Falling Asleep to...

poorpete

Falling Asleep to...

Post by poorpete »

What do y'all fall asleep to?

For the past few weeks I've been slowly working my way through the first few episodes of The Simpsons via Disney Plus. But really slowly as I have not yet made it through a single Season 1 episode without falling asleep. Now, this is to be expected as I'm putting it on in hopes it doesn't keep me awake. I start the next day from the last scene I remember.

Episode 1 took me about 3 watches
Episode 2 a bit more
Episode 3 a bit more
Episode 4 I started yesterday and where my diary begins..........

I fell asleep before the credits ended.
poorpete

Re: Falling Asleep to...

Post by poorpete »

I made it a bit farther into Episode 4, the Dr. Marvin Monroe zapping each other episode, which is about how much Homer worries his family is terrible. So in that way, it doesn't quite have the character relationships down -- Future Homer would care less that his family's going to hell. Lisa or Marge would care. Homer would sometimes care about himself, but that's about it. Minuses for that and for some wacky character designs, but the writing is pretty great otherwise. It's full of Simpsons humor. But fell asleep before they started zapping each other.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I used to use Futurama to fall asleep to. I've seen them all so many times that it was relaxing to close my eyes and see the episode in my head and then be asleep within ten minutes.

The problem is that I fall asleep with the tv on, and then I have to turn it off later in the night. The other problem is that if I use the "sleep" function to turn it off after half an hour, then it goes off at 9:30 (yes, I go to bed early like the old man that I am) and the noise from outside the room-- my kids, dogs, whatever-- wakes me up.

Then when our house was destroyed by the flood, this rich guy let us stay in his empty lake house for a month (for free!) and it had a dedicated white noise generator by the side of the bed. I'd never used one before.

This has changed my life. I'm a light sleeper and I live in a noisy house with a lot of people. But white noise generators are miracle workers. I now have a little google home speaker next to my bed that I use. It has improved my sleep tremendously.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

:D I get myself into a horizontal position and attempt to grasp my hugger pillow before I actually pass out cold. It takes usually less than 5 to 10 seconds. 20 seconds at the outside. Sometimes I fall asleep to the sound of my own inner voice of the mind saying things like, "I hear the commotion going on and haha I'm just going to lay here and pretend to be asleep but clearly I'm not sleeping." In all such cases I am asleep.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I’ve used a white noise machine for years. Love it. Have a white noise app on my phone that I use when I travel any stay in hotels.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Tahlvin wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:33 pm I’ve used a white noise machine for years. Love it. Have a white noise app on my phone that I use when I travel any stay in hotels.
Smart. Pete- sorry. Didn’t mean to hijack the thread.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

This is great, exactly what I wanted. I changed the name of it (originally said Falling Asleep to The Simpsons) to make it more open ended.

Since I've been a lot better about my anxious thought spirals, recently I've actually enjoyed falling asleep to silence. There's something, what's the word, peaceful to it...

But still mostly I put something on. Another thing I do is pick silly podcasts that it's okay if I miss most of it, like Pistol Shrimps Radio. Goofy stuff with minimal plot or discussion topics.