Kyle

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by Kyle »

Still can't get enough of this video:

Mike

Post by Mike »

Right? Love it!
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Took the top 25 billboard songs, Grammy best record nominees, Acclaimed Music top 25, People's Pop's top 10, Rate Your Music's top 10 for 2021 and put them in a music list, added a few more to make it 64 songs, and going to make them fight each other.

Currently on listen 1 for many of them, not going to start until I listen to each at least 4 times so it'll be a minute, but here's my playlist.

An immediate thought: The Grammy nominees, especially the ones that weren't part of the other lists, stand out, for better or worse. I hope Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett -- love them but I hope "I Get a Kick Out Of You" grows quickly because right away it feels inferior to any other version I've heard or anything I've heard from either artist.
Mando

Post by Mando »

If you saw Ghostbusters: Afterlife and watched the credits you heard this song which was written and performed by the lead actress, McKenna Grace.

Incredible talent for one so young. Parts of it remind me of Taylor Swift and some of Pink.

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Mando

Post by Mando »

Another insightful song by McKenna Grace.

In this song she puts my internal conversations with myself into words and those words to music.

Emotionally accurate for me...weird for a 54 yr old soon-to-be-granddad to say...

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Well, we like you here! This is my current music recommendation and boy howdy is it a good one:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Rock God

Gotta play some Paganini after that

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

The Housemartins - Build

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Decided to find out what else might be listened to in Korea, on the assumption that maybe the reason I like BTS and Mamamoo is these two gems bubbled up from an otherwise uninteresting mess of K-Pop because they happen to include specific humans I like while giving hints that musically, somewhere, somehow, writers and producers are doing even more interesting things. Well! It turns out... so much. So very much.

Went down a very long rabbithole of Korean hip-hop, much of which was uninteresting due to appearing 110% derivative of US artists and not in a good way - like whatever dumb trend had captured attention for a few moments was showing up here, and in general a lot of very superficial performers. However, over a multi-decade history there are some absolutely incredible artists - like I cannot believe we do not listen to these people regularly on the radio. Some of the better ones seem to have moved on to other things in life or have begun producing newer artists. This led to further spiralling rabbitholes in various directions.

This is one - this woman, all by herself, required a whole afternoon listening party. This is normally NOT a musical genre I'd enjoy but it's very interesting and she is really an original. You don't know what to expect from her songs or performances - expect the unexpected I guess. This one is my favorite with hilarious video - no idea what is happening here - and also, as my kids would say, it is a WHOLE DAMN MOOD:

I don't what these ladies are doing either and it's a little bit unpleasant, but good song:

This is a nice live performance in attractive setting - it's like a weaker version of that same Doja Cat beat that is all over the radio every 5 minutes, with much less grating singing and no Roomba:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I can't take too much of the mushy type of music, however, so I am forced toward The Antidote to All Things:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Tha best

Mando

Post by Mando »

I am getting a lot of personal comfort from this song tonight.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Our poor Jin has had finger surgery! They didn't say what happened, like whether he cut himself with a knife while cooking or injured himself, playing tennis or in the last concert or what? Fishing injury. 🤣💦🐟

I have always liked his singing here - in this one he is baseball cap, black shirt, as opposed to non-baseball cap, black shirt or baseball cap white shirt, who are different people. I think he's maybe the fourth singer to appear?

Annnyway, very glad to see that apparently all is well and everyone is okay now!

Mando

Post by Mando »

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Pete's 2021 tourney Match 1

Leave the Door Open vs. Freedom

Jon Batiste I admire and I do like the soul he's emulating for sure! It's got some good hooks and horns, but the production is maybe a bit too polished, emotion by the numbers, and his voice not quite soulful enough for it to defeat probably my most listened to track of 2021 out of the gate. Like the message tho.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I like this song but you know, Leave the Door Open is a monster! I think the first time I heard it I had to pull the car over to the side of the road - or maybe that was the second time. There was a moment though - it's incredible!!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I Still Have Faith in You (ABBA)
vs.
I Get a Kick Out of You (Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga)

Ok, this isn't nearly as bad as the first time I heard it, though I can hear what I didn't like. Mainly, an issue similar to "Freedom" -- soul by numbers. The musicians here are too excelent, too perfect, that it doesn't sound human and soulful enough. But.. it IS good. Lady Gaga sings pretty perfectly and Tony Bennett does not. What second issue was, and still kinda is, is Tony's voice for over 50 years was clear and strong. It was a mighty voice, and even when it turned raspy it still sounded great. Now his voice is failing and it's a bit gravelly and... it took some getting used to! Sorta like hearing old Bob Dylan and then hearing new Bob Dylan -- it takes a while to get on its wavelength. What this does have is a sweet video, showing the admiration for Tony is still strong even if his voice and mind might not be.

Next:
Right on Time (Brandi Carlile)
vs.
My Ex's Best Friend (Machine Gun Kelly featuring Blackbear)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Two songs about exes fight it out -- but really an excuse to give this song a quick exit. It's not at all a bad song. Has hooks, and I'm always a sucker for guitars. It is a quick one, just over 2 minutes, so perfect for pop and perfect for punk but it doesn't get me feeling those genres feels. Aside: do I treat bragging by certain artists positively and other artists negatively? You bet! I should work on that, but it might not be the most pressing thing for me to work on. Bye!

Next: Peaches (Justin Bieber featuring Daniel Caesar and Giveon) vs. Stay (The Kid Laroi and Justin Bieber)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Although the chorus is fine and has a smooth vibe, it stinks in comparison to the hyper-joy of Stay. I do really like the features tho, proving as what I think he knows, Bieber is best in a team. Fun synth solo at the end too.

Next: Montero (Call Me by Your Name) (Lil Nas X) vs. Industry Baby (Lil Nas X and Jack Harlow)
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Lightly obsessed (see what I did there lol) with this newer and definitely catchy song:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Like it! Was obsessed with Arcade Fire for a good few years in the 2010s. Always liked "Rebellion" and "Wake Up" and excitedly bought Neon Bible but was underwhelmed. It didn't connect with me. Then "The Suburbs" did the opposite -- that was huge, and went back and bought Funeral which was equally good. Then the 4th album not as much and the 5th was a Neon Bible-level disappointment, so I stopped paying attention.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Tough match, as I came in appreciating "Industry Baby" more but "Montero" really improves on each listen. I'm just so impressed at how A-list Lil Nas became in just two years. As much as Old Town Road was very good, it was also a bit sloppy, and it was lovable that way. Now he's back with these ace pop rap statements. Like, MC Hammer had a good second act, people forget, people think he was a one-hit wonder, but but he really didn't push himself forward. Lil Nas has positioned himself to conquer the industry, baby, and maybe transform it for the better too. I mean, gay anthems are few and far between and often in a Katy Perry way is "I'm just kidding!" Not here. Good.

Next:
Kiss Me More (Doja Cat feat. SZA)
vs.
34+35 (Ariana Grande featuring Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion)
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Wow, if that isn't a matchup of songs that hurt my ears! Agghh! I mean the one you're about to do with Bad and Worse, not the Montero/Industry match. That one would have been difficult for the opposite reason but I think I like Montero better - my kids are with you on this, however. My favorite of his new album is actually the lovely song he does with Miley Cyrus, of all people. Not a pairing I expected to appreciate so much:

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I've posted this one before. Don't care. I get to see them on their final tour in June.

When I'm locked in my room
I just want to scream
Now I know what they mean
Only the strong

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It is good to be reminded of the good ones! Have fallen into the ditch of destiny's child this am. Whyyy
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Like the violins. Probably fun to dance to. Honestly the verses are alright. A big meh for the chorus. Why even name it that, pretending to be coy and then the whole song is like THIS IS WHAT IT'S ABOUT.

NEXT!

Happier Than Ever (Billie Eilish) vs. Therefore I Am (Billie Eilish)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Fun and funky, but in many ways a sibling of Bad Guy lyrically. But I don't knock Lady Gaga for going back to the same similar well, so no knock on her. Its good. Fun and funky, yes please! It's just the other song is a bit different -- btw, not hard to see Billie go the Gaga route and start singing standards -- won't be surprised, she's got the voice.

Next
Drivers License (Olivia Rodrigo) vs. Deja Vu (Olivia Rodrigo)
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I don't remember hearing Happier than Ever? Will have to try. I hate that other song, the Ariana Grande one, aaaaaaaaaaagh awful! I didn't know the title but I know it from the sound, Lord knows! Also have no idea what it's about, honestly, because I can't get that far into it. I usually turn it out and hear the "I've been eating healthy" part and fight down the rising vomit while immediately clicking the CHANGE THE CHANNEL button. The same thing happens with that song where they ask "Can we just talk?" but for different reasons. The singer actually sounds pretty decent, but it's just too funny every time to growl NO! and click the button to the next station. This has happened SO often I figure it must be a very popular song, so this morning I tried to keep it going and not respond in the usual way. Turns out the music - no, is it even "music"? - is bad. Singing not so bad but unlistenable because crap. It's a lot more fun to click the NO button and then respond in different ways. I have a variety of call-response options in stock for this occasion. Can we just talk? I don't know buddy, can we? No! Apparently not. :) Can we just talk? JUST talk? Like that's nothing to you? Nope. Can we just talk? Bzztt! No talking allowed, obviously! Ugh, forget it. Maybe that's what they actually want you to do with the song and that's why they wrote it that way. Occam at work, lol.

The point is that I loathe the sound of that woman's squeaky breath voice, so I will post below an example of SINGING that YouTube chose to gift me with. I am not clear on what's happening in that video with the costume and all, but apparently it's a singing contest and for some reason this didn't win? God only knows why - this singing wins The Universe. This is real singing. This is an example of a Real Singer destroying multiple songs sung by other singers - even her version of Bon Jovi is good although not quite apt for the type of song.

UNINTENDED COMEDY: IT TURNS OUT THAT "BANG BANG" HORRID SONG THAT IS ONE OF THE FIRST SONGS IN THIS VIDEO IS NORMALLY SUNG IN THE ORIGINAL VERSION IN PART BY NONE OTHER THAN ARIANA GRANDE SO IN TRYING TO GIVE YOU THE COUNTEREXAMPLE I HAVE IN FACT GIVEN YOU THE REAL COUNTEREXAMPLE LISTEN TO QUEEN MICHELLE WILLIAMS TEACH THAT DISGUSTING PERSON HOW SINGING IS ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Those Destiny Child members were/are like really good

Drivers License (Olivia Rodrigo) vs. Deja Vu (Olivia Rodrigo)
Too difficult, both I adore for different reasons, need another few days

Next: Introvert (Little Simz) vs. Go Crazy (Chris Brown and Young Thug)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Purposely put Chris Brown up against Little Simz because I wanted him to lose. As for the song, I admit it's pretty good, good hooks, smooth mood. But nonetheless, I wanted him gone and won't share the audio.

Next: Life of the Party (Kanye West and Andre 3000) vs. Family Ties (Baby Keem feat. Kendrick Lamar)

Same. Love Andre Three Stacks and he has some solid verses. The song has some good messages, reminds me of old school Kanye in a good way. The production is exquisite. Including DMX talking to his daughter at the end gets me teary but feels its addition here is a tad emotionally manipulative. All around though, grudgingly acknowledge it's very good, but I don't want to listen to it anymore and to him to keep earning .004 more cents.

That's it for songs by problematic artists. Onward!

Next: I Don't Live Here Anymore (The War on Drugs feat. Lucius) vs. Forever After All (Luke Combs)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Taking a break from going through old song years (reached 1945!) to do a best of Hank Williams tourney.

Although most are very good and only a few are stinkers (looking at your, racist Kaw-Liga), here are the "correct" answers, according to me:

AAAA
BCBA
AAAA
BBAA
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Country list songs make me roll my eyes. And reminds me of the bob and david sketch where they list items they want from the grocery store: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG13SR-7j1w
And the stuff he lists are sooo rural cliche. Blue jeans.... duracell?? But other than that, it's all assembled together in a overall pleasing song. The lyrics flow well and he has a good voice. This is begggging to be a wedding song and you know what, I'm not against it. I can dance and roll my eyes at the same time, no prob.

Next... Thot Shit (Megan Thee Stallion) vs. Up (Cardi B)!!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Like them both, yup, but I can only pray you protect yourself from the massive earworm infection that results from listening to thot s*** even once!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Sitting here working with the Artificial Mind suggesting new songs to me based on the strange morning starting points of Phil Collins and Berlin, I reach this song which was on the list instead of Against All Odds and Take My Breath Away! But this is a good song, yes, I like it - very simple and repetitious but makes the most of that simplicity and is so poignant. I first heard this when I was eight (!!! 8!) and completely traumatized by the movie and the whole concept of Janis Joplin dying so young for no good reason. I was unable to comprehend it. Other things were going on in life related to those themes and I was developing a nascent awareness - like that people sometimes both took and dealt drugs and used alcohol to the point of self-injury, etc. All big news! Troubling news. I was trying to figure it out. I had this song on a tape because - get this - I performed a "baton twirling routine" to this tune. My God what were people thinking at that time? Really. So many examples like this. Anyway, there I was, later grade school era, with my baton, rewinding the cassette tape, trying to figure out what THEE HELL this song was talking about. Why was love like a razor? Why was Janis Joplin's life related to this content? I was so lost but it made an enormous impression on me. I knew there was a shadow present - like bad things were there, present, ready, possible, and somehow the person who wrote this song (not Bette) was clueing us in on some things, but it wasn't clear What. I mean, it is not saying too much to say that in myself I recognized a soul afraid both of dying and being "taken" (not literally - like the song implies it, duped), and that this type of fear left unchecked could be a bad thing eventually, and that whether it was a fallacious belief or not, I did in fact prefer to be lucky and strong, the end. It was a lot to process at that age.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

In many ways these songs are siblings, sisters, raunchy and direct -- expected from the duo behind last-year's Wap. A bunch of good lines on Thot Shit, but the key one is actually from Kendrick in "Family Ties": Show my ass and take y'all to class, I can multitask like Megan. That's the best definition of Megan's work. I don't have anything negative to say about this song, other than the usual bummer that I can only play it on my headphones, just that I currently like "Up" a tiny bit more.

Next: Bunny Is a Rider (Caroline Polachek) by Hard Drive (Cassandra Jenkins)

I like the smooth indie rock here, coupled by Jenkins doing a Laurie Anderson impression. This is very O Superman. I like it! But I love the other.

Moving onto the weird stuff next:
Knees (Injury Reserve) vs. Superman That (Injury Reserve)
Slow (Loud) (black midi) vs. John L (black midi)
Ancient Tool Gadget (Buke and Gase and So Percussion) vs. Days Like These (Low)
Boys at School (Spellling) vs. Narrator (Squid feat. Martha Skye Murphy)
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I have heard of not one of these things! But since you're giving me a convenient link to my song, I will just be listening to Megan now.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

WARNING you will not be able to get this loose from your brains easily once you begin, and it's not even the traditional Heigh Ho that puts you in true danger, it's that damn digging song:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Knees (Injury Reserve) vs. Superman That (Injury Reserve)

At which point is experimental noise just music. 20 years of stuff like this? Anyways, this is good but not always listenable. I didn't look up the band until now, and happy to see these weirdos are considered a hip hop group. I can hear the hip hop I guess, but feels like it belongs more in with experimental bands that popped out post Kid A.

Slow (Loud) (black midi) vs. John L (black midi)

Another perfectly fine weird one. It's weakness and strength is both in how happy it seems to change things up. The climax of it is pretty awesome. I may need to check out more from these weirdos.

Ancient Tool Gadget (Buke and Gase and So Percussion) vs. Days Like These (Low)

Solid indie rock fun, that I think I'd like a lot more if it didn't purposely annoy me by overcranking the organ at the start of verse 2. It was a risky gambit, and i get I might be like an old fogie who didn't like when guitars started getting distorted. But otherwise it's a very pretty song.

Boys at School (Spellling) vs. Narrator (Squid feat. Martha Skye Murphy)

Is a band that sounds exactly like other good bands a good band?

Next:
Save Your Tears (The Weeknd and Ariana Grande) vs. Positions (Ariana Grande)
Concorde (Black Country, New Road) vs. Bad Habits (Ed Sheeran)
Mood (24kGoldn featuring Iann Dior) vs. Butter (BTS)
Heat Waves (Glass Animals) vs. Without You (The Kid Laroi)
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Welllll!
That's an easy list for me! Winners:
Save Your Tears
Bad Habits
Butter
Heat Waves

(I had to edit that last one because I got confused about which song was which - I don't like either one but one is way worse)

Uh oh - thinking about BTS gets me all stirred up and now I've got to have this:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

OOH.

Well I totally agree with Save Your Tears, no contest. Positions was by far my least favorite of the three Grande songs. And I will give you Butter, though I wonder how much farther it'll go. It's a lesser Dynamite, IMO. But Mood is solid, hooky, and fun, minus a few cringey lyrics.

I've listened to Concorde and Bat Habits a bunch of times, and although I like Ed's work, I find it a tiny bit disappointing -- wasn't he supposed to be male/brit version of Taylor Swift? Instead he's a great pop singer and guitarist. So the male/brit Dave Matthews?

And I think I'm going with Heat Waves, which slowly rose the charts and is now the #1 song for the fourth week. It's a grower! Without You sounds like stuff I used to listen to in my teens and twenties. It's good, and good that it's popular, but I'm a sucker for Glass Animals' Hot Chip sound.

Oh saw your edit, good, we agree 3/4

Next!
Good 4 U (Olivia Rodrigo) vs. Good Ones (Charli XCX)
Solar Power (Lorde) vs. All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor Swift)
Be Sweet (Japanese Breakfast) vs. Just for me (PinkPantheress)
Chaeri (Magdalena Bay) vs. You Lose! (Magdalena Bay)
Last edited by poorpete on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yes, I got confused about which one was which!
Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

So...as I watched this video I had to rewatch it at .25 speed because I was sure they were scrubbing the video.

I WAS WRONG!

After reviewing the footage, there is no flag on the play and I am amazed at their sharp movements and control.

Do not adjust your tv sets and personal computing gadgets...what you are seeing is real human movements!

Start your viewing at the 0:21 mark.

GLITCH MODE!!!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am confused, excited, and overwhelmed by the following event. There was some type of dancing that despite being fully clothed neck to wrist to toe was nevertheless completely obscene. Dark alpaca Jin was the computer mastermind of the other "agents". !!! A lot of people could learn a lot of things by watching this:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Still sounds like he says rubber not robber

Following only on social media. Rooting for Leave the Door Open for record of the year and Sour for album.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Not a good sign when you're breaking out NA.

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Have to tell you, it was repulsive to see BTS lose out on a Grammy to a trite remake of an Olivia Newton-John 80's hit, croaked out by a "singer" who immediately took the stage to inform us about her recent "piss" and adjust her unders right there in everyone's view. Gross. As they say, BTS does not need a Grammy; the Grammy needs them to get people to watch. Good luck with that in future. I won't actually fault her for cavorting in her underwear for white right chatroom guys, because who knows what inner confusion led a Jewish and Black woman to that point, but people are going to say with a straight face that Doja Cat, vocalist of the non-racist classic "Dindu Nuffin", is also a "rapper"? Okay, hmm. We can't expect more from an organization that thinks Louis CK deserves a grammy for his comedy in 2022.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It's music time! I like this one: