The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Phoebe

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by Phoebe »

[
Last edited by Phoebe on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

"Black people made rock and roll yeah!" Yes please more Sister Rosetta shout outs in art, thank you.
Mando

Post by Mando »

back on two feet!
TEN has a hit I think.

On a weirder note. Imagine this as a country song...maybe FlaGa line??? People would go nuts over it, but "eeew its kpop" so nah

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

my daughter and I are jousting over our shared spotify account (bad idea to share such a thing with your teenaged emo hipsters fyi) but have landed in agreement on JOY DIVISION, so having figured out how to link Phone and Car I can now tear around town listening to this, which probably does worsen the driving relative to standards of propriety:

Robin Gibb freaks me out and always has, just like Barry. Andy is okay but scary - you encounter him as a young child, not quite knowing what a coke addict is but nevertheless detecting that he does not occupy the same non-cocaine-addled plane as others. Yes, I am a Maurice fan. You see videos and he looks so gentle and peaceful, with his gentle voice, blending in and not trying to showboat like his brothers, and then you find out he pulled a gun on his wife and kids in an alcoholic frenzy. But he regretted it, got treatment. What a world. Anyway, in the throes of ever-deepening misanthropy and a total incredulous rejection of the entire discipline of Economics once it got loose from the "household" (almost nobody is "rational" or even knows what the **** their own rational self-interest would be!), I also join my beloved offspring in this tasteful enjoyment:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Finally I am hearing BTS Butter on the primary pop station in my town, as of just now in the car. I am not a super duper fan of the new remix with Megan - maybe that's why they're playing it? I only caught a little snippet of it so maybe I'm missed whether it was the remixed version, which my phone has been eager to tell me came out today.

Luckily the phone also provided a link to the BTS YouTube page, which has preserved for us more interesting live performances they recently did, including this one which is so bad that it is somehow good in spite of the wretchedness of it all. Or maybe we should put this differently: J-Hope is still J-Hope and Jin still has a beautiful silvery golden voice even though this remake of a remake is as s***** as it could possibly be in terms of instrumentation, people singing randomly out of tune, and overall ridiculousness and bad judgment. This version of the Police song was bad when it was first done by whoever - Puff daddy, did he Diddy did it - voice to text is having a really hard time handling this but that's what you're going to get from me while I'm stuck here in traffic.

Anyway, they were missing someone, like biggie or whoever and so they made a terrible version except for Faith Evans. And this one is terrible, except for Jin, in a similar way.

The question of one's bias is very difficult to answer; I think what it comes down to is that I personally identify with J-Hope and feel that he is the most like me, and I get him and everything he does is great, but I don't love him in That way. Whereas Jin I would eat with a spoon and fork or whatever other utensil or just without a utensil of any kind. I would eat him. If that sounds disturbed and cannibalistic and twisted that's because it is. He is so beautiful that he looks like food. When I see a picture of him I just think it makes sense to gnaw directly on his face. What else are you supposed to do when presented with such a thing? I don't care that he's too young; he's not half my age and he's never going to be again and so that means he can be my supper any time.

What the heck, how did the human male even get to be this level of beautiful? He's improving over time, I think by developing a jadedness and cynicism that he masks with old man humor of a kind that also resonates with my Midwestern upbringing. Old Midwestern guys must be a lot like old Korean guys. Either way, looks like a delicious supper. He also leans back a lot in pictures nowadays, kind of a loungey thing where clearly any normal person would leap upon him and fling him backwards into whatever loungy furniture he's lounging upon. These lounging poses are killing me y'all.

Judge for yourself. This kind of love isn't very pleasurable; it doesn't bring joy. Maybe we think love has to bring joy - and it does insofar as we contemplate the raw sex appeal of the love object. Maybe we find the object of love incredibly witty and clever and amusing. But at the end of the day, loving might mean that you have to put up with absurd songs like this one, or that you have fixated upon an object of love that is completely inappropriate and too young for you and embarrassing. The people in your house stand firmly against your love - my kids Loathe BTS mainly because I love them - and they consider it ridiculous and inconvenient. Your love can't accomplish a single good thing and the object of your love is in almost no way benefited by it except by increased clicks on YouTube or Spotify or whatever. Wherever one finds the music. Indeed the object of love would probably be horrified by your sentiment. But it is of no import. Love doesn't ask these kinds of questions or care about these kinds of problems or demands. It doesn't care whether it's useful or makes you happy. It is what it is and all you can hope to do in the face of it is continue to live as an ethical person who does not in fact consume an innocent K-pop star as your supper.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Ten and YAngYang - Low Low

Hypnotic earworm.

Mando

Post by Mando »

I am so gonna rock some long white tube socks with long shorts, yeah!

Also, these videos make my knee hurt!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This video won't make your knee hurt but it will make you feel like your love is inadequate, because there are about six million ladies and gents in line ahead of you and your love is shamelessly impure.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:42 am This video won't make your knee hurt but it will make you feel like your love is inadequate, because there are about six million ladies and gents in line ahead of you and your love is shamelessly impure.
I love Jin too.

So, we got our refunds for the Atlanta Concert :(

My kids are very disappointed :cry:

btw...make sure you have the light stick things when you go to the concerts. my kids have a collection of them. BTS, SuperM, and NCT and others...they are as cool as they look and they all sync up at the concerts so that you are part of the light show as the showed in the video.

My wife went with my daughters to the SuperM concert and had a blast.

So do you watch the BTS Run videos?

Anyway here is something else....

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ah, a video in which Jin literally dances around a pole, asks for someone to come be his teacher, and gets silver highlights so we can pretend that he's in his 40s. Interesting selection. But then also: we get to hear J-Hope rapping in his luscious Jeolla dialect with his surprisingly low voice. Many treasures.

Hey is this part of a playlist or something Google is calling a mix? Either the AI is getting a lot more sophisticated or someone made a mix and threw in a bunch of my favorite songs! :)
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ugh I tried to post something here and failed as it was from the phone. Boo. Now I can't remember what it was. Brain deteriorates. However, this was a week for Beethoven chamber music, and Fanny Mendelssohn. I am learning about some women composers via osmosis from my kids, who are working with people particularly interested in both new contemporary music and retrieving neglected works from the past. I had no idea how much we had these women composers and just didn't make them part of the canon.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This was about the last thing I expected and it is so incredibly great I am floating about on clouds of joy! Unbelievable. Amazing. They came back after so many years and went right on doing their thing.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Should NOT have mentioned it because now it's here. Also I love Lil Nas X, who knew? The pregnant man parody of Drake album cover is choice.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Liven up the weekend:
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I thought the powers of my mind were strong enough to withstand this music, touch and go, ignore, let it sit harmlessly on the radio, but no. If you don't want this brainworm you can't give it playing time! After maybe 16 scattered minutes here and there over a month, it burrowed on in! I'm sorry, I'm the servant to my irrational animal brain. I'm trying, honestly. Trying hard. Shit isn't going great, so... Weak moments.

Mando

Post by Mando »

This is where I have been for weeks now in my mind...

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Philip Glass takes me there. Can make me feel inspired, relaxed, or scared -- but mostly all depending on my mood. A mood heightener.

Wikipedia says this began from a song left out of Koyaanisqatsi, and speaking of, "The Grid" is one of my favorites. And speaking of heightening, I love song that slowly adds and subtracts layers, and this one does it masterfully. Love it starts going arpeggio mad then the bass comes in (around 1:46 and again around 4:15 and again around 7:10) and it's ON.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Very cool, good recommendations!!!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is presently my daughter's favorite so I am compelled to keep it on the radio all the time. Unfortunate as I do not like the music sound but I do think the guy himself is absolutely hilarious and awesome. Since when have we had a black out gay man who was so loudly, unabashedly masculine and sexual? This is in fact what the world needed and it astonishes me that people are all upset about the stuff he puts in his videos. Have these people watched a video lately? It's fine when you do it with women huh? Everything's fine when it's done to women but let it be manly guys being gay and suddenly everybody's freaking out. We know how it is.
But also he does these things with hilarious style - his weightlifting routine in this video in particular cracks me up.
He just seems like a person you would want to hang out with.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I love everything about that video except Jack Harlow. Why does he feel he has to prove his hetero cred in a song about an openly gay black man standing up to the industry and the haters? Cuz other than Harlow, I loved the music, and Phoebe's right, that weightlifting dance routine was the bomb.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mike wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:00 pm I love everything about that video except Jack Harlow. Why does he feel he has to prove his hetero cred in a song about an openly gay black man standing up to the industry and the haters? Cuz other than Harlow, I loved the music, and Phoebe's right, that weightlifting dance routine was the bomb.
Agreed. I'm also just not a fan of Harlow- same cadence and lyrics every time. Boring.

More importantly, whenever I see him, he reminds me of that older brother of everyone's best friend- the guy you thought was cool until you got older and realized he was a weirdo that spent too much time hanging out with people four years younger than himself.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

He is wretched. I just ff through that, no purpose for it.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Gotaa have high, high hopes!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:44 am He is wretched. I just ff through that, no purpose for it.
I get that that's the abbreviation for fist f***, but it seems awfully brutal for the situation.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My God, maybe I do want to sue you! I dare you to moderate my posts but wait till I get to Texas.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:50 am My God, maybe I do want to sue you! I dare you to moderate my posts but wait till I get to Texas.
There's a difference between commentary and moderation. I didn't moderate your speech in any way. But I was saying that I felt that your desire to fist f*** Jack Harlow was something of an overreaction. I love how you people always demand free speech for yourselves but want to limit any speech that criticizes you. Hypocrites.
Mike

Post by Mike »

For the last year-ish, I've been very hooked on K.Flay and grandson. Both of them have an intensity that draws me in. Just thought of it, because these two came up back-to-back in my playlist this morning. Both of them were my first favorite song from each of them that really put them on my radar.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Dude she seems way too young to have a grandson! I guess it shows that we shouldn't assume! I'll be watching you and waiting for my opportunity to sue you in a Texas court, don't worry! Just watching and waiting and I'm not even going to tell you when I'm posting from Texas.
Mando

Post by Mando »

can I just say what a pleasant thing it is to see the HYPE dance done by a group...

Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:17 pm Dude she seems way too young to have a grandson!
Apparently my wife and I listen to a lot of K. Flay. One of these came up on my playlist, right after the other had just been on hers. I really really enjoy her music.

Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Thanks to some silly TikTok videos my wife keeps showing me, this ear worm has worked its way into my head.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Catchy as hell!

Never heard it before, but just added it to my current playlist. Might regret it, but I dig it for the moment.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Webb Pierce. 1953. The combination of Hawaiian guitar and Pierce's mournful warbling gets me every time. I feel his pain.

First heard this a few months back, because some country performer sampled and distorted it on their own album. I was intrigued enough to look for the original and am glad that it's even better than I was expecting. Certainly better than the song that sampled it.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Good one! Lost to the Davis Sisters "I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know" in Round 1.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Damn. Here I was all prepared to hate I Forgot More, but it's actually pretty good. And VERY similar dynamics going on.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mando wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:39 am can I just say what a pleasant thing it is to see the HYPE dance done by a group...
I am very fussy about my Kpop as you know and mainly stick with ONLY BTS or Mamamoo. However, this is a nice song, nice sentiment.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I did not really expect to find myself in 2021, avowed fangirl of a man named "Lil' Nas X", yet here we are with many a thing we did not expect. The point is, this is Lil' Nas X's world and we are merely living in it, or we are populating it so that he can live in a pre-populated world. I do not like Miley Cyrus but he has made me like a song sung by her, because, well, listen to it! Beautiful.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:36 pm
Mando wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:39 am can I just say what a pleasant thing it is to see the HYPE dance done by a group...
I am very fussy about my Kpop as you know and mainly stick with ONLY BTS or Mamamoo. However, this is a nice song, nice sentiment.
favorite mamamoo song?

I only know 1cm but I have heard a lot of them.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Well that's a difficult one! I liked Dingga and the Pianoman and You're the Best, but I think maybe the new song is my favorite so far? They're definitely my favorite girl group, favorite women in K-pop group or whatever. For some reason it's BTS and Mamamoo and I honestly do not care for the rest. One of the weird things about Mamamoo in particular is I think two of these women are actually better looking and cooler on many levels than I am! Maybe this makes me sound like a terrible narcissist but you know, I mostly like being myself. But I think maybe I would be a lot better if I was Hwasa or Moonbyul? I don't know. Moonbyul is very cute and cool and I would like to be as cool as she is, but maybe keep my own face and body and brain and such. But with Hwasa? If we get to that point where we get to grow spare bodies in a vat to be used by our brains in a pinch, I will take the Hwasa model. I don't like to think I can be improved on that much but facts are facts. That's pretty much what I would like to look like and it's approximately opposite where we are right now. Or we could put it another way: this is basically who I am in my mind, this is who I think I am, and my current outer shell does not match up for some reason. I think of myself as being this awesome and yet... What happens?! One of my eyebrows just stopped growing properly and I look like an ox!

Mando

Post by Mando »

Stealing Phoebe's thunder!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Probably it's a coldplay song that simply features BTS but I prefer to think that it is a BTS response to Mamamoo's Universe song by Moonbyul in much the same way I presume and hope Moon was written mainly for her. Sighhhh did you see the picture of my alpaca with Chris Martin? It masquerades here as a human temporarily but we know what it really is. Oh my God he's so cute.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This whole BTS at the United Nations and Global Citizen concert and every talk show in the US in a single week has been a great deal to absorb and process in the midst of a busy period of many pressing responsibilities, but I do what I have to do to address these priorities. In particular I have just watched the latest in a series of several interviews where our boys appear with the PRESIDENT of KOREA and they are all just talking about climate change and the need for global vaccination and human development and sustainability goals and it is TOO MUCH FOR ME. If they were JUST pop stars that would be one thing, but they are in fact the global superheroes we need to fix our world. I was shamed into a deep silence of the soul by my beloved alpaca's compassion for the unvaccinated, the vaccine-fearers. If listening to Jin doesn't persuade you to do it, nothing will. I offer you this video not only because it is yet another terrific live version of Butter, but because in this one in particular Jin's soft clouds of alpaca wool suddenly turned into a dagger around the 1:05 minute mark and PIERCED MY SOUL. Like seriously, look into his face as he forms the "mirror" with SUGA, you will perish! You will instantly perish! It's too much for mortal eyes. LOOOOOOOOK AT HIM!!!! I am going to go live as a monk on a mountaintop for a few years merely to cope with all of this and probably that's the only way I can gently descend into old age without feeling guilty for my instinctive animal responses to this lustrous, shimmering Camelidae with the golden voice. For the unwashed, he is Red Jacket, black outfit:

I want to make clear that it is JIN's voice sparkling all over the supposed "group" and "Chris Martin" portions of that Coldplay 'My universe' track - they basically had JINs voice brought in as the supporting scaffold to make Chris Martin sound better, which you don't find out unless you watch the details of the "making the video" where you can actually hear Jin singing all the main parts. I love V's voice which is silken smoky purple velvet, and Jungkook's which is a kind of shiny royal blue version of the same and incredibly versatile and pure. Nothing here takes anything away from those other stellar vocals, but I feel they don't give Jin all the credit deserved for being the true powerhouse voice of this bunch, and he didn't even start off intending to be a singer or join a singing group! Just happened by accident - cute face, turns out to have absolutely celestial and perfectly in tune vocals. I have never once heard the man sing out of tune and I assume not only does he have the perfect pitch but simply pops it out whenever - has anyone ever heard him sing a single false or off note? Okay, just ignore me, I don't intend to spend my entire old age lusting after a 30 year old man who could be my actual grown son in age difference because my goodness, what is wrong with you girl? I take some solace in knowing there are 80 year old grannies finding themselves in exactly the same position - there are millions of us, frankly. This is NORMAL y'all, a totally NORMAL reaction.
Mando

Post by Mando »

We are making plans to visit LA on Thanksgiving weekend to see BTS...uggh, not sure I want to go through all the trouble.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mando wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 am We are making plans to visit LA on Thanksgiving weekend to see BTS...uggh, not sure I want to go through all the trouble.
I saw the concert announcement and I thought to myself, I could do this if I had a child who was into BTS as much as I was, but I have failed as a parent in that regard. They will listen to Japanese pop from the '80s and Japanese video game soundtracks all day but they do not love BTS. What happened, kids?

Maybe if we wait a year or two they will go on a cross-country tour and then we can drive somewhere and see them. The live concerts are unbelievably good, just incredible, if video record of them is to be believed and extrapolated to what that experience might be like. More motivation to learn Korean so I can say the proper things on the day that it is up to me to shout encouragements to them.

Anyway, for some reason this song has been my head since hearing it a while back, and it lingers but I find the sentiment incredibly disturbing. No, we aren't all like that, guy! Some of us are viscerally horrified by such things and do our best to avoid them lest we become nauseous and lose hope. My poor grandma used to cry over newspaper stories she would see about terrible things and then sometimes cut them out and send them to me with commentary written on it. She didn't like it or seek them out out of a grim fascination, even a sad one - it was the price of reading the newspaper that such things would be there. This is one of the reasons I don't miss normal TV, because the chance of being exposed to some sort of accidental horror is minimized. I think by now dude has probably figured out his psychological state is a specific one not universal to humanity, but in case he hasn't, well, it's not universal!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

It blows my mind how good this song is

Just one of those days where I play a song I've heard a hundred times like four times in a row. When I was younger, the obvious best parts were the "little bit softer" and "little bit louder" sections, but my current favorite from this 10 part epic is the breakdown that starts "Part 2" with the gospel organ wails and he hits those high notes going on about how "allllllllllll-right" he feels. So good. So good.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mike

Post by Mike »

Flipping amazing!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Pentatonic is where it's at. Nothing so easy to be pretty then playing the black keys with the sustain pedal down. Can improvise for hours without complaint from others.