Deathless

Mike

Re: Deathless

Post by Mike »

Does not resonate.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That's a funny scene but I don't think it's the best quote from caddyshack. Personally I like stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball. As well as "So I got that going for me, which is nice." And "you'll get nothing and like it", and "the world needs ditch diggers too", and "we can do that - we don't even have to have a reason". Oh another classic is "I have to laugh because I've outsmarted even myself', or "do you wanns make $14 the hard way?"
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #86:
"Attica! Attica!", Sonny Wortzik (Al Pacino), Dog Day Afternoon
Mike

Post by Mike »

Good morning!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #85:
"My precious.", Gollum (Andy Serkis), The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I just remembered another caddyshack quote I try to use a lot in my daily living, "I gotta get inside this dude's pelt and crawl around for a few days."
The clip is a good one and also reminded me it's not "outsmarted" - the actual quote here is even better:
I have to laugh because I've out-finessed myself!
These are some quotes we find ourselves returning to again and again in life. One of my friends in college, this was his favorite movie so a lot of it just peppered the conversation and that has continued. He's a really serious person who now works for Microsoft and really fits there in a fully happy way, if that gives you a sense of how amusing it is that this is his favorite movie.

Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #84:
"Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast.", Carl Denham (Robert Armstrong), King Kong, 1933
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Good line.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #83:
"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make.", Count Dracula (Bela Lugosi), Dracula, 1931
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Eh. Some of these aren't that great.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Yeah, cultural cache of this one, if there was much, is pretty much zilch now. I don't think I ever heard this quoted.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #82:
"Toga! Toga!", John "Bluto" Blutarsky (John Belushi), National Lampoon's Animal House
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I mean, sure. He owns Toga like Pacino owns Attica. If you hear the word the clip plays in my head. But it's usage is minimal
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Agreed.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Pete's Top 36 36 Views of Mount Fuji by Hokusai #31

This was the last of the thirty-six and I wonder if at this point he was like "yeah, I got nothing left to say." The MET calls this one "bleak" so seemingly this might be a poor family. Maybe he ended on a message? The boat house still looks kinda inviting, though I am a bit confused over where exactly the water begins and ends. Maybe it's marshland? Anywho, kinda like the clouds in the background. Wouldn't mind this on my wall.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Before reading your comments, I saw this one and thought, "Oh. Why does this seem so sad to me?" I'm glad to see me and the MET kind of see the same thing.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #81:
"Hello, gorgeous.", Fanny Brice (Barbra Streisand), Funny Girl
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Never heard it.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

This is one of the best new-top me old films I've seen in the last few months. My favorite line was when she said "stick around for the jokes" in the song "I am the Greatest Star", saying it in such a way that I thought maybe she was quoting someone who was famous in the 1910s but I see no evidence on Google, so it's probably just Barb/Fanny being silly and fun.

Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #80:
"Yo, Adrian!", Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone), Rocky, 1976
(I looked for a clip on YouTube, but they're all from Rocky II instead of Rocky I, and I don't have that much time to go on a fishing expedition for it, so that's what you get.)
Mike

Post by Mike »

How many movie quotes are there that stand on their own, completely outside of any context from the movie they're in? I know that if you make a quote long enough, you are essentially just providing the context of the movie by retelling the entire scene, but this best-of list seems to be focusing on relatively short, one or two line clips. So how many short movie quotes can stand on their own?

Jokes, especially one-liners, are good for this. But personally, I'm more interested in non-jokes. The best one I have so far is "I see dead people." But even that one would be better with a little more context. There's some questioning from Bruce Willis with silent answers from Osment before the kid finally gets to: "Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead." Which is a little wordy, but stands up really well as it's own quote.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

That's why I like the King Kong line, "It was beauty that killed the beast." I know the quote- but forgot it was from King Kong.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I'd say "Hello gorgeous" works that way, as both summing up the elegance, confidence, and humor that made Fanny Brice a star and made Barbara royalty in Hollywood, but also is something you can easily look at yourself in the mirror and repeat.

I'm going to try that. :-)

"My precious" also works as a good summation of Lord of the Rings and also something that can come up in real life with all the things we covet. Also has the benefit over Funny Girl in that it's still in the cultural firmament.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Yeah- I feel like "My precious" trascends LotR- and I know people who haven't seen the movie, but still know and use the quote.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Pete's Top 36 36 Views of Mount Fuji by Hokusai #30

People toiling under the majestic sight of Fuji? check
Torii shrine (had to look that up) that mimics the slopes of Fuji? check?
Interesting colors? Mind-bending horizon? People not so mishapen that they are distracting? check, check, check!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Okay- but what's with the circle headed guy that looks like this:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I don't find most of these quotes particularly memorable. Once certain quotes make it into our parlance, they get used all the time.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I believe the circle is a "kasa" one of em Japanese hats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasa_(hat)

And if that blew your apple'd mind, get ready for...

Pete's Top 36 36 Views of Mount Fuji by Hokusai #29
This might be the trippiest of all thirty-six. If you remove everything in the foreground it's a pretty standard landscape. But then he obscures Fuji with the white object that 100% does not mimic its slopes. Then you add a nice horse held by a hat-wearing fellow who I still have no idea if he's facing us or not. What are his arms doing and how are they doing it? But his misshapenness works with all the other weirdness in this. And are those guys fishing? I thought they were on a hillside? I don't get it, and maybe it's best to not understand it. Pretty horse, tho.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Ooooooo. I really like that one. There's a surreal angle to it that really is a bit Magrite-like, right?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #79:
Striker: "Surely you can't be serious." Rumack: "I am serious … and don't call me Shirley.", Ted Striker and Dr. Rumack (Robert Hays and Leslie Nielsen), Airplane!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Now we're getting into some quality movie quote material.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Exactly. Self contained jokes--especially quality dad jokes like this--will hold up very well.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #78:
"Open the pod bay doors, HAL.", Dave Bowman (Keir Dullea), 2001: A Space Odyssey
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Nope.

By the way, if Damn You Dirty Apes isn't on this list, then its not a legitimate list.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #77:
"Soylent Green is people!", Det. Robert Thorn (Charlton Heston), Soylent Green
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Okay. That's a pretty good line.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Are there other movie quotes that spoil a movie? Like, spoilers, at least with The Sixth Sense it's not "The Sixth Sense I have is that I'm really dead!" This one is like "Citizen Kane is me and Rosebud is a sled!"
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I think the Apes one is on here, or at the very least the final spoiler line... you know "Damn them, damn the Planet of the Apes was Earth all along!"
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #76:
"Hasta la vista, baby.", The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger), Terminator 2: Judgment Day
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

This is one where James Cameron knew it was going to be a catchphrase. It was pre-ordained, which kinda makes it unimpressive. It was even introduced kinda like that, right? Like, hey Terminator, you need a catchphrase, so you should say this...

Pete's Top 36 36 Views of Mount Fuji by Hokusai #28

I originally put this last but each time I readjusted my list, it went higher and higher. In many ways this is the most boring print -- two toned, no people, just a landscape, no drama. Yeah, here's a little hill that mimics Fuji. But over time I've come to really enjoy this one, for it's seeming simplicity, for it's green green and blue blues. It's relaxing.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #75:
"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.", Blanche DuBois (Vivien Leigh), A Streetcar Named Desire
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Okay. Classic line. That one makes the cut.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #74:
"Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown.", Lawrence Walsh (Joe Mantell), Chinatown
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Hmmm. Not feeling it. Also not feeling that last Mt. Fuji. I agree with your initial blush assessment, pete.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Never seen Chinatown.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

AFI top 100 movie quotes, #73:
"Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?", Rico Bandello (Edward G. Robinson), Little Caesar
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Never heard it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kyle wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:39 pmNever heard it.
Of course you have. We saw it together as kids. Remember, it had that chimp Bonzo that played football, and then when it got to the part where Ronald Reagan says, "Well, there's no rule here that says a monkey CAN'T play football," and I said "Hey! Chimps aren't monkeys!" and at the exact same moment, you said, "Hey! This is just a ripoff of Air Bud!" Remember?

Good times
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mike wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:01 pm
Kyle wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:39 pmNever heard it.
Of course you have. We saw it together as kids. Remember, it had that chimp Bonzo that played football, and then when it got to the part where Ronald Reagan says, "Well, there's no rule here that says a monkey CAN'T play football," and I said "Hey! Chimps aren't monkeys!" and at the exact same moment, you said, "Hey! This is just a ripoff of Air Bud!" Remember?

Good times
Wow. I totally forgot that. And then we made our own chocolate ice cream cones with magic shell and sugar cones and chugged Mello Yellow, but you drank it too fast and it came out your nose. Good times.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

It was referenced in The Simpsons, so it did have some cultural cache in the 90s

and of course Edward G. Robinson being the voice inspiration for Chief Wiggum

ooooh instead of quoting say Julius Caesar, it quotes Little Caesar. I get it! I get jokes.