The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

poorpete

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by poorpete »

In the first four tourneys no women artists have won, none even reached the semifinals.

This year two reached the semifinals, and one has reached the finals, and that one is KNOCK ON WOOD doing well!!!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It's just an awesome song. I can see why the other song is liked, but you know. I have nothing helpful to add here, just on the usual BTS binge. Current track: Life Goes On.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Morning drive to school was afflicted with that driver's license song on multiple channels, and now maybe she has a new song, or another person like her has a similar sounding song? It's all so insipid and horrid! Ughhhh!

To escape my best option was ... Journey!
So now I'm on this, wondering why 12-year-old me ever thought the costumes worn on Star Trek were ridiculous even for Those Times?
Look at what else those years wrought:

It's not a simple matter of costumes: The bad hair in this video is epic. Mind-blowingly epic. It turns otherwise "normal" ? men into a strange reenactment of a fancy dog show.
However, this guy can SING. He was singing. I'm having the feelings about it and I don't even like any Bay area City. Well I mean I guess if we picked a totally different body of water, maybe.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:39 pm So.... for BTS fans there was a thing very early this morning (Korea time being nearly opposite) called BANG BANG CON, which was an 8-hour long online concert. I woke up for water in the wee hours of the morning and thought maybe I would watch about an hour of it, but fell asleep and luckily woke up again really early this morning so I was able to catch the last few hours, including the entire stadium concert from Brazil. However, it was on the whole time while I slept, so I dreamed typical images that went with its soundtrack. It was quite an experience. First you think it's catchy music, then you think it's extremely versatile awesome music, then you think it's profound music, and then you Wake up one day and find you have joined a cult with all the normal cult things: seven extremely charismatic leaders, group chanting, rituals, overwhelming waves of joy and random emotional bonding experiences with much crying. This sounds crazy but ask any ARMY; this is how it is. So far the cult does not make many demands on the members, so it's working out okay. Mostly I was able to get other work done while this concert went on, because I don't have to actually watch them every second, but as it got closer to the end I had to sit down and then basically 2 million people around the globe were all sobbing together at about 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. EST today, I kid you not. I forget what the peak listenership was but it was even higher. That's just what it was when I noticed there were 2 million people all watching and crying together, which is kind of wild when you think about it.

Anyway, after that I had to listen to something else and luckily the earth is exploding with lovely things these days, so I'm not stuck listening only to BTS:
My daughter got up early for that...stopped about 6 sine she was tired. She usually watches the concerts, etc..as well ass BTS RUN
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I have watched run BTS and they are quite charming. It's actually very amusing. Apparently there are lots of new ones though, and I haven't seen those.
They have a new song coming out in a couple weeks called Butter, and their fan army is literally already making lists of targets for sales and streaming and clicks and watches and all kinds of stuff. They are organizing themselves so that everybody will pre-order and pre-purchase and have it all set up to stream it all day long on the day that it's released. This is why they have so many number ones and are dominating every chart. They always say that their success is largely owed to the fanatical devotees in army and it's no joke! Some of these people have been with them several years now and ... it's indescribable. They live eat breathe and sleep BTS.
My middle child apparently has friends who are into BTS and so she knows something of them, and has encountered army members in her wanderings on the internet. She thinks army is super annoying for the most part, and thus although she likes the BTS music she has no interest in following them as a fan.
However, I know she takes more than a passing interest in the group because one day I was remarking that it was a simply objective factual matter that Jin was the best-looking man born onto the earth, and therefore by definition he was the best-looking one in BTS even though personally I prefer J-Hope because, you know, he is my hope. And being the objectively best looking doesn't necessarily mean being the most attractive to any one particular person.
Well! My kid was absolutely outraged by this! Of course he was not the best looking one in BTS and what did I know about it anyway? Quite a lot! It's a matter of objective truth! Look at the man! And yet she insisted that he was only perhaps number three or four! What does this mean? This means she's got a ranking of some kind of the good-looking ones. I have to look for clues in this way. I'm pretty sure she has a boyfriend because I always see her with the same kid after school. Then they quickly part ways. You would never suspect from their interactions that they are even friends but that's how she is, grim and serious. She extracted the full introvert package from any of her forebears who had those tendencies.
Anyway, this is one I hadn't really taken much note of before, but recently I've been giving it another look and it's actually quite good. I don't know why they call these things come back videos as if they went away and then came back - usually a comeback implies a longer absence does it not? But this is an interesting video for hearing the call and response with their fans.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

This lovely performance makes me annoyed again she didn't with the Best Album Grammy. The use of a tape deck <chef's kiss>

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

She is delightful!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Current ear waves: Vivaldi violin duet in A, the tiny prereleased sample of butter, and Save your tears by the Weeknd. I was never a great fan of his before, But the song and the blinding lights song really show off his fabulous voice. I am distracted by trying to remember which '80s song this one is ripping off. Blinded by the lights is A-ha, and the little synthesizer filler at the end of the phrase in Save your tears, da da da da da, is direct lifted from another 80s song I can vividly imagine playing in my mind but can't pin down the name of. Frustrating. Anyway, fine, give us new and improved '80s type pop, please. The vocals are impressive. I wish BTS would hurry and give us this new single and, presumably, another album. Personally, I love the songs in Korean and it gives me an occasion to try to learn some Korean, But it's probably a good move for them to have an all English language album and maybe even to remake a few of their most famous songs with mostly/more English lyrics to put on such an album. I need the distraction from Epic games v. Apple as they keep revealing media pictures of my imaginary baby koala boyfriend in a nice suit. Do not worry, my husband long since has indicated he will marry Mackenzie Bezos or whatever her name is? He will not be lonely and she'll probably have a greater desire to go to restaurants and pay for maid services, so they'll be happy. I by contrast just want my fancy boyfriend to keep buying up forests. I need nothing else. Ok, not nothing: maybe fresh berries and that's not a cheap habit, folks. The point is, this week my glorious boyfriend testified in court and it's more input than I can process. He is so right about everything. Both right and cute, a devastating combo, like Robin Hood if he wasn't played by Daffy Duck but instead one of the Wonderpets.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Looooove this:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I think I hear this every time I drive, and normally I like to sing along to the good songs while driving but this song is way too difficult to sing so I end up making strange bleating sounds and a lot of extremely energetic hand gestures. Everything about the song is perfection, a tour of everything you love about 1970s R&B, and it's hilarious. This is how all men should be. I mean the ones who are not Tim Sweeney and thus have to offer something extra. It should be the anthem of sexual ethics taught in every middle school health class. The man, announcing himself: here I am in my clean house, with the promise of either swimming or bathing, and I have filets. Filets! Are they walleye fillets? Salmon? I'm not picky, guy, you had me at "house clean" and it just kept getting better from there. He will leave the door open and hope that you come in. This is not an aggressor, a creeper, some offensive monster. No! This man is hanging out in his bathtub with a filet. You can either join him like a sensible person or not. Why is this so difficult for people to understand, that this is the way of seduction? The ethical way I mean. Anyway the singing is just beyond good:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ariana Grande has a new song and it might be the most hated song of hers so far. I can't make it through the whole thing without clicking away desperately, so I can't be sure of this, but I don't think she actually "sings" any note in the song. It's just a series of exhales and squeaks, so much worse than nails on a chalkboard.

As a purgative I have had to listen to somebody who's entire body is a voice:
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is not really a music recommendation so much as I have been momentarily derailed and probably slightly scarred by this viewing experience. They say Nintendo is going to come out with a big update to Animal Crossing soon; apparently the natives were getting very restless about the lack of new content. As you see they have been making their own special content.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Experiment and results to date:
Child 1, raised with significant early life exposure to classical music.
Child 1 favorite music: classical and what can only be described as hipster gen z alternative emo type pop?
Considers BTS good but not great.
Child 2, raised with significant early life exposure to blues and R&B.
Child 2 preferred music: 70s 80s 90s straightforward hard rock. Rush, AC/DC, Metallica, RHCP, Foo Fighters, Zeppelin, etc.
BTS: cringe.
Child 3, raised with significant early exposure to jazz.
Child three favorite music: rap, women pop stars e.g. Dua Lipa, Lizzo, Japanese pop (women singers only), video game soundtracks, classical music.
BTS: sent straight from hell, intolerable for listening.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I was really liking that Save Your Tears song by the Weeknd despite the robbery of some 80s song I can't put my finger on in title, and then he made a remix with Ariana Grande and now they are both dead to me. Ughhhhhhhhjhksdjkncjfkdokdjdnd!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Eventually I was able to depart the "drop off line" and the radio presented me with this gift to purge the breathy evil! I tried but my imagination was not equal to putting the song into Tim Sweeney's soft baby koala voice. We must imagine I am the singer, I suppose, in a throaty contralto. But then I was like, well, I'm not giving you "whatever", Tim, no matter how cute your face may be. No matter what Teen Vogue says, mouths may be delightfully multi-functional but the rest of the digestive system is exclusively for digestion. I hate these uncomfortable foundational fissures in the life of imagination. Instead I will think about what it was like in the former time when I ate donuts sometimes.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

My projects going well, but sometimes I run into blindspots -- and lately it's been Yma Sumac, who missed out on a few nominations because she would release acclaimed albums internationally, but less so singles. But I had figured that albums weren't really a popular thing in the early 50s, which I was right and wrong about, so I missed someone who I've grown to really like. Here's her version of Babalu, which is lots of fun (I also like the guy yelping in the background). She'll be facing "Singing in the Rain" in the tourney, so dunno if this is where she exits or if she will keep bulldozing the competition.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Do you have a link to your current bracket? The whole thing is very interesting!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Playlist

Here's who remains:

I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive (Hank Williams)
Happy Trails (Roy Rogers & Dale Evans)
Babalu (Yma Sumac)
Singin' in the Rain (Gene Kelly)
Have Mercy, Baby (Billy Ward & The Dominoes)
Baby, Don't Do It (The "5" Royales)
You Belong to Me (Jo Stafford)
Blue Moon (Billie Holiday)
Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Lloyd Price)
The Train Kept A-Rollin (Tiny Bradshaw)
Walking the Boogie (John Lee Hooker)
5-10-15 Hours (Ruth Brown)
It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels (Kitty Wells)
In the Pines (Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys)
Four in One (Thelonious Monk)
4'33" (John Cage)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Surprisingly Lloyd Price, who was a favorite coming in, and who died just last week, is behind in his match. Did not expect that!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I love the Kitty Wells song! Clapback!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Right!? One of two answer songs so far that beat the original, demolishing "Wild Side of Life" -- the other being Muddy Waters' "Mannish Boy" which defeated Bo Diddley's "I'm a Man."

And a feminist anthem from the early 50s that was embraced by country fans, a welcome surprise!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Alsoxruth brown.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Been loving Ruth Brown! This came a year after The Dominos had their big hit "Sixty Minute Man" and feels like Ruth is like nonono, more like a 300 to 900 minutes, please
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Well I MEAN she did not break it down by minute and there are limits. Maybe she is made of stronger fabrics, I do not know.

Anyway, I meant to add this because it was playing on the radio and in that manner crept into the rest of the morning. I recall seeing this video in a hazy way but then again, not at all?? What the hell are they doing shoplifting from the produce section? That is just not what I envisioned after hearing the lyrics. However, the grocery aisle dance party looks like what I envision the grocery store SHOULD be post-pandemic, and I am that woman with the scarf around her neck and she is, hopefully, my future life.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Figure I'll publish this first because I figure we're all gonna talk about it

My first reaction, he says "robber" but sounds like "rubber" which I'm like "oh boy new direction -- talking about rubbers in a song about butter" but no
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Well, BTS has gifted the world another fizzy pop song like Dynamite, borrowing that baseline from Queen. I am basically deceased. The person you see there saying the word robber in a way that sounds a hell of a lot like rubber is Mr. Worldwide Handsome Seokjin / JIN. I had to gather myself repeatedly in the last hour. I will give you my take on how this song came to be, which will explain why a reference that only 50-year-old women would recognize is the most sexually explicit part of this song.

It appears that this time the songwriting team said something like: All of the junior high girls think that Jungkook and V are gorgeous, and all the millennials think Jimin is hot, but that's not enough for us to have a smash pop hit in the US with our second all English lyrics song. No! We need everybody to love this song and download it and push it to number one. We are going to need to write a song that is directly designed to appeal to the mid-century modern women who listen to the radio and pay for their kids' Spotify and pay to download the songs and recognize better perhaps than any others on earth that Jin is - 100% Objectively Speaking, mind you - the best-looking man that has ever moved across the surface of the Earth. After all, when we have come to the US over the last several years, we noticed a strange phenomenon of women having complete mental breakdowns and needing to know who the third guy from the left is (Jin).

These US women are unaccustomed to politeness in their male pop idols, so here's what we will do: we will shock them early on by having one of the young ones attribute his good looks to his mother. Yes, mom, recall that you were once good looking enough to be responsible for such things! Then we're going to let you know Mr. Worldwide Handsome himself is well aware of the effect he has on you, so we will write the rest of the song (and video) such that he can communicate his powers to you both through angelic singing and by playing with some sunglasses and a party popper. If you're one of the heterosexual ladies cruelly and directly targeted by this assault (and yes the criminal theme in the video makes absolute sense in context because they know you feel much like a criminal for thinking the thoughts you are now thinking about a 29-year-old man) it's probably best that you figure out how to use Spotify and get your phone hooked up to the car so that you can listen to it without having to look at these threatening images.

I think they had to put the other people in the video just so we could recover between the encounters with Jin (let me add that he is wearing a skirt and see-through blouse under his manly t-shirt and jeans near the end of the video where he is laying there in that come-hither pose, blowing at us suggestively). It's breakfast time and I'm eating my Cheerios and it's supposed to be a very uninterruptive, tame experience. I would eat this entire man; I would eat him just like a piece of toast.

In case you find this strange or you think I'm just making this up because I'm some sort of criminal pervert (possible at this point the man is 29 he is an absolute infant), Jin has for the last several years had a whole series for his fans called Eat Jin where we watch him eat and enjoy food. He is a champion eater and he knows that at some point the middle aged woman has to divert her sexual energy into cooking for others. This is the way of the universe, I didn't set it up like this. Yes I would cook for this man. And then I would eat him - and I want you to understand that it doesn't make any sense to call the show Eat Jin unless that's what he wants us to do! The show isn't called Jin Eats for a reason! It is not an accident that the BTS live that preceded the countdown to the new video features Jin eating toast prepared by the other members, and he introduces himself as EAT JIN. You think I'm kidding but if I have a heart attack or stroke today it's going to be someone else's fault:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Just up top, that the Queen bass line was inspired by Good Times therefore all credit goes back to Nile Rogers/Bernard Edwards/Chic. But otherwise, a classic post! Honest and hilarious 10/10
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

In my defense a cursory examination of the relevant JIN-related hashtags indicates this is hardly an original idea or idiosyncratic cannibalistic taste on my part. This entire presentation is designed to make us wish to eat the man. I'm telling you. You will be shocked to discover how many women have expressed this direct sentiment: e.g. "I have chosen to eat Jin". Yes, sister, I understand.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

If they win their match..

Singin' in the Rain will the the first traditional pop song finalist
Baby, Don't Do It will be the first Doo-Wop finalist
Honky Tonk Angels will be the 2nd country song & 2nd woman finalist
Lawdy Miss Clawdy will be a nice tribute to Lloyd Price who passed away this month. So far, a leading Rock and Roll song has won all these competitions, and I'm ready for a change, but at the same time, the song is great and wouldn't mind if he won...

4'33'' ended up in round of 16 after defeating 4 other songs. Not bad for silence!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

If my husband properly understood the causal chain behind the things that have happened to him on this fine day he would say a lot less negative things about BTS.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Have recovered my wits sufficiently to observe J-Hope has this big butter-colored hair in the video, sticking straight up so we can see his forehead. There are entire web pages and blogs and corners of the internet devoted solely to J-Hope's forehead. In honor of my chaste and appropriate love for JHope's forehead, and because there's only so many times you can listen to a single song in a day, I am achieving some variety with this one I had overlooked for the most part in the past. J-Hope parts good! Jin parts good!!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Aside, this is blowing up for all the right reasons.

When I was a teen I saw a kid hanging out in the cafeteria with a guitar, and I remember him being big into Nirvana once, I asked him if he could play any and he said he didn't like them anymore because it was too easy to play. I'm reminded from above how off his opinion was. Listen and understand how "easy" music can be so important.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Was NOT expecting that huge deep voice!! What a delightful little assembly that was. I think we need more girl bands making loud music these days. But instead I will give you the opposite because this is the music I've been listening to today:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I was never much of a Taylor Swift fan until her most recent pair of albums, which coincided with this project to re-record and re-release all her old ones as a method of preventing the predatory types who own them from profiting off her work. I like the whole plan you know. So I thought maybe I should give them a re-listen and it turns out they're not as bad as I used to think. This song used to bug me because I didn't like the concept or lyrics (i.e. the problem is never the other girl, and girls who think the problem is competition from the other girl are themselves always the problem) but now that she's singing it in her thirties I can put that space between her and the lyrics and decide to put it in a nicer light. It sounds really nice on the car stereo so somebody was doing work on this rerecording! My sense from hearing just a few songs is that the instrumental tracks are much improved from her choices now made in hindsight.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

It was iffy for a bit but in the end the Twitter voters did the right thing

First country song, second by a woman. Singing in the Rain ended up in third which is the best performance for a traditional pop song. "Baby, Don't Do It" was an underdog I'd normally support but the "bread without no meat" line I still feel is kinda awkward.

Anyways onto 1951! This Land is Your Land, 60 Minute Man, Unforgettable... coming June 2021 :-)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Here's a fun mix of the top 4 songs of each year so far. The success of two women leading off the mix is slightly tempered by the fact there's only one other song by a woman in the 24. A 12.75% rate. But improving! Two months ago it was 0 out of 16.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am loving that the honky tonk angels song was victorious in your contest!!! Justice!

Back to the BTS problem/obsession: J-Hope featured here with full platinum hair styled to reveal the full forehead and eyebrow situation. These people need to stop; it's not right. We did discover that my middle child's "bias" is Jungkook just as I suspected. These live shows make the old lady viewer feel like a criminal and pervert but what are we supposed to do? Show me men of my age who act anything like this and then we can discuss:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

On the one hand I can understand that this is somewhat ridiculous, but on the other hand I love it shamelessly and cannot cope. This particular video will make it 100% clear to you why J-HOPE IS MY FAVORITE PERSON AND SPIRITUAL TWIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mando

Post by Mando »

I have to admire your BTS devotion. It has all the hallmarks of Army material. I have one Army kid and one NCitizen.

I personally find TAEMIN to be probably the best dancer in all of K-Pop. He is 28, but has been an idol since he was 14. He is now going into compulsory military service but will be back in the business in 2 years. His sort of farewell video is "ADVICE" and just to scratch the surface he has survived a lot of bullying in and out of K-Pop. His resilience has transformed him and his adversities have fueled him.

For your consideration I give you "ADVICE" by TAEMIN

note: his moves are so solid and fast with no wavering that I had to check my youtube settings to make sure they were on normal speed.

For an example look at the 0:36 and 1:12 marks.

Mando

Post by Mando »

This is the same song with a 4K video that is somewhat different. The 1:11 mark will show some amazing coordination. This whole video is hypnotic to me.
Did I mention that "ADVICE" is a song that tells off the people who put him down all his life? Well, now I did. :mrgreen:

TAEMIN fans are called "TAEMINTS"

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 pm This is not really a music recommendation so much as I have been momentarily derailed and probably slightly scarred by this viewing experience. They say Nintendo is going to come out with a big update to Animal Crossing soon; apparently the natives were getting very restless about the lack of new content. As you see they have been making their own special content.

Clay K Slider on Spotify will meet all your KK Slider music needs

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Quality material here. Unfortunately my k-pop obsessions extend only as far as BTS, so I am unable to appreciate a dancer who is not J-Hope or one of the other J's or T's from that group. If I had to pick a girl group it would be Mamamoo, possibly because the name is hilarious to me and possibly because I think Hwasa is the s***, but I don't really like their music. One of the genius things about BTS is that they mix different genres - as we ARMY like to say (and yes I am an official one), BTS is the genre - and manage to take a little bit of the best from each one. The overall quality of the music is excellent. My family disagrees with me very much on this point and even appear slightly resentful that I am learning Korean. I have always wanted to learn Korean and now I am doing it. The alphabet is the most sensible and rational and soothingly logical thing I have encountered for a long time. It is so fun to learn.

Anyway, isn't this about music? The people are playing AC/DC TNT on the giant blasting speaker, which is an improvement. But I am on a powerful kick of Beethoven sonatas:

Mando

Post by Mando »

A little Kpop smorgasbord...SuperM

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Nice video for this one - the creature with the flag I mean, strolling along there. The previous one, well, I don't want to be closed minded in my adulation but BTS is the genre and probably it should not be attempted by lesser aspirants! Which reminds me I haven't yet seen the good stuff today (and by good I mean 2:42 and yes I realize it's a shameful and brazen attitude on my part, the only solace for which is that I am far from alone even among the ladies of my age):

Mando

Post by Mando »

PSYCHOSALAD!

Uh-huh-huh!

Mando

Post by Mando »

poorpete