The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

poorpete

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by poorpete »

I've done Taylor wrong. I think I would have picked this song over all the other songs that lost in this round, and a few that won too. I haven't dipped my toe into folklore and evermore yet, but am excited to, if "cardigan" is any example. Also, many critics have not been picking "cardigan" as the standout track of hers this year -- that's good news for my deep-dive-to-come. After conquering country and pop, she's moving into indie rock singer-songwriter phase, and I am excited for this era. So excited, I must be because I'm kicking her off the list. I went for interesting matchups and Taylor and Fiona felt like a good match. Hold on, let me think of some negatives for this song. Hmmm, I guess the big negative is it's about a cardigan. That "under my sweatshirt" line keeps it off my music that I'll share with my kids for now... amusing as the next match is two of the most raunchy songs of 2020.

Anyways. That Swift is destined to be known as one of the great songwriters of this era AND she can score number one hits, is to be treasured.

Next:
WAP by Cardi B. featuring Megan Thee Stallion
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=-tmSS ... ture=share
vs
Safaera by Bad Bunny featuring Jowell & Randy and Ñengo Flow
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ6Cg ... ture=share
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

An easy call would be "WAP" isn't a song for me. I find it funny -- I think it's supposed to be funny. I find it rapped very well. I'm happy for their success. Happy for the song's success. I've liked Cardi B's previous songs and what I've heard from Megan too. It's a celebration of female raunch -- well it's a celebration of women celebrating men. That's good. Being a landmark or glass-shatterer is good. But here's some truths beyond "I'm a prude", though that obviously plays a part. The music still matters, and although it's a fine bed, it's nothing spectacular. Also -- honestly it's about how I consume music: usually in the car or while working. Sometimes family is around. Sometimes we'll be dancing. My coworker has different tastes in music, and she often says, well, this song is great for "baby making" -- lol. Anyways, that's not how I consume music. I also consume music to feel good and sometimes to laugh, so that's what this song does well. Otherwise, the raunchy-song-I-can-play-around-my-family-because-they-have-no-idea-what-is-being-said-because-it's-in-Spanish wins.

End of Round 1.
justmewards 2020 songs.jpg
justmewards 2020 songs.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Next match:
The Bigger Picture vs. Black Parade
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

A real feeling of my summer head-space. Man to say "hell of a year" and it was just a few months into this. The feeling, the overwhelming anxiety, the endless thoughts, realizations and counter-realizations. Confidence and fear. "I'm just here to vent" but it's more too, "I'm going to make it count." Also, the palpable anger, the goal of turning up the flames a little. Feeling all the feels, the Inside Out emotions, anger, sadness, fear, disgust, and a lowlevel joy that comes with hearing a beautiful and inspiring song.

Next:
Circles by Post Malone
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=wXhTH ... ture=share
vs
Blinding Lights by The Weeknd
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=J7p4b ... ture=share
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Random grab-bag of responses: I have not heard the song that was going against WAP, and can't judge so well after the first hearing, but ok. I like the version of Megan thee Stallion's Savage with Beyonce better than either of those - that was my radio target for quite some time.

The bracket is rough because my semi-final would be Dua Lipa vs BTS! I also really do not know some of these songs. The Post Malone Circles song probably deserves some success because it is SO catchy and cannot be dispelled easily, even though I loathe his singing, the lyrics, all of it. He bleats like a damn sheep and I cannot, I cannot stand it! He and Ariana Grande should sing some sort of duet so he can yodel and she can breathe and pant.

Taylor Swift! I hadn't listened to much of anything from her new album and you are very right, she's going back to a good place by doing the whole singer/songwriter thing - is this like the "cottagecore" music? It's not something I would listen to on purpose much, but it's nice when present. I will say I REALLY like her waterfall piano though. I REALLLLLLLLLLY like that water piano. That was cool. I was sucked in to watching because I wanted to see more of it, and then realized something is very odd about her pinky finger! Now I'm feeling unsettled because I didn't want to greet 2021 with weird images of Taylor Swift's surprisingly weird pinky finger in my mind. I have the shortest, weirdest pinky fingers - it looks like someone broke my fingers a few times and didn't bother to reset them later, and they are so small and knobbly and pointy - I didn't think anyone else could have weirder little pinky fingers than this, but Taylor Swift has done it. They're like, bent the wrong way somehow? And so short for her hand - this one finger is sticking out, looking like it was lopped off at the knuckle, while the others are bent 90 degrees on the piano! Aaaa! Anyway, good song, Taylor, give us more waterfall piano.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

So part of why I put matches together is based on genre (like Dua Lipa and BTS both in the neo-disco milieu, though if you really want me to, I can switch out with Doja Cat to give it a chance) but a bit of it is to take down easy targets and replace them with more worthy stuff. No easier target on this list than Post Malone, who is easy to dislike. Ok that's rude, probably a nice guy. Also: there's a lot to really like about this song. The bass is great. Love the bass. It reminds me of the work of Peter, Bjorn, and John. I also don't mind his voice. What I didn't like was the music video but most of all "the sex though sex though" line. Yes, prudish pete is back, but I also think it's a silly line.

And Blinding Lights is better. Sacrificing PM to the Weeknd gods...

Next match:
Colors
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=ctgR4 ... ture=share
vs
People, I've Been Sad
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=BFJMv ... ture=share
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ya, silly lyrics there, I agree - not for prudish reasons but because, is that the best he can do? Anyway, the music is super catchy and The solution is obviously to have BTS write new lyrics in Korean and sing them without the yodel. They sang the song already in carpool karaoke, so we know they can sing it better.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Today's mood captured in all its nuances by the second-best cultural product to emerge from Iowa, right behind cows made entirely from butter! New year not getting off to a very good start, but at least everyone is well and nobody has covid and so forth. Lots to be thankful for. Practicing gratitude to the soundtrack of my warm heart:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I like the song, for all it's silliness. I think part of the silliness is the point. King Kong rhymed with LeBron. And ping pong. And ding dong. Come on! It's well sung well produced and is silly. Maybe did them wrong putting the up against Dua Lipa, but someone had to compete against her. Disco overload... Also the guy has TWO posters of The Beatles' Abbey Road in his attic bedroom. Two posters of Bowie's "Aladin Sane" too.

Next match:
Everything I wanted by Billie Eilish
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=EgBJm ... ture=share
vs
I Know The End by Phoebe Bridger's
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC6mE ... ture=share
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Whoops skipped a match!

Colors... I really like. Another kind of song I love. Only real soul song on here, live instruments, and positive lyrics. Also props to Grammys for highlighting a song that wasn't a hit nor huge with the critics. They are playing taste maker, and they did great selecting this track. So why, if this is about second-guessing The Grammys, that I applaud them and also kick out the track? Because it came from an album what was out a year and a half ago. I get benefit goes to songs that didn't gain a reputation until 2020 (ala Lizzo last year) but Grammys DID know this song in 2019. They even nominated the band for Best New Artist... on the strength of the album. Nah, they should have celebrated it last year.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I really like the Billie eilish song. It was a good day for you to give the boot to BTS, if it was ever going to happen at all, because it was truly the worst day of the year so far. Today is a much better day so I would have actually been sad if you had harmed the beloved. Now it's just water under the bridge.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Not new, but it came to mind this morning.

When demons haunt inside of her
She fights hard not to show it
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Well it's been fun but I got to go back to work now that I have a computer again. Buckling in for the long haul with this baby on repeat:
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Long pause, I could blame the coup, but I think I just forgot too. Plus this last match was hard.

So kicking out Bliie was hard, as I do think this is a pretty great mood piece. That she and her brother are top-notch talents who work great together and this is a song about their relationship, which shows others that it's not weird at all to have such a relationship with a sibling. Just kidding, the song and the video makes it like they have a death pact together, though I assume that's all symbolic, but wow. My ickiness at the uber-emo desperation story is assuaged by it's overall ode to being saved.

Next match:
Da Baby - Rockstar (feat. Roddy Ricch)
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=83xBP ... ture=share
Ju$t - Run the Jewels (feat. Zack De La Rocha and Pharrell Williams)
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=b4B_Y ... ture=share
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I really do like that song - I am not a fan of her singing style but when it works, it works well! I can't attend to her lyrics, or his lyrics, whoever writes them - just not my thing, not at all. But at least she seems like a pretty decent human, so good. I have bigger and better fish to fry, and you know I am dipping only in that same small pond as usual. Someday this obsession may end, but I have discovered it's best to just let the waters of such things gently ebb and flow if they will, and eventually the tide goes out for a while and you can listen to other music, or you are in the car and they just won't play BTS for mysterious and absurd reasons! The "money money money" part is sung by my precious J-Hope - he is saying something else but I don't know what it is. Oh and two of those rap parts. I do love all of them, but he's just special - his brain is firing on whatever weird wavelength mine is firing on.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I guess it shouldn't be shocking that this guy got arrested for carrying pistol on his hip like he's a cop, as he raps here. Like a lot about this, like how he subverts and redefines "rockstar." The music surrounding it is great. It's rapped very very well. An issue I have is I've become ok with taking a very very bad word and turning it into a "term of endearment" but in this song it's used 9 out of 10 times to refer to someone who we think is negative. He also refers to himself with that word, which I expect and have become ok with, but when he talks about killing certain people using that word, it's just, I'm still a bit uncomfortable with it.

Next:
Say So by Doja Cat
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=pok8H ... ture=share
Shamieka by Fiona Apple
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0SbNu ... ture=share
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I precision striked this song because I felt, and still feel, it relatively unworthy of consideration as a best song. I will say it's really good. I like her singing and rapping (she got good flow in an Iggy Azalea style). It has that disco song produced by Kanye feel that I like (ala "American Boy"). But we already have a great disco song on this list and surprised they picked this over the better and more retro Blinding Lights or say... Shameika.

Next match:
Savage Remix vs. Safaera

I really like epic songs and it's rare to here an epic dance song... Reminds me a bit of some of Beastie Boys work "B Boy Bouillabaisse." I didn't know that it was an ode to latin subgenres of the last two decades, nor that it is pretty risque. Still a fun listen, just no Savage Remix.

End of Round 2!

Next match:
Black Parade vs. Blinding Lights
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I think you made the right call on both of those, because in the first case the song is not that hot, and in the second case the competitor song IS that hot. My only objection to the Savage remix is that Tina clearly still is a savage and so they should not be using the past tense on her in that way. Anyway, remember that love me love me, blah blah blah blah what is that song? Cardigans love fool? I think they just listen to that and then went bump bump bump and made that Doja Cat song. I liked it the first time I heard it and then I was like, this is basically just listening to love fool again with a different singer, and then I got really bored of it instantly.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Maybe my most-listened to song of 2020. I really love it. I love nearly every line written, nearly not a wasted line, which unlike a lot of lengthly rap songs. Maybe Dylanesque in that way? Love the overall theme, and the enveloping music. If it's not top-tier Beyonce it might be because it doesn't change things up enough. But my goodness, feels this song is both underrated and overrated at the same time. Wonder how time will age it...

Next:
People, I've Been Sad
vs.
Don't Start Now
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

If "Black Parade" is the BLM song of the year, this might be the quarantine song of the year. People have been sad, been gone, been missing out for way too long, is how I felt this year and how I generally feel about Christine and the Queens, which I should be getting into at any point now. It's great.

For the next two, instead of two matches where a singer-songwriter faces off against rap titans, I'm mixing up the competitors so they face their genre counterparts.

Next match:
I Know the End vs. Shameika
then
Ju$t vs. Savage Remix
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I love this song for being both twee and epic. Ending in screams that are both of pain and in humor. Reminds me of classic songs by Bright Eyes and Elliot Smith and the production work of Jon Brion. Would LOVE to hear this live. That she shows appreciation for the only one in her audience who is actually feeling the music, that's me!

Ju$t arrived at the right time, with it's incendiary attack on the societal fire-starters, starting with the slave owners posing on yo dollar. What hit me more than it's goal of associating capitalism with slavery (which they make many valid points) is just the simple fact that there are slave-owners on our money. What does it mean that our society is relatively okay with that? Anyways, I love how these guys, in their late 40s and early 50s, are making angry and poignant and musically wonderful music.

Next matches:
Blinding Lights vs. Don't Start Now
Shameika vs. Savage Remix
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

A perfect homage to the synthetic synthesizer sounds of the 80s. But being perfect can only get you so far...

A tornado, a cacophony of percussion and piano, wonderfully hooky. 25 years of Fiona music and she has only become more pissed off, funny, and warm. One of her best and one of the best of the year.

Final:
Don't Start Now vs. Savage Remix
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

justmewards 2020 songs (1).jpg
justmewards 2020 songs (1).jpg (50.1 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Well you have managed to come up with with my two favorites assuming we discount BTS, so that this is pleasant!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I am easily swayed so I think you hyping these two definitely played a part. I mean I did say "Black Parade" was the song I listened to the most last year, but just picking that would be no fun. A Black Parade vs Shameika final, why should I go with my preconceived opinions. So I leaned into attacking my preconceptions. Sometimes it works, like me reconsidering Janis Joplin and Lauryn Hill, two I enjoy but thought a little overrated but gave them another chance and found their works spoke to me.

So there is a lot to love about the modern disco classics (the future nostalgia) of Dua Lipa. She has what, five hits in the last year? Her album has a few more that she could unleash too, if she wanted to go all Janet on us (I miss the years of Ms Jackson releasing like 7 singles off an album). Although I am partial to "Break My Heart", this one is up there. I mean it made it here didn't it? Ten years after Robyn's "Dancing On My Own" and four after Beyonce's "Sorry" here's a worthy successor to both, a middle finger to lame men, waved high on the dance floor that is bliss to listen and dance to. Love it.

Thinking ahead to the Grammys, whenever they shall appear, my current rooting is...
best record... I want Beyonce and Megan to win. The song is great. Two trade now-classic verses. Megan is riding high near the top. Beyonce, long snubbed, deserves her due, finally. She released a good movie this year and (again) my most-listend to song, but chances are her 2020 legacy will be this near-perfect remix. I'm all in, I want them to win. So they win here.

I'm going to move onto a 2020/Grammys Best album bracket next. Consolation prize, at least right now, and we'll see if I change my mind, but I'm rooting for Dua Lila's "Future Nostalgia" to win the Best Album Grammy.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Can't complain about these - if the others have to lose you can pick a worse person than Beyoncé to lose to!

I need some kind of music for the evening, because I'm so freaked out and stressed out by everything going on. there's just so much coincidence stressful stuff happening right now it is beyond belief. for this occasion like every other I am sure there is a good BTS song but I haven't landed on the one yet.

Never mind... No sooner did I say it than I landed on it. It is the perfect song for the next 24 hours. The guy in the upper left - they illuminate with color the one who is singing at any given moment on these things - is our worldwide handsome precious baby alpaca, Jin. No J-Hope on this song. Love all seven but Jin's voice is like the clear ringing bell of the angels.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Gaga goes 4/4, like Whitney, which leads me to wonder: why was it a waltz to begin with?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Chills.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Onto the best albums, 25 of them...

Top 8 seeds and first round byes go to the current Grammy nominees, with the only exception being Folklore, which will have to play Evermore, either way giving Taylor Swift automatic entry into round 2.

The next 16 songs are picked from Acclaimed Music's list of critic favorites.

Tried to switch around some of these to make them more appropriate, but the only real change I did was make sure "Fetch the Bolt Cutters" and "Future Nostalgia" wouldn't face each other so soon (it's possible they'll be out early, but who knows!). That means there's gonna be some weird competitions, like Dylan vs. Jessie Ware's dance album, or rap gods Run the Jewels vs. psychedelic rockers Time Impala. Then there's two albums on here that are experimental and feature a naked man on the cover, you'd think they should face each other. Yet, nah.
justmewards 2020 albums.jpg
justmewards 2020 albums.jpg (61.84 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
I will listen to each round 1 album at least 3 times, round 2 album at least 4 times, etc. I will also try to mix up my listening, not just half-listen on my headphones while working. I will also try to listen at least once while reading the lyrics and if it's a dance album I'll try to dance to it.

Match 1:
Saint Cloud by Waxahatchee
https://music.youtube.com/browse/MPREb_ihZ7VTmOACm
vs.
Heaven to a Tortured Mind by Yves Tumor
https://music.youtube.com/browse/MPREb_EW11k5ujKg4
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh wow I hardly know any of these! Should be interesting. It won't let me look at the playlist on my phone, must be the settings on here. Will have to examine this later. Today is also mentally a day of Mozart and I cannot get anything else past it!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Fun and exciting and loud experimental rock album, a mix of Prince and Talking Heads and a bit of Guided By Voices too. A few standout tracks, like the opening track and the one below.

Next match:
Bob Dylan - Rough and Ready Ways
https://music.youtube.com/browse/MPREb_CbdaLGRHqOQ
vs.
Jessie Ware - What’s Your Pleasure
https://music.youtube.com/browse/MPREb_XwHO77Bg22R
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

It's not in the top 15 of 1978, but I saw this in the list of the top 100 for that year, listened to it, and was reminded how much I enjoy it.

Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

And I may have posted it before, but this is one of my favorite renditions of this song. I miss being able to have school concerts this year.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh I miss concerts too! That's one of the few things I feel like I'm missing and that I would leave my house for in the future.

I was puzzled by the whole bracket system for Pete's latest competition, because even though I theoretically "knew" that Taylor Swift had two albums in the same year, I couldn't figure out which one was which, and whether they were actually different. It turns out that although Folklore appears to be the more popular album, maybe on the strength of songs released earlier this fall, the one I personally prefer seems to be Evermore. Still not 100% sure I understand what is going on with these, but anyway I like it. I'm not a Taylor Swift fan generally but it seems like she went a new direction, or maybe back to an older direction, with her songs. Part of what I don't like about them, which may seem funny when I listen to a lot of other music with absolutely ridiculous lyrics, is that I don't like her lyrics. I don't know why, they just don't speak to me much and never have. For example in this song I like, things are going okay and then she lands/lingers on a clunker line about a '90s trend. Eh! Anyway, I like the move towards this type of song. Most of this is pretty darn good:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Ha! I'm just starting my first listen of 'Evermore' and thought that the 90s trend line was kinda a clunker too. I've listened to 'Folklore' one and a half times through, and I really appreciate she has done away with (knock-on-wood) sassy bridges! I'm thinking

"I'm sorry, the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now -- she's dead!"
and
"My ex-man brought his new girlfriend, she's like, “Oh my God --- "
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh yes, those horrid cheesy bridges. No to all of that. The new direction is quite pleasant by contrast.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

10/10 Feels so good beep beep! Toot toot!

Ok, this was hard. And I'm not quite sure "What's Your Pleasure" is better as Dylan's latest. If I had to wager, I'd put more money that the 20th listen of "Rough and Rowdy Ways" would be more engaging. It's poetic, funny, touching. Nobel Prize worthy storytellling? Maybe! Wonder, as Tom Waits was influenced by Dylan, if Bob was able to learn from Tom how to use gravel to sell a song. So my reasons to oust it comes to two reasons: at this moment I'd rather listen to Jessie Ware more, and Dylan has his rewards, his greatest, deserved, but for now I'd rather investigate the new...

Next:
Set My Heart On Fire Immediately by Perfume Genius
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... prWiIrSjos
Vs
SAWAYAMA by Rina Sawayama
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... GDWHArxQzU
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Current musical joy:

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I keep saying these matches are tough, but this one feels especially tough. I feel I'm going to regret nixing Sawayama, but here are the small reasons.
1. The excitement of the first few listens waned slighly on the fourth listen.
2. The fourth listen I've been trying to read along with the lyrics, and in this case Perfume Genius shined and improved unexpectedly. I'm slightly more excited to listen to his album again...

But that's not to say at all that Sawayama is unworthy of the praise received. It's great fun. It seems both inspired by nu-metal (which for all I hate about it, there is a visceral joy to it that she taps into) and Lady Gaga. This is her debut(!) and portends a great future for her. And also, even though it lost, it has maybe my favorite new-to-me song so far in this competition, the all-too-real "Bad Friend" which seems ripped out of my life. Nearly all my high school and college friends and New York City friends I feel like the "Bad Friend." This song will stay with me for a long time...

I'm so good at crashing in
Making sparks and shit, but then
I'm a bad, I'm a bad, I'm a bad friend
So don't ask me where I've been
Been avoiding everything
'Cause I'm a bad, I'm a bad, I'm a bad friend

Next:
Fetch the Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple
https://music.youtube.com/browse/MPREb_THra6CyCfb4
vs.
Róisín Machine by Róisín Murphy
https://music.youtube.com/browse/MPREb_j4XVTKIxw3n
Last edited by poorpete on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

This is very dissonant, so it took me a while to get used to it, but I love it now. Just brilliant.
Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Oooh! I love those kinds of records.

"Fetch the Bolt Cutters" has some of that, unexpected percussion and background elements, that feel weird at first, but then eventually they feel like candy treats to the ears.

"Roisin Machine" is a great dance record! It wasn't able to take down Fiona, but it's worthy to be on this list. There's quite a few favorites here, including "Murphy's Law" which I liked from the first listen and seems to be the fan favorite too. But my highlight is the song preceding it, "We Got Together." Unlike the rest of the album which cares a little bit with lyricism, this only cares about dancing-like-noone's-watching. There's a point where everything drops and then comes back bigger than ever, that was an otherworldly experience in the car. I felt weightless. It was wild. And wonderful. Every listen since I've chased that high...

PLAY IT LOUD

Then if you love it, and/or want something with good lyrics that feels like it could have been made by Anita Baker, check out Murphy's Law...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9m7QIAGf0Y

Next Match:
A Hero's Death by Fointaines DC
https://music.youtube.com/browse/MPREb_S8Z4NC3kgyl
vs
Shore by Fleet Foxes
https://music.youtube.com/browse/MPREb_CUamDFBnscS
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I was playing catchup as my listening habits were getting haphazard. This reminded me of the Sawayawa vs. Perfume Genius competition, where I was clearly a favorite of Fontaines DC but upon listening while reading the lryics Fleet Foxes roses and Fontaines DC faltered. I keep going back and forth but landing on ousting Fleet Foxes. It's a beautiful listen, full of joy and sorrow. I appreciate it more and more with each listen. Put it clearly, with all these albums, none of them are bad, and most of them are really good.

I need a better rating system. Like I'm rarely going to rate anything poor anymore. Everything has its qualities unless its actively evil or made to annoy on purpose, or I guess if it was tossed off without a second thought (I'm guilty of that). So I'm thinking that ratings should be based on how it compares to silence. 1/10 means it's equal to silence. 0/10 means it's worse than silence. 10/10 means it's 10 times better than silence.

Anyways, Fleet Foxes are 6 times better than silence. I like this one, as someone raising kids and wondering if I'd be allowed back into music circles or if I've aged out...

Next:
RTJ4 by Run the Jewels
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... 68DYGDbFs
vs.
The Slow Rush by Time Impala
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... xWdUNZ-3eM
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Hard to beat RTJ, especially when it's in the round where lyrics count. Still this has a lot of great stuff. Minor quibble with Tame Impala is I feel they like sticking with a sound and repeating it a dozen times, which goes well with the psychedelic hypnotic music they play, but as someone not high, I'd rather they move on from a melody sooner, or mix it up. Had a hard time picking a fav, partly because I would love a verse but not so much the chorus and visa versa. Still, I mean, very good stuff. As seems the case lately, I gravitated to a song about growing older and falling out of a scene.

Next:
Punisher by Phoebe Bridgers
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... 5efdSAaV3c
vs.
how I'm feeling now by Charlie XCX
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... N0SMnpevoI
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Electronic pop with an experimental edge. Lots of fun stuff in here, though I had another difficult time finding a song that I enjoyed the verses and choruses equally. In the end, one that is a little less experimental but still has a fun vibe. And I'm a sucker for any NY song...

Next:
Evermore vs. Folklore

Aside: one thing I noticed, 15 out of the 25 albums I'm listening to does not have words on the cover. This used to be a rarity, right? I guess since you'll see the album info beside the cover, it kinda makes sense.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I don't know, your rankings make sense to me. Silence is sometimes a 10 out of 10 depending on the moment. Sometimes a zero. I have been listening to other people playing music so I don't have any music in my thoughts today. Maybe a bit of Jin/BTS Epiphany because it prevents me from feeling low. Life is short!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Sometimes this setup is awkward: having two songs or albums fight it out and then I write about the one I like least. But I think it's nice to point out a bit of why I liked an album, even though I may like another better.

This one is awkward in a few ways, as they are both Taylor Swift albums, they both are top-notch, and the one I'm kicking out has my favorite song. But that kinda makes this easier because I can move Folklore on but do what I really want which is talk about "Marjorie" right now.

Listening, I started out going, huh, Marjorie is my maternal grandma's name. Then to hear the lyrics, and go, huh, this could be a song about a grandma. And then go, holy moley, if this is a song about a grandma, it's incredibly personal and relatable and moving. And then to read up on maternal grandma Marjorie Finlay, whose is sampled in the song. Now I didn't have as personally close a relationship with my Grandma, but I sure miss her and she was for the most part a positive part of my life. A lot of the nostalgia I easily graft on my parents, who are not dead, but the talk of lessons and singing and swimming all relate heavily to. My Marjorie song would be different. But one piece of how deep this song takes me.

I dunno if I can listen to this without breaking down, at least even a little. I assume this song will someday wear out its emotions, but until then, I'll be the puddle...

Next:
Untitled (Black Is) by SAULT
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... OmhnzWC1w vs.
græ by Moses Sumney
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... dBnkTeHS3M
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yes yes, I like this album better, maybe because it's more introspective, and that song was a goodie. I don't know when they have been releasing the singles but the song I liked has been on the radio now! Just heard it for the first time there (I can't find it above but it was this one). Probably she's just reading here and waiting to take my advice about which song to release as a single, but anyway, good job Taylor Swift, you have finally made music I truly like! Genuine embrace of Taylor Swift, who would have imagined me there? But this is awesome, seriously, the video is awesome too!!!! Or I'm getting soft in old age, I don't know.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

In "Long Story Short" she sings, "past me, I want to tell you not to get lost in these petty things" -- and I think her moving on has made her better, and why I like her more now. I mean she's an adult like us now. That said I should take her advice too.

Moses is new to me and is a fascinating artist. Reminds me equally of lgbt crooners like Rufus Wainwright and Anohni, gospel-tinged soul singers, and Radiohead's expressive experimental sadness. It's a wonderful combination. There are a few gems in here and the rest are very good. It starts great and ends great but I kinda get lost in the long middle bit. Was happy this music video stitched together two songs that blended together, which as one would be my favorite track.

End of Round 1!!
Round 2 starts with Dua Lipa vs Waxahatchie
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I love this! Glad that you posted it because I would probably not have tracked it down on my own. It's so unique and interesting and yet entirely fun to listen to!

I'm sure it is already clear I love Dua Lipa! Glad they are playing Levitating on the radio now, so I can hear it on the drive!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I'll be moving on Dua Lipa but this was an extreme close one. I was tempted to mess around with the tourney to allow these two not to face each other so soon. Was tempted to kick out Dua Lipa and have it destroy all others in the loser bracket (yup, I have a loser bracket) https://challonge.com/83z309j0

Waxahatche is poppy folk rock with lyrics of emotion and humor, which is soooooo up my alley it's how I write music. Literally MY JAM. There is a likely chance that if I get back into performing live, going to open mics, that I will cover one of these. Each listen is a complete joy and I'm bummed I'm kicking it out so soon.

Anyways, will gladly listen to Waxahatche long after this tourney is over. This is a good one...

Next:
Chilombo by Jhene Aiko
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... ohSQmbJVxc
vs.
What's Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... _CMyx3EKF4