The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Mando

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by Mando »

I may have posted this before...FEELS warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Twitter poll that I follow is Peoples_pop -- who is kind enough to share my polls and support my monthly project -- and this week their monthly project is black music from 68-72. It's going to be a great one. If you are on the twitters, it's a fun follow!

Mando

Post by Mando »

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Song of the day.

Reel on a repeating loop
Mando

Post by Mando »

Akiva wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:44 am Song of the day.
nothing better than some BAD...

I like E-MC2 a lot too.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

why the sheep?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The mouton! In the lyrics apparently the Mouton is bored and yawning. Maybe she finds that she has bored her lover or vice versa, or he finds that his own antics have become boring... Even his bad deeds seem to bore the devil. On the other hand, in the video it looks more like she recognizes herself in the sheep. It's just waiting; even the sheep wants to be fancier. I love this song by the way, every once in awhile you pop out something I have never heard of in a million years and probably never would have heard if you had not posted it here! I can see a very large rabbit hole is going to pop up related to this one but there is the matter of work, you know, duty calls.

Their date seems very exciting however, If that's what it is, as opposed to a general representation of whatever they're up to. Who doesn't want to play air hockey?! Everyone likes air hockey right? Good date night.
Mando

Post by Mando »

At 3:53 she has a tail wagging in the background (I think)

I also think the sheep is her persona...invisible and harmless in the eyes of others until it flashes stripes similar to her own that are uncovered in the upstairs room.

This seems to be a deal or competition and the stakes are the "simon with blades" ...so a friendly competition between rivals becomes deadly?

Anyway it hearkens back to the detente era of the 80s...after all he is a Russian agent...and she is a (French??) (tiger) spy working undercover in a bar picking up secrets.

or not
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Beginning my listening adventure of the year 1948.

And as much as it's fun to hear new-to-me old music, this classic really hits the joy receptors. One of those songs I forget are actual songs. Makes me so fricken happy...

Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Ah, I remember that from the Harlem Globetrotters. Don't think I've ever listened to the entire song all the way through, though.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

When the song hits two minutes and the keyboardist is just hitting chords, I can't help but thinkin of a guy spinning a basketball on his fingers and doing other tricks. How is this not one of the greatest songs ever? Why is this not on the Rolling Stone list?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Good question! It's so awesome. I am excited about 1948!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Lately I have been on a classical music and opera kick, so I haven't been posting very many earworms and songs of the day. But this woman...! I'm not a big lover of sopranos but maybe things are changing in my old age because I love Jin's high voice too. Anyway I think this woman has a spectacular voice. Strangely many famous people bubble forth from Midland - one day it's an opera singer, another day it's a former US president now turned painter, who used to outrage us with his lying about weapons of mass destruction and his disregard for scientific facts, until we realized that s*** could get so much worse and did get so much worse! Anyway, in the unexpected way the worm turns we now think he's a lovable grandpa - or at least he seems to like democracy! At least he seemed to be trying to do his best! Look at how far we've traveled along - it's remarkable when you think about it.

Anyway, this woman and her lovely voice:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is such a great song and such a great live version thereof. I realize they're probably appropriating all sorts of things, hindsight on that being a little better now, but wow was there a time I absorbed this fully note by note in its entirety, over and over again. This feels like the closest Robert Plant comes to imitating Janis Joplin and it's wonderful. The closer to Janis the better, guy. Also FYI I try to get up at 6:30 and I go to bed at like 1:00.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I love the song and did not know what it was for the longest time and now all of a sudden I have victoriously found it along with a video and it's actually a good video!!

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Two songs on the same thing:

Still resonates painfully after more than 25 years.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Although I prefer the Bon Scott era of AC/DC, I like all of it, and certainly this part of it in particular. But don't we all?! Judging by the frequency with which this has been adopted as a stadium anthem I would say we all love it. Indeed I would get some football tickets and go see a game in part just for the joy of having this blasted across a stadium wide sound system a few times, but alas, they only ever play a little snippet of it! They barely let the man sing.

It's also kind of nice that a song about the profundities of lust has been taken on as an anthem for gentlemen watching other gentlemen play football, but then that's how the erotics of football generally work! My feminine heterosexuality seems almost parasitic upon it at these times, almost an afterthought to the main event, but it's fine. None of this affects the song itself, which remains a joyful and triumphant testimony to profound lusts, including the erotic passion for music itself! And now we have come circling back to where we started: preference for the Bon Scott era. But it's all good.

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I love that song.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ahhhhhhh she's such a voice, such an Artiste!! It's so good. Get ready to hear this all winter on a radio near you:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

1st listen: felt it was good but indistinguishable from her other ballads
2nd listen: better -- the bass is doing interesting things.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The video for that Adele song is so irritating because I swear you can hear papers blowing in the wind. Is this my imagination? It's a terrible sound, a stressful sound, and some bright bulbs decided to overlay this sound atop her singing! Inexplicable. However, I'm glad it's undesirable to listen to on youtube because I have a feeling I'll be spending all of autumn hearing it on the radio. No sense using up the liking on it too soon.

If I'm at a computer with a youtube for video, I am also not going to be easily diverted from this madness below. This man is Kim Seon-Ho, our main actor from Hometown cha cha cha and Start Up and maybe other things. He is 6 feet tall and born in 1986 so I feel a lot less like a horrid, dirty monster for lusting after him AND HIS DIMPLES. The whole world loves those dimples, it's not just me. He's not as good as our precious alpaca Jin but still good.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Obsessed with the back catalog of BTS and its preferability to some of the more recent works. Yes I'm looking at you, Coldplay collab. This is such a pleasing mix of rap and lovely harmonies and melodies. I hope the next album gets back to some of this approach to making music, instead of giving us their version of the US top 40 chart with guest features.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

I was in Fort Payne, AL on Monday (the home of the country band ALABAMA) looking for some building supplies and having a nice country drive with my wife. There is a 4 statue monument to the group in the downtown park.

A decent song premise...the dancing bits are too much. Hello 1980s America.

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

We had an earthquake drill today, and the guidelines said to stay covered up until the shaking stops.

So of course I had to put this up.

Until the shaking stops, the shaking stops
I think the shaking stopped, the shaking stopped

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Earthquake drill! I don't think I've ever had one of those. Is it true that you're supposed to run outside and try not to let things fall on you? Look how effective I would be in an earthquake! Or if you're on the coast you're supposed to run up the hill so the giant tsunami doesn't get you later?

Anyway, I like this video for Halloween, it speaks to me for Halloween. I too have been on a journey through the desert of the mind with no hope ... during TWENTY FOUR EPISODES of boys without flowers. Lol, boys overflowers. Can't get it to type the actual name. The show is a torment, painful both physically and mentally and otherwise. It requires tremendous endurance to tolerate this. I feel like it somehow captured me and poisoned my own mind against my will so that I have to watch a show where a major plot point is that this woman's shoulder is hurt and then in every single episode someone grabs her by that hurt shoulder or she has to lift something heavy. I have screamed at the TV so many times and now have given up hope and only wait for the man in a coma to wake up.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

if Grohl wants to play drums in your band, it's usually a really good sign.

1959 completing with two great songs I expected to do well but didn't expect to make it to the finals..
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It was a good day:

Mando

Post by Mando »

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

In this dream
On repeat
Since your teens
Every step
Disconnects
From the street
You drift to the sky
But never fly
You struggle to feel
The weight of the real
Now it's here

Reel on a repeating loop
Mando

Post by Mando »

my mood as expressed musically:
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oddly enough this is a musical expression of my mood as well! Was it multiply realized or achieved in the same way? I hope you didn't get here by the route I did, let's put it that way, but I would say this mood is a good place.
Mando

Post by Mando »

I have my wolf mask and hairy home-made-furry claw gloves at work with me today.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Love love love this song and so much hate a certain unspeakable, unmentionable cover of it. This is one of those songs that requires you to stop where you are on the radio dial and sing along until it's over.

I am down the rabbithole with this stuff, so far down, including this kickass cello that is not a cello but a horse-head fiddle, or in this case apparently a goat-head fiddle size LARGE (there is also an XL and a smaller one?). I want to play this, it's like a gamba, the next stop in our rabbithole is what the historical relationship between gambas and these things might be. Anyway, if we have past lives, I think I spent one of mine in a completely nondescript field of grass out here with some livestock, milking them and felting their hairs or something. Maybe more than one life.

Please do not miss the part after about 3 minutes in where it gets even more intense. Also THIS DRUMMER!!!!!!!!#$*&^$*%&$^#%

Mando

Post by Mando »

I will see your Mongolian stringed instrument and raise you one Mongolian rock band (The HU) complete with awesome Mongolian stringed instruments and awesome boots!

Theme of this video: Make Mongolia Great Again

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

My biggest regret about not going to ACL this year (besides losing $50 per ticket when I resold them)- not seeing the Hu. This is the band I was most excited for.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh yes, The HU always a pleasure! This is one of my favorites from BTS, obsession still a healthy and vigorous plant:

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Reel on a repeating loop
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

These lines always ring true, especially that things I do are (or at least seem to me) a cry for help but also a warning to stay away (so you don't get sucked in to my twisted broken psyche).

I
I am a lost soul
And I
I send out a sickened light
For anyone to see
A cry for help
'Yeah, a warning to stay away

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It is okay - sometimes it is like that. Remedy: impossible to listen to this for a few minutes without an infection of joy - if it doesn't hit right away, do not miss the portion of this starting about 3 minutes in where our trumpet soloist has what I suppose would be called a Cadenza? He goes completely wild and does things that seem impossible or at least highly unlikely - I don't play trumpet but even if I did, I don't think trumpeters do this sort of thing normally? It's astonishing!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Everything about this is amusing: the interrupting phone call, the piano, the obsessive smoker, the spontaneous dancing, and above all Tito Rodriguez drumming mostly with One Finger, plus stick or sticks occasionally as the spirit moves him - the whole thing seems so effortless and natural but then from the bird's eye view it's all complex and layered and somehow he's hearing all this and tossing in apparently random taps that make the whole thing fit. I started listening to him just for his velvety voice but there is so much more!

Mando

Post by Mando »

commuting on I-20 music:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This video is somewhat disturbing because her navel is leaking out some type of worm - probably thought of as "jewelry" but we can plainly see the worm coming out of the navel and it is not okay. Also I fear for her boobs because did they actually superglue or stitch the fabric to them? However, this is a really nicely sung version of this very good song that I may have posted a long time ago because the kids are making me hip to these new musics very early, but I don't remember if I posted this version and I want to be able to find it:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

After this has existed for months now, YouTube finally got around to presenting it to me in the suggestions list. I gaped at it, like that cartoon scene where the eyes pop out in double take, and pressed play. I don't want to get your hopes up - ultimately this is not as good as it might have been because boyfriend is trying to give us DLR in a button-down long-sleeved oxford and he never even takes it off. What kind of "tribute" to Diamond Dave is that, Mike Patton? You're either in this thing to win it or you're losing, and the presence of this shirt is a tragic loss.

MUSICALLY HOWEVER this is pure joy on every level and you can hear how much fun THEY are having and how much fun they must have had playing or singing along with Van Halen to arrive at this place and I am 100000% FOR IT!!!!!!!!! Incredible. Wonderful. Delights!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Help my face melted
Mando

Post by Mando »

So KEY has a release. Never heard of him before. If I were The Weeknd I would start looking for another job. KEY has the 80s vibe and a smooth voice that hits some very strong notes and he can dance. Did I mention he can dance? What a performance! It looks like he raids TAEMIN's wardrobe...which he might be doing since TAEMIN is now in the military. Oh and they were both part of SHINee...so of course they are great.

Like The Weeknd I can hear several 80s synth elements in the song but I cannot place them.
Can I get some help here?

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:47 pm Help my face melted
Yup. Apparently they went back and redid their original Mr. Bungle trio's mixtape, except with the drummer from Slayer and guitarist from Anthrax helping out and that worked very well indeed. The whole angry rabbit theme makes it feel like a personal anthem. All three of those Mr. Bungle guys are the mostest best.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mando wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:47 pm Like The Weeknd I can hear several 80s synth elements in the song but I cannot place them.
Can I get some help here?
I enjoy it - not BTS and you know, we are purists here, but I like being able to detect Korean words I understand at long last and the song offers a fairly amusing encapsulation of my feelings for Lee Min Ho. We don't want to feel like this, especially because he fixed his teeth and I liked his cute smile so much better pre-orthodontics. I'm afraid he did other plastic surgery things to his nose, too. We liked that nose just as it was, thank you. I can't be dragged into immorality and the most heinous possible forms of thought crime by a man who has had plastic surgery on his face! I won't accept it.

But you were asking about this song and its synthesizers! I would have to listen again but in the initial browse I definitely hear this:

Also what THEEEEE holy heck is going on in this video? Recommend listening without playing it on the screen - you don't want to be scarred mentally! What the heck are they doing to/with that poor cello?! Leave that cello alone you monsters! This is not my idea of a good time! Halp, scary! Seriously, these white face masks, OMG brrrr, so ugly! Also I think this whole thing is obscenity/pornography - you know how that judge once famously said he can't easily define it but knows it when he sees it? Well, I know it when I see it and this is it! I'm going to need at least two hours of cleansing Tundukkan Playboy Itu to work all this out. I had to revise this post like 58 times to spell the name of the show. Dementia, falling apart.