The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Mando

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by Mando »

Also almost every other ad is for BTS meals...
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mando wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:23 pm Also almost every other ad is for BTS meals...
I have partaken of the BTS meal. Partook of? Didst partake? The last time I did, they gave me an extra 20-piece nuggets for no reason whatsoever. I wonder if that song from red velvet is about our worldwide handsome Jin, since he was once said to date Irene? And it has been implied numerous times amongst his associates that he is devastating and merciless with the ladies - not the kind of trifling boyfriend you'd want for your sister, let's say, if you had one.

Anyway, I'm trying so hard to learn this and I've been listening to this guy with his wacky bow and baroque stuff - btw there is a town called Baroquen Bow. ☠️☠️☠️ I will let myself out now. Eliahad has given me one or maybe two lessons? And I am still working on those same lessons! I've been trying to memorize it to measures at a time! Trying to move my left hand like it has some life in it and can go up and down the string. In another year I will be ready for another lesson, lol!!!

Mando

Post by Mando »

I can't believe it's not butter!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Can't believe it either! I can't click on these rivals! I'm loyal and think only of J-Hope.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

New music from a longtime favorite!

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:56 pm Can't believe it either! I can't click on these rivals! I'm loyal and think only of J-Hope.
So... did you muster both days?

my kids both did.
Mando

Post by Mando »

TXT "Blue hour"

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Onto 1951

And listening to 1950. Often when I start listening to a new year I feel it's a huge step down from the previous year, only to really start liking them and thinking the dropoffs were tiny if there at all. But 1950 is the first were I feel there's improvement, is better than 1951, and has a few dozen songs I've really fallen for. Here's one that might not do well but I love... Teresa Brewer's "Music Music Music"

It's a Russian nesting doll of nostalgia. From the 1950, it's a throwback to the ragtime sounds of the early 20th century. But it also sounds like a song that wouldn't be out of place in a rock album from the 70s, as artists and producers loved to show off their versatility. Also reminds me of hearing player pianos as a kid and the occasional ragtime concert that'd blow me away. So, like, timeless nostalgia. And... this is actually a re-recording from the 60s, which itself is trading on the nostalgia of the original version.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mando wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:39 pm
Phoebe wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:56 pm Can't believe it either! I can't click on these rivals! I'm loyal and think only of J-Hope.
So... did you muster both days?

my kids both did.
I have/had? a concussion and was having trouble coping with life so unfortunately I just saw a few pictures and need to prepare a time to watch video. They're just SO great and have amassed such a body of work at this point. The photos were also disturbing because apparently Suga has been in the gym and doubled in size with all muscle over the past few months, while bleaching and growing his hair. I was, as they say, somewhat shook. He looks like, also as They Say, both a dumpling and a kitten. When he was small and like a baby in his 20s that information didn't mean much to me beyond the surface, but as he approaches older digits in age and doubles in bulk, these facts deserve reconsideration. I disgust myself, I am basically a dirty old man except not a man.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

So J-Hope put his version of chicken noodle soup on his solo mixtape, and then during the recent concert they did an OT7 version, with all members doing some of the rapping or singing parts, and then at the end each one does a little dance before Hobi's freestyle dance. I believe my dear j Hope is wearing some sort of chicken hat for this. There are some videos I don't think are legal and will eventually be taken down because you can't just rebroadcast it, but I stumbled across this one which really represents how I think the average BTS fan feels about what's happening on stage at this time. Since I am old and tired I'm like that girl just standing there in the back with her phone, but the other ones are giving voice to our actual inner feelings about it. Please keep in mind this is not some weird ailment that has only befallen me in a moment of weakness, but is a robust phenomenon being experienced by hundreds of millions of people simultaneously across our globe:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Current top 40, top 10, aiding and abetting and also undermining my life happiness during a period of driving around town.
Butter? Yes! Please?
Number one song but it hasn't reached the burbs here yet or the people here just don't love it. I have to tune into a station from another smaller town to occasionally hear it on the radio! Boo.

Olivia Rodrigo - two of these songs. One is kind of like Avril Lavigne meets Lorde. No like. The other is kind of like Billie eilish meets Lana del Rey. No like. Mishmash of crap with a whiny, wheedling singing voice on top. Inane lyrics.

Dua lipa is still levitating. We listen to this still because we like it, but it's no BTS and it's no Chic. That's ok.

Doja cat remakes Olivia Newton-John's Physical. It isn't an improvement. The song was already bad and laughable but at least had the merit of being laughable.

Peaches. My respect for numerous members of BTS has tanked due to their inexplicable appreciation for this s*** song. Has anyone helps them to understand how much Justin Bieber sucks? Why is this happening?

Leave the door open: this is the song we spend our days hoping will appear on the radio as we drive. Time stops, everything else stops except the driving, and we sing even though we can't sing because the singing is just too good on this track. We try anyway, trying with our utmost sporting effort to sing this perfect song, which is both hilarious and sincere. The man has filets. FILETS!

Save your tears: we liked the song until the hated one lent her voice to the track. Now we linger for a few seconds in horror wondering which version it might be. The life and joy is sucked from our body at the first sound of her tight, breathy, warbling howl.

Astronaut in the ocean. Had better hopes from the title but it turns out to be that ridiculous song. Ugh.

Montero: Yes to this man, I find him hilarious and pleasing, and I love a song that I can actually sing an octave above for a change. Who knew his voice was so deep?! Not a great song but it's a lot of fun.

Bad Bunny, Yonaguni. So far what I take from this is that a woman has a very large ass and he is going to put a tattoo of it on his face having achieved a graduate level understanding of the subject. I don't know what to make of that, folks. At some point later I ran across the video and it was actually quite good because he's just having a nice day with walking a very large number of dogs and doing some martial arts and painting, hanging out driving a little RC car - the sort of things you'd want to do on a nice day. Why can't the song be about these things? He has a very nasally drone. I'm shocked that Ariana Grande has not been put on another version of this track yet torture the world. Maybe she has and I just don't know.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Nice! I'm liking Olivia, for similar reasons as Dua Lipa, a nod to the past but modern too. Excitingly new but warmly familiar. It's what I'd probably push on my kids when they enter their teen years, like hey play this around me.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My phone, thanks to its constant and relentless spying on me, has offered up information relevant to my dismay over the members of BTS including Justin Bieber songs on their Spotify playlists. It turns out this might have nothing to do with their own musical tastes and everything to do with the fact that their company just bought the company that owns and manages Justin Bieber. Coincidentally they also own Ariana Grande now, but I think Jungkook was always a fan of hers, so I can't do much second guessing of his admiration for her songs.

This company which controls Bieber and Grande and other artists is ALSO the one Taylor Swift was feuding with because they bought control of her first six albums at the time she was trying to regain control of her work, and then they sold them to still another company while continuing to profit from future use of the work. And although I have only recently come around to being a fan of a few Taylor Swift songs, I'm quite confident I like and trust her as a person much more than the whole nest of snakes that have been feuding with her over these and related matters (same company was also working with Kanye West during his famous feuds picked with Taylor, regarding which my personal opinion is that Taylor is 100% right and correct about everything she says happened, while Kanye and Kim are a pair of self-aggrandizing assholes - the video Kanye then made with a Taylor-like actor was repulsive and proved who he was - what a shock that such a famous misogynist is so comfortable with his kindred spirits in maga-land.)

Back to the point: BTS is now standing to financially benefit from the things that hurt Taylor Swift financially and otherwise, and their company is benefiting her enemies who have demonstrated themselves to be total jerks. So that's kind of a problem, BTS! At that level it's probably all just about the money, but my understanding is that at least some of the members of BTS play a leadership role, so they're not just another set of artists swept up in forces beyond their control. Or maybe they are? Anyway, my jaded eye now casts a jaded glance upon all of this. I guess this is what you can expect when being a fan of artists who have this kind of global footprint. That level of success is not going to come without the complications of that much money, which usually means poor ethics.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I don't know what's going on in this life but apparently bad things have happened to Britney Spears and she is not happy about it. What a disturbing story. I'd like to know what kind of evidence can convince a judge to put an adult under that level of external control. Presumably we're not privy to whatever evidence that was, but none of her public behavior ever seemed all that weird to me.
It seems like whoever was responsible for controlling her public image at the height of her career shouldn't have had anything to do with controlling her well-being later in life.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

OOHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GOOOOOOOOOOODNESSSSSSSSSS

Bruno Mars is giving us a massive goosebumps situation here. I feel weak. I need a drink. Maybe a filet, I don't know, maybe just a drink.

Every person who sings in public should watch this video and LEARN how to do the job, and by every person I mean Ariana Grande and all the female voices BREATHING AT ME on the radio whose origins remain mysterious but who NEED to watch BRUNO MARS and the other guy is also incredible, fabulous, and everything, but Bruno Mars was the one bringing the goosebumps, the first BLAST of which hits after 2 minutes in:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Is this how older people felt when Boyz II Men came on the scene, like, hey it's the music of my youth and people love it!

Boyz had beats so maybe not.

Also I'm beginning to think they don't have another song ;-)
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

We must be patient! I seems like they got together and came up with this, maybe for humor, but it turned out to be the best song in the world. So now they had to quick get in that studio and finish an album! I love BTS but Leave the Door open clearly IS the best song out there for miles around, whether recognized as such or not.

RE: Astronaut in the ocean. Turns out it's not bad if one keeps listening. My kid is deep into the cello literature so I don't have much chance to listen to anything else at the moment unless driving.
Mando

Post by Mando »

WAyV - Action Figure
~~~~~I'm an action figu----uure~~~~

This song's so easy to sing along with!!!!

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

As the kids say here, that kind of slaps, but the only way we're going to get music that's not better is by waiting until later tonight when BTS Permission to Dance comes out!

My dog just came up to me and licked the outside of my glass and I'm trying to contemplate whether I care enough or whether he could have touched anything on the far side of the glass to affect the drink. Monstrous. But YouTube has everything we need for moments like these:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The new song is so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're clearly on a mission to take over the US, given that they are edging into something that any crossover country star or shiny pop singer could have done here, and I for one welcome our new pop overlords. For those of you less familiar with the BTS oeuvre let me just say it starts like this and ends in a very different place. Kind of like how Lady Gaga started with a poppy dance song or two (Just Dance, Poker Face) and next thing you know it was piano ballads, country songs, songbook standards, and who knows what. With these guys it starts with a poppy dance track and soon becomes modern art, international politics, the history of rap, human psychology, Korean regional dialects, and you, sitting there, guzzling down Sauvignon Blanc while weeping outright over the beauty of J-Hope's soul and the miracle that Jin was born looking like a baby alpaca stuffed animal and has stayed that way until he's old enough to, well, observe.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:37 pm The new song is so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're clearly on a mission to take over the US, given that they are edging into something that any crossover country star or shiny pop singer could have done here, and I for one welcome our new pop overlords. For those of you less familiar with the BTS oeuvre let me just say it starts like this and ends in a very different place. Kind of like how Lady Gaga started with a poppy dance song or two (Just Dance, Poker Face) and next thing you know it was piano ballads, country songs, songbook standards, and who knows what. With these guys it starts with a poppy dance track and soon becomes modern art, international politics, the history of rap, human psychology, Korean regional dialects, and you, sitting there, guzzling down Sauvignon Blanc while weeping outright over the beauty of J-Hope's soul and the miracle that Jin was born looking like a baby alpaca stuffed animal and has stayed that way until he's old enough to, well, observe.
RM is my bias...

and here's some WayV

Last edited by Mando on Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I feel like K-pop and the American boy bands of old are equally poppy but the K-pop bands have better choreography and dancing.
Mando

Post by Mando »

I made my kids who love kpop watch some backstreet boys...I came to the same conclusion...also less bad behavior from most Kpop bands due to the control the label has over them
Stan

Post by Stan »

Mando wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:53 pm also less bad behavior from most Kpop bands due to the control the label has over them
Either that or boy bands are all androids and the software has been improved over time.
Mando

Post by Mando »

You might be onto something.

TAEMIN moves too precisely and quickly to be entirely human. Perhaps he is a cyborg

My evidence:

background to the song:
Taemin has suffered a lot of criticism whether it is because they said he was fat (unbelievable) or that he looks too feminine (oh please!) but he has weathered it all and remained true to himself and is known far and wide as the ultimate dancer in K-Pop due in part to being in it for 14 of his 28 years. So here is his reply to all the critics in the form of a song and dance.

When he shows up with a tatted midriff wearing a crop top and hair extensions....he cannot be boxed in.
He is now doing his mandatory 2 year service in the Korean military.

Here is the live stage performance of the same song. Also in 4K

Am I a TAEMIN fanboy...mmm, lilbit.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Stan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:56 am I feel like K-pop and the American boy bands of old are equally poppy but the K-pop bands have better choreography and dancing.
If by "kpop" you mean groups that are Not BTS, then we can still be friends.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Stan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:02 pm Either that or boy bands are all androids and the software has been improved over time.
I don't know what to do with this because on the one hand, I like androids of all kinds, especially when the software is getting better, but on the other hand I feel like this could be some kind of backhanded non-compliment to BTS. What to do, what to do. Puzzles!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mando wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:40 pm You might be onto something.

TAEMIN moves too precisely and quickly to be entirely human. Perhaps he is a cyborg
I'm not sure what to do with this one either. I like cyborgs, especially dancing ones, but this guy simply does not do it for me in any way. There's no accounting for taste but this man is no Jung Hoseok and it doesn't matter how many years he's been practicing, because when you're not J-Hope you're not J-Hope and that's the end of it. I'm just going to put this here so we understand the situation:

I don't understand in the slightest way why people watch pornography. On the other hand, after you (heterosexual lady, gay man, etc) see that part with the black silk pajamas, what else could you possibly need? I tried to remind myself this man could be my child in terms of age and I'm probably one and a half times his size.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

1950 the people have done a good job culling the songs as these are all pretty great

Mando

Post by Mando »

Probably my favorite patriotic song from the last century

Belated July 4th !

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Nice! I love it!
Monday has been going very much more like a Monday than usual. From dealing with teenagers having emotional breakdowns - not even my teenagers! - to having construction workers in the house, to the urgent dental care for child, to dealing with my own teenagers' inability to clean a house or car appropriately, to the casual use of a curved plastic comb to save a dog from choking to death in the emergency room parking lot (Good news: No need to pay for emergency vet!), to the temporary acquisition of yet another dog which makes a grand total of approximately 3 more dogs than our house requires (see teenagers having emotional breakdowns above), to navigating the real estate market, planning a trip for 30 people to another state, planning a banquet for 30 people in another town, and preparing for two straight days of work meetings starting tomorrow, I am done with Monday. I have made a gochujang marinade for supper, I have prepared hot dogs for lunch, and with my hot dog I am drinking red wine out of a large red glass antique goblet.

What is the soundtrack for this? Well it was in fact the next song YouTube saw fit to give me after Johnny Cash and his tattered flag:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I tried so hard to drink. Instead, I moved a bunch of furniture, walked a dog, took a nap, and then found myself with a fever and sore throat. 😡
There is no rest for the wicked, truly: I was forced to wake up and have a cough drop just so I can lay here, and since I woke up this terrible song has been in my mind. I don't find this twee or amusing, brain. 😡

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Something deeply disturbing has occurred:
BTS was on Jimmy Kimmel and it was nice, and Jin looked as nutritious and delicious as ever, but I was not especially dazzled. I enjoyed their performance but was not fangirling or unable to breathe. Well, that's the very thing: I have been sick and my whole head is like a painful cement block, and apparently viewing BTS through the lens of a miserable cold renders them ... OK. They were fine. Nice! Good. I love Hobi. But did my soul thrill immensely with every passing second? Not really.

Maybe - and I don't want to get wild and irrational here, but maybe - I will listen to other music again sometimes beyond the occasional songs here and there. I hate to say this but the Roots (who are the band on Kimmel's show) planted James Brown in my mind at the end of the episode and it has stayed there ever since with no BTS, because (shhh) it is objectively far, far better:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Listening to Olivia Rodrigo, I'm kinda hit that over the last 5 years I have made a successful effort to really expand my palette beyond the indie rock that I was deep in for over a decade. But now we're at this point where I'm loving the new era of woman singer songwriters, Taylor, Lorde, Eilish, but also more than ever these hit makers are making stuff that really fits within indie rock dynamics, and especially Rodrigo -- her first three singles were top 10 hits and most of them have at least a big of indie rock within it, like say the brief guitar distortion bridge in Deja Vu, and of course the rock pop of "good 4 u" (btw, I wrote and recorded a song "good for you" over a decade ago with a very similar outlook about an ex). And then you got the opener which is blistering!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I think of your music taste as so expansive, it surprises me that it wasn't always just this way! I'm not sure what to make of this Olivia Rodrigo yet - her songs remind me of groups like Veruca Salt, but I don't know if that's because she's writing songs like this or if that's the niche that was decided upon for her to occupy. Maybe I'm too old for the 17-year-old angst music which sounds like it was written by someone age 37, idk. My angsty 17-year-old was listening to other things, like the Strokes (??), ABBA and Boney M, Queen... She has so much "recent indie type music" it all sounds like a giant mush of the same thing to me - but I bet you would love it! This is a typical example:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Ooooh, this sounds cool and depressing... awesome! :-)
Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

and here is a BTS connection (SUGA) that I was not expecting:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

1950s final featuring two songs that are fan favorites more than critical darlings

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The Blueberry video is so nice except for the critical scene where they Bathe in a tub of innocent blueberries. Let's hope they were fully ensconced in Saran wrap and it was a clean tub, so they could rescue the blueberries after the shoot?

Anyway, yet another one from the magnificent Seven. I have concerns: The merger of Scooter Braun's (The enemy of Taylor Swift) company with Bighit was a huge move, apparently facilitated in part by his duplicitous effort to impress the South Korean chairman that he was a tremendous family man. All through this time that the deal was being worked up and announced he has been posting loving notes to/about his wife on Instagram, and now just a few days later he filed for divorce from her. I dislike the idea of this creepy man having anything to do with BTS or my purchases and streaming of their music having anything to do with lining his pockets. Ugh!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Honestly was convinced they didn't have any more songs and the album was a ruse, so this was a pleasant surprise.

As for quality, love the mood, but this didn't immediately hit and hook on listen #1 like their debut, but that happens so rarely if ever. I think part of that original listen magic was "Leave the Door Open" was fricken funny! Comedy hits quicker. This didn't have any lol moments, so judging how much me or everyone will like it is harder. We'll see though...
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Moving ahead to 1958, the first year where I'm satisfying the original conceit of my project, to re-reward old awards.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Knee surgery for me tomorrow! yay.....maybe I'll get some cybernetic knee or something. what I need is some new meniscus material

Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Hope the surgery goes well!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This song has been in my mind for days because we were trying to explain to my daughter how it is THE SAME SONG as one of Cake's later songs, but we don't care because Zeppelin borrows all their songs usually without credit to the originators, so whatever. Also it's an explicitly racist song, but we know this. I don't know what to do with that information because it's too late to benefit me and honestly, as a child, I struggled to understand W.T.F. this song along with dozens of other Led Zeppelin songs meant, since they were my favorite band for all of young life. I was a virgin, for a long time, you see? I didn't know that this wasn't it. In my old age I prefer to watch this little girl's version, which is unfortunate because the best thing about Zeppelin is John Bonham. But never mind, you know what he sounds like - she isn't getting much sound out of the bass drum, comparatively, but who am I to complain? By next year (which I guess means now) her version will be the better one. But I still think John Bonham is the best drummer. Though Danny Carey is a great drummer and many jazz drummers are great and probably possess more versatility than I'm aware of, I have to go on what I've heard and what I've heard says Bonham is the best and no one has come very close to surpassing him - it's that combo of being rooted in jazz and being a rock drumming beast and nobody else can put the two parts together. Well, except this girl someday I guess:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mando wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:13 am Knee surgery for me tomorrow! yay.....maybe I'll get some cybernetic knee or something. what I need is some new meniscus material
How did it go?? Did you get new materials? Are you closer to being a bot? Concerned that people may drift off and die after their surgeries without us knowing!

I need new meniscus material as well - I tore mine in the most stupid little way, no good reason, and ever since it has hurt and been leaking fluid into the bursa/around the bursa/something bad with fluid sacs. The fluid sacs ebb and flow but are excruciating when "full". The torn meniscus itself ain't no great shakes but I figure I can hang on for a while, as weightlifting has helped restore lots of stable muscle around the knee areas.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My kids now listen to video game and anime soundtracks, but they're actually kinda good. It's stuff like this, day in and day out: