The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Phoebe

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by Phoebe »

People say the TV show that featured this theme song is not good but it's Jin's solo theme song, so what do we care about the show? We just want to hear Jin! I finally started watching a new K-drama after a terrible drought. Life is happier when you have a good show to watch in little 20-minute dribs and drabs.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I have been enjoying various songs by this lady, I think who used to be part of Marina and the diamonds? Is it the same Marina? She got rid of her diamonds? I don't know. Anyway she doesn't want to live in a man's world either, and who can blame her? These days a lot of men don't want to live in a man's world, considering how narrow and burdensome it becomes. The solution is not in fact to buy more guns and video games and eat only raw meat and become better at negging people; the solution is to get better sleep, eat more vegetables and gravy, and traipse around the hillside with a bunch of ladies wearing whatever the heck you would call these garments.
Unless of course they're supposed to be Bacchants? I'm a little concerned. She is Greek and there are so many Greek references here and in her other music. Don't hang around these ladies if they look like they're going to tear someone's head off. Just go back down the mountainside quickly, return to the vegetables and gravy, and don't talk to any colorfully draped ladies who don't seem fully right in the mind. I know they've got that one guy there but he looks like a Dionysian reveler too.
She has other good songs but this one makes me think I'm exploring the pre-Apollonian Chthonic ruins near Delphi on a pleasant but misty afternoon:

Mando

Post by Mando »

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Mando

Post by Mando »

a real K-band!!!!

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Snappy tunes here:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is such a nice one, particularly the rap verses. It's the kind of song where you wish you were its proper object, but this is unimaginable as you are so very very old and silvery and blah now compared to these small kids. Therefore you must think only of Lee Min Ho, who is your equal and counterpart in all the ways that matter: age, looks, good hair, comfort in wearing a pair of bedroom slippers anywhere, etc.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I HEARD THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS MORNING. Sometimes I am just dropping things here to remind myself of what I was listening to, or to illustrate the unpleasantness of my earworm problems, or to share something that may or may not be enjoyed by all... but EVERYONE NEEDS TO LISTEN TO THIS ONE BECAUSE IT IS SO GOOD: the verses are AMAZING, just the pinnacle of poetry tied to music, spoken with feeling and verve and emphasis throughout, and the whole thing is a catchy upbeat tune:

Mando

Post by Mando »

I am still in love with Skyrim!

Mando

Post by Mando »

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Given my taste in jazz, I'm still a bit surprised how much I like Louis Armstrong.

Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

So good, and 1928! Proof that my project, currently in 1947, has at least 20 more years to go of great music. https://twitter.com/justrewarding

Speaking of, this is the month I finally became a true Billie Holiday fan. Before I always respected her voice and talent, but her songs were often too dark for my tastes (too many songs about being beaten by a man she loves). My friend loves those too, because they are so honest to how complicated love can be, and maybe someday I'll get into those too. But in 1947 she has a good half dozen excellent singles, that are soulful and fun and beautiful, and I can't get enough of them!

Just noticed the date on that. This is from 1937, doh! Well, I guess good news that a song from a decade earlier is demolishing the competition. Here's the 47 version:

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I'm not a fan of vocal jazz so I'm like you used to be--huge respect for her, and I like "Strange Fruit," but I rarely listen to her.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is such a weird song I'm not quite sure what I think of it, but it's this week's entry anyway.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This was on the soundtrack of a show I was watching and I dig it:

Mando

Post by Mando »

That particular Billie Holiday song is prominently featured in the game Fallout 4
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

More than one good Billie Holiday song, apparently!
Mando

Post by Mando »

yes, lots of music from the Fallout 4 game. Songs and groups I had never heard of. The Ink Spots, have a couple tunes there as well as Danny Kaye and Bing or is it Bob Crosby?
Music from the pro-nuke era of the 50s.
Pretty much I think it's Diesel Punk... maybe?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I heard this on the radio and have not been quite right since then. I have a fully uncritical, complete love of the ABBA song and the other one is a long-standing in-joke, and the combo of the two just ...

Mando

Post by Mando »

I love mashups...PartyBen was my favorite creator of them.

my theme at work tonight:

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh my, I loved this song when I was a little kid. I can only imagine the horrors of the singing that transpired.
Mando

Post by Mando »

nobody around me likes it. It is on the "no play" list for one of the Lead Mechanics...but that guy loves his Judas Priest.

I started making a playlist of songs that irritate people at work :twisted:
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I feel like I haven't had enough BTS in my life lately but I'm trying to fix that by putting in something better:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Doja cat is giving Ariana grande a run for the money in voices that annoy Phoebe the most. So I try not to listen to this song if at all possible and I refuse to link it here, but doja cat has a new song that has led to something hilarious:
Every day after school my son sings to me his latest additions to his personal version of "let me be your Roomba". And that my friends is a quality piece of art and definitely should be the replacement for whatever doja cat is saying. To be frank, some men would prefer a Roomba to whatever she's offering, but that's a bit too crude for me to explain to my small child.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Here is my gal - I have decided to live as this person for, I don't know, maybe a few months? Maybe I am already her, who knows. Vicarious living:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Unpopular opinion: lots of people get divorced, all available evidence indicates it is usually a life-wrecking nightmare, and thus Adele deserves normal sympathies but is not extremely special in this regard, and I'm about a hundred times more worried about how it affects her kid than how it affected her because the kid had no choice in the matter.

That said, she is of course a genius and because I hear her on the radio too many times a week I will let Celine give us her Adele impression now. I started listening to Celine Dion with a sense of irony that quickly dissipated because she is my sister and I love her:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh no, this is how it starts. There's no telling how long and how intense the Celine Dion phase is once it gets going. I probably knew that she had covered this song but now have rediscovered it, due to losing brain cells and thus feeling like it's a brand new thing? In my fantasy life Celine Dion is my bestie and we have drinks together once a week at minimum. I love her so much y'all, I know that she would love me as well if we were able to hang out. Absolute soulmate. I find her utterly hilarious and I know that she would find me hilarious as well, but the accident of life has it that we will not meet at this time. One possibility is that my child is destined to marry one of hers. We could be co-mothers-in-law. If that happens don't show her this post or she'll think that I'm a nut. I mean she'll already think it, but no need to dig the hole deeper, kapiche?

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ahhh I love this song but I'm not sure how I feel about Morrissey doing it as opposed to the Pretenders. Granted, this is coming from the monster who insists on giving you Celine Dion covers of Adele's songs, but you know, Morrissey is no Chrissy Hynde. He is to Chrissy what Joe Rogan is to Celine Dion, and this guitarist needs to play THE RIGHT NOTES, my dude, you're totally flat and off in so many ways - learn your guitar part!
Mando, you have to put up with a lot from your cranky centrist friends up here, lol! Promise we are pretty friendly; I'm surrounded by nutters and have to muster all my patience for it these days.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mando wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:20 pm Morrissey
Mando I do thank you for posting this if only because it prompted me to cleanse with the real deal and I was reminded of how much I love it and able to put my work-related gripes in the proper perspective. I am not out there with my pickaxe, after all! I am glad not to be. I don't like that I have so much work still ahead this evening just to get to "ready for tomorrow", but that's the life chosen and it's fine. Before I rush off to procrastinate with ABSURDLE I want everyone to agree with me that this woman is the coolest. I don't wish vicariously to be her bestie, unlike Celine, because Chrissy scares me and is way more tough and powerful than I will ever be. This video and song, after all, are giving us a whole political-social-economic take plus poetry in a nutshell while she casually strolls around being the coolest ever. I once imagined I could have hair like this (and tried) but you have to have straight hair - takes a while for that light to dawn sometimes. Some of us are slow to get it. Seriously though: like a break in the battle was your part? This woman is like Petrarch except so much cooler.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:25 pm Ahhh I love this song but I'm not sure how I feel about Morrissey doing it as opposed to the Pretenders. Granted, this is coming from the monster who insists on giving you Celine Dion covers of Adele's songs, but you know, Morrissey is no Chrissy Hynde. He is to Chrissy what Joe Rogan is to Celine Dion, and this guitarist needs to play THE RIGHT NOTES, my dude, you're totally flat and off in so many ways - learn your guitar part!
Mando, you have to put up with a lot from your cranky centrist friends up here, lol! Promise we are pretty friendly; I'm surrounded by nutters and have to muster all my patience for it these days.
I just like Morrisssey's music....well, some of it.
I played the original at work and my Puerto Rican co-worker asked who it was. Evidently Selena's version is big in PR :)

I like the back and forth with music. It is our common ground.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Love it, love the video. Another reason Chrissie can't be my vicarious fantasy friend is that I spelled her name wrong above. What kind of friend spells your name wrong when she knows better? Nor am I putting the accent in Celine because of laziness. I am a crap friend even to my fantasy friends! This is why I'll be lonely forever - detached, indifferent, and unfeeling, or so I'm told. Wednesday thoughts. Yet how I remain loyal even to all the friends who have dumped me over the years (except the one who now is a very anti-lgbt Catholic and the one who married my ex-bf, with strong implications she was only waiting for the breakup and had to endure me until then, how weird! those ladies can move along!) but I'm a useless friend so what does it matter? At least such people still send me Xmas cards so I know their kids are Succeeding At Things and I can smugly congratulate myself in secret on having the most awesome kids, lol! Week at low ebb. From whence will the needed energy come? Coffee? Already jittery. Bad choice to eat a donut. In a situation like this there is only one solution - and I'm serious: Wear the best shoes.

In honor of the best shoes we will move along to another imaginary friend of mine who totally would delight in my company and loyal devotion if only we happened to grow up in the same vicinity. Check out this shoe game, which she is clearly winning (until I put on my shoes which are exactly like this except burgundy colors and therefore much more subtle and cool - damn now here I am already competing for shoe supremacy with my nascent imaginary bestie! I'm a monster):

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I share your love of Regina Spektor. Imagine what a coffee klatch we would be!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I love her "Begin to Hope" album, even the bonus tracks are great

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Now you've got me thinking of All About Eve scenes and one of the classics is when she's drunk and keeps making the pianist play this instead of something jolly for the party, lol:

Mando

Post by Mando »

It's raining here....

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'll see your poetic Lune and raise you a pink blouse Moon! Ha that makes me think of Dave chappelle's Prince basketball game, team Blouses. I'm definitely on team blouses! Sometimes guys don't like BTS and it's because of things like this. The critics aren't securely manly enough to understand the appeal of the blouse. I like this type of live video because here we observe Jin singing over the top of the track with his own voice as an accompaniment, and the live voice actually blasts out the notes more intensely and even more in tune, if that's possible, than the recorded track! When you're singing better live than you do on the tape you know that's some sanging!!!! Plus he's cavorting around with a bunch of foxes, lol.

Mando

Post by Mando »

my middle daughter is trying to get tickets for the las vegas show
Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Party Ben! Galvanize the Empire...a mash-up

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I love this. I didn't know who it was and it turns out she is an actual rapper, where this is just her doing more of a pop song. Was going to post the video but did not realize the lyrics are not actually safe for work type of lyrics! Who knew? The video is hilarious however, because she recreates the iconic Brittany red vinyl bodysuit but instead with black polka dots so she is dressed up like a ladybug. I don't know how to explain but this is particularly hilarious.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I hope Mando was able to get his BTS tickets! 25 years ago I totally would have tried to do that myself, but for now I will settle for listening to Jin's soothing interplanetary voice. I haven't seen this show so I don't know what the song is like relative to what's happening in the show, but it stands alone as a good one. I guess this is the counterbalance to super tuna but my phone hopefully informs me that both of these songs were in the Billboard Hot top five somethings, which apparently just means that Jin puts out songs that a hell of a lot of people listen to. He is overshadowed by Jungkook and V amongst some fans and in the vocals assignments, but they must be starting to figure out how the bread is buttered because his solo songs are successful and oh look what I did there without even realizing! I surprise myself! His vocals were essential to the success of Butter. Lol, for all the frustration I have about not being a more effective human being, at least I amuse myself.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Watching the Russians shooting unarmed citizens because that's what war on TV is doing and it's too much, that we are watching feels inherently obscene.

Well, this is the remedy for nausea because he is right: he's the best rapper and is too good for his own good as nobody can handle it on the radio, in life, etc.

Mando

Post by Mando »

She got 2 tickets for the Vegas BTS show. Wife and youngest going with her, but only the 2 kids going to the show.

I got the plane tickets, hotel, and car for Fri-Sun.

I will be staying home and picking up folks on the return trip.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am loving this gal's recent solo release. I couldn't tell you why Mamamoo is the only all-women Kpop group I like, but that's the fact, and of them this one is my favorite as a performer. Favorite in a general way is of course Hwasa but that's just because I want to vicariously live AS her, while this one, she's a great rapper. I love her! I guess I could be a rapper too.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »