I put them up, so I'm putting them here.

If anyone else has interesting gods or mythological heroes or beasts or other stuff, please throw them in. Just looking for anything interesting.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mike

Re: Mythology

Post by Mike »

The alicanto is a luminous bird from Chilean myth.

Alicantos are large, golden birds with metallic feathers. Some say that the precious metals they eat make up the sheen of their plumage. Their eyes glow the same colour as their feathers, and they are bright enough that it is said that they do not cast a shadow. Occasionally they will have silver feathers.

Its diet is made up of gold and silver, so it is often seen in caves and mine shafts searching for food. It is said that seeing it brings good luck. Occasionally greedy miners will follow it at night in hopes of finding its food source, but if the alicanto notices that it is being followed, it will either dim its light or lead the miner off a cliff instead. Those that eat gold shine like the sun, while those that eat silver shine like the moon.

Alicanto cannot fly, for the metals they eat weigh them down too much. Instead, they run with their wings spread. A hungry Alicanto can run quickly, but one that has gorged itself can barely move at all.

In some accounts, they live in caves and they lay two eggs at a time. The shells are silver or gold depending on what the bird eats.

They say a lucky miner successfully tracked an alicanto and started the 1832 Chilean silver rush.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Siberian deities have caught my interest, but there is so little available. I can find two dozen websites for any given god that just copy/pastes the same tantalizingly vague information found on Wikipedia.

Dunne Enin - a warrior goddess that ruled over/defended clan territory.

Anapel - Known as "Little Grandmother," this goddess of the Koryak people of Siberia is Matron of Reincarnation. She presides over birth and reincarnation. It is said that when a child is born, the father ties a stone on a string and attaches it to a stick. Then, holding the stick horizontal to the ground, he recites all the names of his and his wife's dead relatives. When Anapel makes the stone swing at one of the names, they know that the child is the reincarnation of that relative.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Leib-Olmai

The unforgiving forests in Lapland yielded no mercy. If the freezing weather didn’t get you, the beasts that hid under the icy foliage would. This was no place for the faint of heart. Even the brave hunters of the Sami people knew they needed all the help they could get, especially, when they competed against their most feared adversary – the bears. That type of help came in the form of a common tree in the northern Scandinavian lands.

Before the hunt, these hardy men performed a ritual in which they sprinkled themselves with a brownish-red mixture made up of grounded up Adler tree bark and water. They believed the trees possessed a deity that would protect them from the hated bears. Ironically, this protective deity often showed up in the form of a bear.

Still, they believed Leib-Olmai, the forest deity in question, would grant them luck on the hunt, as well as protection against skirmishes with the bears.

Literally translated as “alder man”, Leib-Olmai lived in the bark of the Alder tree. Legend has it that he went by other alias such as “bear man” or “bear god”. In addition, he took on the role of a good spirit that helped the hunters of the Sami.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Sun Wukon, aka Monkey King.

Seriously, read his WIkipedia page for a summary. He's a monkey that became intelligent. He's cheated Death, the Chinese Celestial hierarchy, and has had interactions with the Buddha. He can carry two mountains while running as fast as a meteor. He can transform himself, manipulate the weather, and is a skilled staff fighter.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Now THAT is what I'm talking about!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Great idea! From Moana got interested in Pacific Island religions... Maui seems available though it's debateable if he's a God.

Check out Pele the volcano goddess!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele_(deity)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Then there's Hine-nui-te-pō, Goddess of night, who killed Maui by crushing him to death with teeth in her vagina.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hine-nui-te-p%C5%8D
Mike

Post by Mike »

Love Pele! Haven't looked at Maui yet... Thank you!
Mike

Post by Mike »

If not a god, demigods make good heroes for the game.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I will go ahead and be the s***** person who says this thing: I think your motivation and plan is awesome because you're trying to include things, but people who feel like their traditions are already excluded may not look upon this as a gift. I would probably get somebody who has specific expertise to give detailed guidance, when dealing with gods that are still worshiped at present day by people whose religions or cultures are marginalized. The thing about ancient Greece is that it's pretty safe for use by anyone, like its past copyright date made it open access for the world. But let me make it clear that I know your reasons for doing this are awesome and you guys are awesome and the game is awesome and you want to make it better. I just want a full copy of the real thing I can buy already!! Take my money!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 am I will go ahead and be the s***** person who says this thing: I think your motivation and plan is awesome because you're trying to include things, but people who feel like their traditions are already excluded may not look upon this as a gift. I would probably get somebody who has specific expertise to give detailed guidance, when dealing with gods that are still worshiped at present day by people whose religions or cultures are marginalized. The thing about ancient Greece is that it's pretty safe for use by anyone, like its past copyright date made it open access for the world. But let me make it clear that I know your reasons for doing this are awesome and you guys are awesome and the game is awesome and you want to make it better. I just want a full copy of the real thing I can buy already!! Take my money!!
Input appreciated. We have had this very discussion and wouldn't move forward without consulting at least a couple experts on the topic. It may ultimately crash and burn, but we want to try.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

👍
Are we able to use any of our emojis?
👽🙀👀🌸
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I will never use words again.
🤐
🎼💖🏞️🌲🌲🌲🏞️
Mike

Post by Mike »

Right?! ▶️ ▶️ ▶️