Decimal Deathless

Kyle

Re: Decimal Deathless

Post by Kyle »

Okay! I think I'm getting better! I've worked all day and actually done stuff!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Good evening!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Lizzo Boys yay yay!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Good morning!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mike's Top 100 Songs of 2022 According to Spotify, #8

Here Comes the Hotstepper, Ini Kamoze
I did not know, until a few years ago, that the word after Hotstepper is "murderer". I loved the song, and would sing along loudly to it, just faking some nonsense syllables into that space. I can't remember what I used to sing, but it was something like 'worder-up'. And then about a decade ago on the podcast The Bugle (a news show hosted by John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman), John Oliver started singing Hotstepper, and when he got to that part he sang EXACTLY the words I always sang. I didn't think anything of it, but his producer stopped him and asked, "Wait, what did you just say?" John tried again, and then the producer rightly made fun of him and corrected, "It's MURDERER. Have you even listened to the rest of the song?" John, fully embarrassed, puzzled this over and concluded that this indeed made it a completely different song for him. And I was right there with him, feeling really stupid, but also gaining a new appreciation for Hotstepper.

Still love the song.
I've liked this song since the mid-90's. I think it was a brief reappearance on Tik Tok in the last year that made me put it back in rotation for a while.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Good morning! Recovery continues!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:20 pm Lizzo Boys yay yay!
Seconded, or I second your second of his motion, whatever.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:37 am]
I've liked this song since the mid-90's. I think it was a brief reappearance on Tik Tok in the last year that made me put it back in rotation for a while.
Maybe this too osmosed into your brain via the music thread (or could have been a few years ago when it came up... I can't remember)! I don't know how the rest of the song helped with murderer except where he says it once maybe more distinctly? I take it to mean he's murdering people with his lyrical gangstering skills? As a youth I thought they were saying, "word, I'm up". 🤣
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Kyle wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:50 am Good morning! Recovery continues!
Probiotics time!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Packing up and getting ready for a full day at work before taking a red eye flight home.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

New thread, who dis?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mike's Top 100 Songs of 2022 According to Spotify, #7

The Old Estate, Pete & Bas
I've talked about these guys enough. I like Pete & Bas a lot, and sure it's the novelty of super-old British rappers, but I also think this song is legit fire in its own right. Still enjoying it.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I like to think I introduced you to Pete and Bas.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kyle wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:16 am I like to think I introduced you to Pete and Bas.
I'll allow it. Specifically because I think that might be correct. I feel like it was a Nerd Pride post that got me to them. It's just too bad there's no way to fact check that.

EDIT: Thank you, Kyle!

Mike's Top 100 Songs of 2022 According to Spotify, #6

The Jump Off, Lil Kim
I already talked about Lil Kim. I liked her stuff well enough that two songs made the list. Love The Jump Off. It's solid! I feel like I was already familiar with at least the chorus prior to this year, but now it's all a blur, and I can't remember the order of things. But it doesn't matter... great song.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

You... are... welcome.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mike's Top 100 Songs of 2022 According to Spotify, #5

Tempo, Lizzo
More Lizzo! I'm surprised that About Damn Time didn't make the list, but there's no arguing with Spotify.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Tahlvin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:33 am Packing up and getting ready for a full day at work before taking a red eye flight home.
Did the rains subside? Was it the whole time?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:15 pm Mike's Top 100 Songs of 2022 According to Spotify, #5

Tempo, Lizzo
More Lizzo! I'm surprised that About Damn Time didn't make the list, but there's no arguing with Spotify.
You and my kid. I had to find the Radio Edit. 👀
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mike's Top 100 Songs of 2022 According to Spotify, #4

The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton, Laura Jane Grace
By all rights, THIS should have been my #1 song of the year, but then I found the original Mountain Goats version of this and wound up with both versions of the song on my list.

I already talked about the original, but this version was the first time I ever heard of the Mountain Goats.

Laura Jane Grace is the founder/singer/guitarist of the punk band Against Me!, a band I already knew and liked, which I suppose is why she was recommended to me. She is openly transgender and has been very public and open about her transition process. Fascinating.

But I didn't know any of this until late in the game. For months, all I knew was that Spotify had dumped this weird and wonderful song in my lap, and I absolutely loved it. Great song!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:39 pm
Tahlvin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:33 am Packing up and getting ready for a full day at work before taking a red eye flight home.
Did the rains subside? Was it the whole time?
The rain stopped on the last day I was there, although it was supposed to hit again early this morning.

And even though I was sitting in the Comfort+ section of the plane, that flight was anything BUT comfortable. I am not saying this to fat shame, and I'm sure he was just as uncomfortable as I was. I was in the aisle seat, another guy was in the window seat, and sitting in the middle seat between us was a somewhat obese gentleman who manspread like crazy and ended up taking up one third of my seat and one third of window-guy's seat. On a 4+ hour red eye flight. That was miserable. I was one of a minority on the flight wearing a mask, and middle-seat-guy was not a masker, and I did not enjoy constant physical contact from his arm and leg the entire flight.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Good morning!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mike's Top 100 Songs of 2022 According to Spotify, #3

Blood in the Cut, K.Flay
This is the first K.Flay song I ever heard. It played in the background of a Scream Queens commercial, I believe, and immediately I knew I had to find the whole song. It was on last year's list. It'll likely be on next year's list.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

This boy likes his K Flay
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Back home again. Not in Indiana (good grief, Indiana wants me, Lord I can't go back there!), but in Wisconsin. Here's to getting a full night's sleep tonight!
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

But...but...GenCon is in Indiana...
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Hopefully my last doctor's appointment this afternoon!
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Like, forever? Bold choice!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I choose to live my life boldly!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'm hoping GenCon Indy will find a different location in the near future. Like GenCon Madison, or GenCon Milwaukee. Or maybe GenCon Honolulu.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Quick question and answer as honestly as possible: who misses Daddy?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Not I.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kyle wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:25 am This boy likes his K Flay
I also enjoy Cake.

Mike's Top 100 Songs of 2022 According to Spotify, #2

Sheep Go to Heaven, Cake
Which is my favorite Cake song? Short skirt long jacket? The distance? Sheep go to heaven? Hard to say. Prolly the distance, but sheep is always running a close second...

Except for this year! Suck it The Distance!
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Swine, going for speed.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Reluctantly crouched at the starting swine
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Bump
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Piggies oinking and boinking in time
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mike's Top 100 Songs of 2022 According to Spotify, #1

Spooky Language, The Palmer Squares
I get it. I have been positively obsessed with this song since the first time I heard it. It's number one for the year, because I can't stop playing it. Every time I've had to pull up the list, there's Spooky Language at the top. I want to play it every time. It's a sickness.

I love the rapid-fire clever lyrics. I love the whole flow. I want to memorize it and burn it into my brain like Jabberwocky.

No one I share it with is as impressed as I, but that's okay. To each their own.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:21 am I already talked about the original, but this version was the first time I ever heard of the Mountain Goats.
Okay, that's not strictly true but let it rest. I just ate like 20 extremely small potatoes and can't think of anything but potatoes.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am glad the rains did not strand Tahlvin there! It's terrible, the stories of what is happening to people are so terrible. The five year old swept away after his mom tried everything to save him, oh my God. What is this world?
Tahlvin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:41 am ... middle-seat-guy was not a masker, and I did not enjoy constant physical contact from his arm and leg the entire flight.
I will force thoughts of tragedy out, out, out! Instead, I am sorry to welcome you to this small, fetid corner of my life as a hobbit among the elves. So many strangers' uninvited forearms have known mine; the unavoidable warmth of so many alien seatmate bodies has been felt. In the middle seat between two big and tall guys (usually where I land) one must sink down into the triangular/diamond shaped space carved out below their shoulders, and you cannot move. Luckily my thigh is like four inches long, probably wider than it is long (22 tiny potatoes wide), so it can escape even the guys who manspread. I have sympathy because it would suck to have to fold and compress a larger body into the totally inadequate space on the plane. Inevitably it happens during seatbelting, so I tell them it's okay if they have to step on me when the cart goes by or whatever, and if you make a joke about this being much better than the cart potentially crushing a kneecap, they are usually appreciative. The tension subsides; you end up cuddling into some stranger's belly. Oh how I miss air travel.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:52 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:21 am I already talked about the original, but this version was the first time I ever heard of the Mountain Goats.
Okay, that's not strictly true but let it rest.
No please! I would love to hear the story. I can well imagine that I've heard of them before or that I've heard one of their songs either from them or as a cover. I can even imagine that I had a discussion about them where someone was recommending them and I was promising that I'd go look them up right away. But whatever the truth, my experience with them failed to cling to my consciousness in any way until I'd been listening to Laura Jane Grace for a couple months and finally had the original pop into my feed. So hearing about a previous opportunity that slipped away from me actually sounds fascinating.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Ah, finally got a good night's sleep for my usual 6.5 hours and followed that with an 11 mile run to start the day.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Billboard Hot 100 Year End Chart 2022
100. Circles Around This Town (Maren Morris)

Morris taking victory laps for taking on the Nashville scene and she still got the pedal down. Damn catchy and inspiring, even though I think I miss a bit of the context (but I mean that's like 90% of all rap songs and all Spanish language songs and especially all Spanish language rap songs). 9/10

🏆 Pete's Top 25 new-to-me in 2022 from Billboard's year-end Hot 100 chart: #14
Mike

Post by Mike »

Good morning!
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Good afternoon!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Tahlvin wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:32 am Ah, finally got a good night's sleep for my usual 6.5 hours and followed that with an 11 mile run to start the day.
Haha it is good to see you back at your normal powers! All is right with the world. I did another deadlift day and while it is a far cry from the heyday, at least it was good.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Excellent!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Good day!
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Sir!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Billboard Hot 100 Year End Chart 2022
99. One Mississippi (Kane Brown)

A regular old country love song gets points for a super-catchy chorus. The song is about being excited, and its mood matches its plot. 9/10

🏆 Pete's Top 25 new-to-me in 2022 from Billboard's year-end Hot 100 chart: #24
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Good morning, one and all!