Deathless

Tahlvin

Re: Deathless

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #12:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Great. Now I'm getting the Cold Tahlvin treatment. This is bullshit. I'm banning Mike.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Aw, don't feel bad Kyle. Here, I'll dedicate this one to you. You probably had one of those mesh shirts to show off your hunk-bod.
1992 #13:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Tahlvin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:10 pm Aw, don't feel bad Kyle. Here, I'll dedicate this one to you. You probably had one of those mesh shirts to show off your hunk-bod.
1992 #13:
I loved this song so much. I knew it was dance trash and that's why I loved it, even though I was in the middle of my grunge times.

I remember Phoebe's husband and I driving to a party in college and this song came on. And we cranked it up and were dancing and singing along like idiots. We were having so much fun, we didn't realize when we stopped at a red light that the people in the car (also college students) were staring at us. We looked over, made eye contact, and the guy in the passenger's window just shakes his head in disgust. It was enough that we both froze for a second.

Now if we were cool, we would have shaken off the moment and gone right back to dancing in the car and singing to the trash song. But we didn't. Instead we hung our heads in shame and silence and awkwardly waited until the light turned green.

Although now that I think about it, this story may have just happened to him and he told me about it. Because this very thing also happened to me in a Burger King drive thru while I was jamming to Rage Against the Machine (Bulls on Parade) in my mini van. I got to the window for my food, I saw a 17 year old kid holding it- he looked up and down my minivan- then shook his head in disgust and just held out my food for me.

And yeah. I wasn't cool. I turned the music down and awkwardly took my food like a shamed fool.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #14:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Not one of my favorites from MJ.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike is the one who said he was living with Kyle and Phoebe's husband, as if we were in some kind of three-way marriage and then ejected one of us to live with Mike. And nobody even thought of that as unusual.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:48 pm Mike is the one who said he was living with Kyle and Phoebe's husband, as if we were in some kind of three-way marriage and then ejected one of us to live with Mike. And nobody even thought of that as unusual.
MIke wasn't really living there. He was just paying rent while I was living there for free.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I also don't believe your story about my husband at all - that must have been some other guy because if there is one thing my husband lacks it is shame. You know this is true, Search your heart Luke and all that. He would be more likely to blow them a kiss or show them his entire ass.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:56 pm I also don't believe your story about my husband at all - that must have been some other guy because if there is one thing my husband lacks it is shame. You know this is true, Search your heart Luke and all that. He would be more likely to blow them a kiss or show them his entire ass.
Your thinking of Peter. In those days, your husband was still developing his shamelessness.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #15, business in front and party in back:
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Tahlvin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:52 pm 1992 #15, business in front and party in back:
Oh my husband had that achieved long before 92.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Oh, Lil Nas X is younger than that song.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Kyle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:00 pm Your thinking of Peter. In those days, your husband was still developing his shamelessness.
I find it hard to believe lack of shame had to develop at any point since I have first known him. However, I will investigate you're story later with a direct witness. At the moment I need to figure this out: I'm trapped here in the car in a long line of cars. My child entered the car and immediately announced, "it's time to be scared by animatronics!"
"What?!" I said.
"I'm serious", he replied.
"So am I!" I said.
"THUMBS UP!" he said and I'm still lost except he says it's Five Nights at Freddie's. W. T. H help me.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #16, watch your eardrums again:
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Oh that one guy in the crowd in the beginning that wanted to start a clap along, and no one was having it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 pm I will investigate you're story later with a direct witness.
Here I am!

Your husband very much wanted to be "the guy with no shame" when I knew him in college. Those were his heroes in movies, and that was the persona he projected and the stories of himself that he told.

But Kyle's right, he was still working on it. Most notably for those of us with him 24/7, he would tell stories about his exploits, and the details were sometimes off (sometimes by a lot), because he was fixing the narrative. I remember when I first met him, and he was telling me cool stories of his high school days, and all the while Pete sat in the background very quietly interjecting with, "No it didn't" and "That's not what happened" and stuff like that all the way through. It stands out in my memory, because it was so odd to see a dude's best friend fact-checking him in real time, and it barely interrupted his flow.

So yeah, at 19, 20... 21... he was still working on it. And he was close enough that in the retellings, he could make himself be that guy. But not quite there.

And this is all in hindsight and with no judgment. We were kids.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #17, rock drama? Settle in, it's a long one.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:58 amI remember when I first met him, and he was telling me cool stories of his high school days, and all the while Pete sat in the background very quietly interjecting with, "No it didn't" and "That's not what happened" and stuff like that all the way through.
This might be the most Peter thing I've ever heard.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Tahlvin wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:37 am 1992 #17, rock drama? Settle in, it's a long one.
I saw them perform this live at ACL in 2019(? Maybe 18) when Slash had finally rejoined the band. Oh my god. It was amazing.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #18, the Rascal Flatts cover is okay, but this is the original:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Tahlvin wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 am 1992 #18, the Rascal Flatts cover is okay, but this is the original:
Wow. I'm sure at the time I knew this wasn't true, but in recent memory, I've always thought this was Sammy Hagar.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #19:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 pm My child entered the car and immediately announced, "it's time to be scared by animatronics!"
"What?!" I said.
"So am I!" I said.
"THUMBS UP!" he said and I'm still lost except he says it's Five Nights at Freddie's. W. T. H help me.
FNaF is a video game. Freddie's is a Chuck E Cheese/Showbiz style joint and the animatronic animals are the bad guys. Never played it, never seen it, but it has been very popular.

The new Nicolas Cage film Willy's Wonderland is clearly someone's Five Nights at Freddie's script that they decided to rename so they didn't have to pay for the FNaF movie rights.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Kyle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:30 am
Mike wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:58 amI remember when I first met him, and he was telling me cool stories of his high school days, and all the while Pete sat in the background very quietly interjecting with, "No it didn't" and "That's not what happened" and stuff like that all the way through.
This might be the most Peter thing I've ever heard.
I'm not doubting the man needed extensive work during that time to become the paradigm of shamelessness he is today - you certainly did not see me dating him in high school due to the extensive work needed, though his relentless shamelessness towards me personally was a thing of legend - nor do I doubt that he tells and has told BS fancifully embellished stories about his exploits. However, whatever the truth may be, one thing I can tell you for sure: PETER DOES NOT KNOW IT. We have a triangulation now of many years of events fully remembered by three people: me, the man, and Peter, and there are two mutually exclusive options: the man and I both have massive dementia or otherwise completely misremember things, or Peter has no idea what actually happened around him during long periods of his past. The latter is honestly more likely. And I love and adore Peter - he is a superior human being in almost every way except for this way involving Memories.

I was around for all of this except apparently for the parts y'all were around for, during which time I was hanging out with Peter and the man was off-again/on-again involved in a completely psychotic bad relationship with my long-time friend from childhood (who unfortunately was also severely mentally ill, an abuse survivor, etc). During this period I once visited an apartment somewhere in the vicinity of Lincoln High, not sure if that may have been one of your shared apartment(s?) or not, but I only remember NotMike being there as well as some type of Illuminati card game in progress. Peter and I were there to obtain some belonging of his so that we could go out somewhere else, and thus I was hustled out of there in a hurry. Keep in mind the last time I had been in an apartment belonging to the man, he had nearly accidentally poisoned me, so I was not eager to remain! I was around for much of the time period with the pet bunny but then not so much after that, living in another state.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Upon reflection it occurs to me there are negative lessons to be learned from all this, such as: if you shoot your shot enough times, eventually the person consents to marry you. This story for sure is told in a different way from the other person's point of view fyi, but you know I am not lying because you know that was his entire dating strategy: if you shoot your shot 10 times without wasting more than 30 seconds on it, all you need is one person out of ten to say yes, and thus in a very short period of time, one generally always succeeds with such odds. If not, shoot the shot 20 times. The whole shooting metaphor is so unpleasant in this context but it conveys meaning.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:45 am
Phoebe wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 pm My child entered the car and immediately announced, "it's time to be scared by animatronics!"
"What?!" I said.
"So am I!" I said.
FNaF is a video game. Freddie's is a Chuck E Cheese/Showbiz style joint and the animatronic animals are the bad guys. Never played it, never seen it, but it has been very popular.

The new Nicolas Cage film Willy's Wonderland is clearly someone's Five Nights at Freddie's script that they decided to rename so they didn't have to pay for the FNaF movie rights.
Willy's Wonderland, just repeating that one for emphasis. Apparently whatever this game is, it's soul-shatteringly terrifying to young boys. Don't ask me why. We are well on the way to creating a world I won't understand in the slightest by the time I'm in the nursing home, and that sounds about right.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #20:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:17 pm the man and I both have massive dementia
Look, my experience being glued to him was a three year stretch of time three decades ago. You're clearly the expert. If there's a difference of recollection, I'll accept whatever you say as the more likely truth.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:16 pm
Phoebe wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:17 pm the man and I both have massive dementia
Look, my experience being glued to him was a three year stretch of time three decades ago. You're clearly the expert. If there's a difference of recollection, I'll accept whatever you say as the more likely truth.
In Peter's defense, during the last year I lived there, I also witnessed Peter do this several times- not just to Runanide, but to me or Bergie or others. And several times I knew he was right because I was there (or he was calling me out).
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #21:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kyle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:49 pm
In Peter's defense, during the last year I lived there, I also witnessed Peter do this several times- not just to Runanide, but to me or Bergie or others. And several times I knew he was right because I was there (or he was calling me out).
Absolutely. My experience is the same, but I feel like a back and forth over 30 year old memories is moot when she already admitted she has dementia. I mean, that's a win, right?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #22:
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:17 pm
Kyle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:49 pm
Absolutely. My experience is the same, but I feel like a back and forth over 30 year old memories is moot when she already admitted she has dementia. I mean, that's a win, right?
Your failure to affirm my truth smells particularly ableist if you believe I have dementia! But if you don't believe I have dementia then I'm right! :shock:
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #23:
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

So much Mariah Carey at this time! Who even knew so many songs existed in this way? I knew Vision of Love and Emotions. And then some later song with Jay-Z where everything was bright colors and popcorn is being thrown.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

There's just one grunge era song on here so far. More hair metal. Much more hip house.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #24 (a special one for University of Wisconsin football fans):
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Another ace Jump song. These fellas then went all in on Nu Metal, but this, where they seem more inspired by Public Enemy, I much prefer.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #25:
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

A whistle register warning here too
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #26:
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Damn, so good.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #27:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Not as good.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #28:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Celine!

I'm not a fan, but for some reason, I didn't expect her so soon.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

She's so young! Also- that song is perfect for the "easy listening" compilations K-Tel used to put out. Wow.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

1992 #29:
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

They good!