Movie Quote Tournament

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Movie Quote Tournament

Postby Kyle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 am

Welcome to the Nerd Pride Radio Movie Quote Tournament. Prior to this post, the Nerd Pride community to be in this tournament. There were rules to the nominations, the most important of which was that the quote needed to be single sentence.

Here's how the tournament will work. For the first round, I will have there will be four movies in a group (16 groups total). I will roll out four groups for voting at a time, and leave them open for half a week or so. The community will vote by ranking the movies from 1-4. 4 being the top score for the best movie quote and 1 being for the worst movie quote. I will leave voting open for a few days. When voting closes, the scores will be tallied and the top 2 movies will move on and the bottom 2 will be eliminated.

After round 1 closes, we'll repeat this process for round 2. 8 groups of four movies. Voting by ranking, the top two move on. The bottom two are eliminated.

Round 3 will begin the single elimination for the Sweet 16 remaining movies. Once round 3 begins, all voting for the rest of the tournament will just be by poll, the community voting for the movie that it believes should move on.

There is a metagame involved here. If you nominated a movie, you are eligible to score points. If a quote you nominated moves on in round 1, you will receive a point for each one. In round 2, the points will increase to 2 for each movie that moves on. 4 points for round 3; 8 points for round 4; etc.

I will use this thread as the main thread that will have links to the voting threads, and to track the scores.

CLOSED VOTING THREADS:

CURRENTLY OPEN VOTING THREADS:

CURRENT SCORES:
Phoebe- 60
buckett- 46
Zombie- 33
Mike- 22
poorpete- 16
akiva- 3
Eliahad- 1
Kyle- 1
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Movie Quote Tournament

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:44 am

I screwed it up due to being so accustomed to ranking the best thing as a 1. Fixed now!
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:35 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Saaaaaame :-)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Oh shit! Me too! Even after reading this and reminding myself not to!

Damb.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:59 am

I fixed mine finally.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 am

would ranking 0 to 3 help reduce our collective brain failures? Or even -1 to 2, so the positive numbers mean good and 0 and -1 mean bad.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 am

Thumbs up.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:49 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Star Wars with the most votes so far? Now that's more like it.
Zombie
The Zombdigitty

Postby Zombie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm

You all should be ashamed of yourselves for not voting John Wick. I'm considering kneeling for the rest of these matches.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 am

Might I say that group 8 is a tough one... I would say that any one of those could win another group...
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:00 am

The zero to three helps a lot for us feeble-minded types.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Ongoing scores updated.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:13 am

Links and ongoing scores updated.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:45 am

Points for Round 2 are fucked up. Apparently when I reset the brackets, I randomized the quotes, but the attributed people stayed where they were. I'm sorting it out and adjusting points.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am

Points corrected and standings corrected.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:25 pm

I didn't read very carefully at first so didn't realize this was going to be a contest not for the quotes themselves but for the people recommending the quotes. I want to just vote for the quotes I think are best or most memorable, interesting, whatever. To "win" points might involve deliberately not doing that, but that seems lame so I'm just voting up the ones I like best.

Return to “The Gaming Table”