The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Phoebe

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by Phoebe »

Obsessed with this all day yesterday and still today. They have longer recordings I also appreciate but they disrupt my mental state too much to play in the background while using the brains:

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

We will remember

Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Silk Sonic album finally out. Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mando

Post by Mando »

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:11 am Silk Sonic album finally out. Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I am so excited to hear this! I have to do volunteer work all day so probably won't hear it until tomorrow but oh my gosh how exciting!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Still haven't heard that whole thing because this happened, this was released, and sigh, who can listen to anything else? His perfect, shimmering voice! I do not like high voices and we make one of the rare exceptions only when a Perfect voice is heard. Of course it sounds good on low notes too.

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Listened to this album for the first time in probably 20 years. I think it holds up pretty well. I didn't much care for Rancid's stuff after this album (thought they got kind of boring), but this is a good one.

This song gives a tiny inkling of what it must be like to be an addict, I think.

Things I can't remember
Come back to haunt me
A lot of people out there
Seem to want me
Climb in the bottle
And never come out

Reel on a repeating loop
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I've probably posted this before. Oh well.

Morbid feelings in an envelope
I'm only kidding, it's only a joke
Don't let him get too close
Don't let her get too close
Don't let anyone get that close

Reel on a repeating loop
Mando

Post by Mando »

a dish of Korn

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Been stuck in my head today.

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Two days later it dawns on me: "sandy claws". Ugh. 🤢😛

To repay you I will give you this delightful video with the theme song of the first show my boyfriend here was in. Some poor soul with a similar affliction to my own must have made this for the rest of us. I don't even know how he manages to act in shows or go around in public at all, poor thing. Every woman within 20 yards and a significant ratio of the men as well constantly fainting or dropping dead of a heart attack right there. I would imagine guilt starts to build up over time but he can't help that he was born this way. I feel a range of fairly distressing physiological symptoms simply watching him on the screen; in person I don't know how anybody survives it.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Me: (dancing vigorously to this music while sitting in bed)
Husband: you... you are... Bat... Shit... Crazeeeee! Let me get this straight: I can't hear Bruce Lee because you're loudly eating... an entire... lettuce... in a... Cup?
Me: yes, I call this Salad in a cup! See, a whole Romaine stands in the cup and you pour the dressing down inside the leaves..."
Husband: "lettuce in a CUP, no fork, and listening to that ... godawful ... "sound"! I can take the sound of chewing lettuce but I can't take the drumming. And you don't recognize that's Bruce's high school girlfriend!
Me: I don't recognize her because I don't care about her.
Husband: that's racist.

Ahhh he is glad I am bringing some humor to his life, he said, and then he gave up on Bruce Lee, rolled over and fell asleep! Muahahahahahahahaaa now I have seized the remote so I can watch the new episode of the King's Affection! Is it crazy or is it madness with a method? 😊

Mando

Post by Mando »

Happy Thanksgiving
Mando

Post by Mando »

10 years ago this was made....Khip-hop (because we don't call it KRap)

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That was quite a lineup of suggestions! The last one was rather... yikes! Run, girl!
I am very fond of these guys. I would love to see them play live:

Mike

Post by Mike »

I like Caravan Palace. My oldest son loves them, and for a while he was obsessed with their music. I developed an appreciation for a few of their songs through osmosis. Good stuff.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I can't even come up with specifics to post but there are a thousand videos floating around now from the BTS Live concerts and it is truly a gift from the beyond. They are a gift to the world. I will just give you this which has me nearly dead from laughter. I love him so much. I love his pigtails. I don't even think Lee Min-Ho could get away with pigtails. Oh this man:

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I'm definitely not the narrator

It keeps me thinking
It keeps me thinking
How I could live your life so much better than you

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Hello. Something important has happened. I assume Jin has lost patience with my idle commentaries on the superior handsomeness of Lee Min-Ho and finally decided to do something about it. "Attention, fish: I am the superior angler in these waters! Only I understand your ways. Make haste to bite upon my fishing rod!"
LOL, I said. Yes. Indeed.
Then some genius, some unknown but absolute genius, decided to make an animal crossing version of Jin's little song:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh wow there is in fact a choreographed video with Jin and now not only is this perfect but it makes the prior animal crossing video even more perfect as well. What a gift to the world, you know? It's just... I have no words. Perfection. Happiness. I like Mr. Brown Cargo Pants here as well. Winning.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

There is more. So much more. What is happening? The world erupts with song defiantly against the inexplicable torments of life (also I like this guy, the one on the left):

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I can't believe a year ago I didn't know any of these songs

My new-to-me women-led songs of the 1950s mix:

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I will always believe that the Police were at their best when they were goofy.

In later videos, when they got all serious, Stuart Copeland looks like he's miserable.

Reel on a repeating loop
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Great song.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I love the woman list Oh my goodness! I'm going to share this around with the youngins.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Phoebe wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:09 pm I love the woman list Oh my goodness! I'm going to share this around with the youngins.
Thanks!! I spent some time curating and sequencing and pretty happy with the results.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Super Tuna is basically the only music I'm capable of hearing and the pre-chorus portion runs through my head all day long. I accept my fate the way it is but it's such an intense vivid experience that I'm actually growing tired of it and would like to hear some other kind of mental music. SU PA CHAM CHI over and over and over again is really something.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

In one way luckily - because I don't have to run around saying Cham chi! HAH! all day - but in another way unluckily, because Drake, I found that merely uttering the name Drake the other day has caused Drake to creep back in to the musical subconsciousness. It could be that his special powers are creeping in some general sense... Which is partly why he seems objectionable as a person but why he is so damn effective with the music. Maybe it comes back because today used to be the mark of a happy occasion. Now it's just another day, sadly.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Also inexplicably going through my head at the same time today:

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This picture really summarizes why I like the ones I do: The people who want to wear the reindeer antlers. Those are my guys.

The main theme of the Sound of Music as sung by Mother Superior has been in my mind for about 36 hours now and I keep trying to sing it aloud, which is not good for anyone and particularly not good for dogs.
Mando

Post by Mando »

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Gonna say goodbye to the 1950s this week. It's been a rewarding 11 months, and all that's left is the Best of the 1950s finals, 140 votes in and it's been close the whole time..

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My kid has me listening to this now and I love.

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

On the anniversary of D. Boon's death.

Reel on a repeating loop
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I have been OBSESSED with this song for two days now - I was always a fan since day 1 but not in a serious way, yet the older I get the more I like this earlier stuff. His mellow, can't-bend-at-the-joints style of bopping around and his silky-smooth singing have become even more appealing and moving over the years:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Apparently new-ish Azealia Banks track apparently about Grimes, whatever that is supposed to mean. I like it - she can't do anything to hide her artistic talents. I don't understand why people act like whatever drama this woman causes is the cause of her "career" not being more "successful" or whatever. She keeps putting out interesting music and apparently has no support of the normal kinds when doing it. From my perspective she just needs a couple of wholesome grandparents to check on her and someone to record a bunch of her vocals to put with interesting beats. It's normal to hurt yourself when other people are hurting you too, that's the impression she gives me always and I feel for her. You know she is not wrong about most of the bullshit she sees through and points out in this life.

Mando

Post by Mando »

My new favorite K-pop track...
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I can't decide whether I like this. On the one hand, baseball? On the other hand, My universe and BTS/Coldplay? I am too loyal to BTS. Something is up with them, like earthquake level up: they seem to be preparing for a near future endpoint when they go off in separate ways, maybe with some joint projects, but I think they're done with the kind of work that requires living together 24/7 and rehearsing every day for hours. Maybe the pandemic has precipitated this, along with the general concerns about wanting to live adult lives. The celebrity culture must be so toxic for them, when every sneeze is scrutinized and they can't even date anyone without desperate secrecy and maybe paying people off. Horrid conditions. Anyway, now you put me in mind of BTS. The song appears to be about restless leg syndrome?

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The song is still in heavy rotation, which is both good and bad, because it's a master class in vocals and beauty but it also gives me goosebumps most of the time and in the dead of winter that's not always what we want!
However, whatever else might be going wrong in my life, one thing that is solidly going right is that I've acquired a vehicle with a built-in butt warmer. I love and prefer the cold and don't have any desire for warm weather or things like a warm toilet seat - in fact the coolness of the toilet is reassuring and one does not wish to find warmth there. But one of the greatest luxuries of the modern age is a butt warmer for your cold car. I could live without a lot of fanciness in the car as long as the butt was being warmed.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

poorpete wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:41 am 1st listen: felt it was good but indistinguishable from her other ballads
2nd listen: better -- the bass is doing interesting things.
around the 10th listen I was all in. It is one of her best songs, and it does have some magical qualities. I kinda wish she didn't spend years on her songs but if we get this, i'm ok