The Next Campaign

Mike

Re: The Next Campaign

Post by Mike »

As for connections... The player's guide (which I just finally read) handles the "why are we here" question with a relationship system and building connections to the 4 key NPCs. Zen's already built one of those suggestions into Kiara. I'm mulling over a couple ideas for Mazmud, but likely he will have spent time on land as a caravan guard, grumbling all the while about missing the sea.

Once all the characters are built and we see connections to Sandpoint and some of the NPCs, I'd like to build some connections between PCs as well.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Also, since Kiara is no longer a straight up duelist, I think I may take Mazmud back to being a "free hand" fighter, but with his new waraxe. The concept is that having the free hand is a natural advantage for a sailor fighting shipboard among the rigging.

My concern is that since a Dwarven waraxe can be wielded one or two handed, I'm afraid I'll be going two-handed all the time to take advantage of the extra damage, and the free hand feats I take will go unused.

I have to ponder this.
zen

Post by zen »

Yeah, I decided on my own, special blend fighter build that is more designed around getting multiple attack opportunities and using the momentum of the forceful weapon to to its fullest, including adding the ability to attack with reach and, eventually, do attacks of opportunity with reach.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah, I'm thinking I may go free-hand fighter with a hatchet. Use the free hand to leave opponents flat footed, combined with the agile trait, and then my multi-attack penalties become -2/-6 instead of -5/-10. Plus, the flat-footed can help any teammates that wanna pile on.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ah. Just figured out that the Dwarven waraxe is an advanced weapon, so if I take it, I am only Trained with it. Not Expert.

So that seals it for me.
zen

Post by zen »

Unless you take Dwarven Weapon Familiarity, which turns Advanced Uncommon Dwarven Weapons into Martial.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Gar! You're right! Now back to agonizing over it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nevermind. Solved. Free-hand fighter with a bastard weapon is pretty badass. They don't command as much damage as some other builds, but I like the plethora of options.
zen

Post by zen »

I realized I was silly not to be using a short bow instead of a crossbow, since they're the same price and the short bow is one of the weapons listed in the Elven Weapon Familiarity list, so it will be better in the long run... so I switched that... a compound longbow will be better in the really long run...
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:32 pm Nevermind. Solved. Free-hand fighter with a bastard weapon is pretty badass. They don't command as much damage as some other builds, but I like the plethora of options.
I feel like this will offer you so much more flexibility? I am not a scholar of the game mechanics, lol, but I did at least know that thing about the favored weapons. You have to burn an option on this that you would probably also want to spend in some other way.

It is going to be awesome to have a sailor character coming out after Dothan. Patience patience, I should not try to envision until we see what happens. I hope you have lots of good sailorisms though, hahahhahaaaa! I think my dude Rohboo knows all of those but doesn't use them himself. He has to be so frustrated by now, stuck on a boat when he should be making fancy crab cakes for Magnimar's elite. The good thing is that everybody needs to suck the juice out of the lobster legs and the easiest place to do that sort of business is on a boat on the water. Lobster is the great equalizer.
Mike

Post by Mike »

My final issue with Mazmud is personality. He's a dwarf with a Secret Dark Past (tm) which he covers for with a boisterous optimism. But then I realized that as much as I want him to be a happy and supportive voice of wisdom, he also has a Charisma of 8, meaning he should be awkward or abrasive or off-putting, and I couldn't figure out how to marry those two sides and make something that A) I can easily play, but B) is true to the character.

And now, I think I've got it. It even comes with a voice, which may be a mistake, but I'm running with it. I've been practicing Mazmud on my family for the last 24 hours, and I think they're starting to resent me a little. So it's going well.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Would love to hear what Andrew, SB and Darcs are thinking
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

I'm deciding to open up options from the Advanced Pleyer's Guide, as I just recently purchased it only to discover I had already purchased it earlierr.

No goblins, catfolk, kobod, ratfolk, or tengu characters. Orcs are ok.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'm going to go with the rogue character, rather than the wizard. I'll be tweaking the build and will post up the revised stats in the next week or so.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Looks like I should be cooking up some sort of arcane caster. Anyone with comments or suggestions, feel free to throw ideas.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Andrew is working on a wizard, it seems, and SB has something super cool but as-yet unrevealed. Therefore, you can really go with ANYTHING. I wouldn't mind seeing two arcane casters with wildly different personalities and specializations. Or Druid or Witch. I don't think we have a primary primal or occult caster yet. Or not a primary caster at all. Be a bard or monk or whatever.

Pick something that makes you happy.
zen

Post by zen »

DMDarcs wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:59 pm I'm deciding to open up options from the Advanced Pleyer's Guide, as I just recently purchased it only to discover I had already purchased it earlierr.

No goblins, catfolk, kobod, ratfolk, or tengu characters. Orcs are ok.
Oh... I picked it up a while ago... I might entertain the Swashbuckler class after all... We'll see.

EDIT: Here is the Swashbuckler version of Kiara:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41d85d24bzgp0 ... a.pdf?dl=0

Stat block:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fspn6rzlac2yc ... k.pdf?dl=0

And modified backstory:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7aa0l2axyhz0 ... y.pdf?dl=0

Basic changes to her backstory: She didn't join the town guard. Instead, she met a Tian woman who taught her the art of "Battledance". Then she found out about bounty hunting from an old friend who had joined the guard and went out to find her fortune. She still uses the Elven Curve Blade and is a "Battledancer" in terms of fighting style. She also has thievery skill and a set of thieve's tools, as well as street smarts (Trained in Society). First level class feat: Focused Fascination - which means she only needs a success instead of a critical success to fascinate her target.

Projected feat path:
FOCUSED FASCINATION FEAT 1
AFTER YOU FEAT 2
LEADING DANCE FEAT 4
ATTACK OF OPPORTUNITY FEAT 6
STUNNING FINISHER FEAT 8
DERRING-DO FEAT 10
CHEAT DEATH FEAT 12
PERFECT FINISHER FEAT 14
DEADLY GRACE FEAT 16
LETHAL FINISHER FEAT 18
PANACHE PARAGON FEAT 20 or INEXHAUSTIBLE COUNTERMOVES FEAT 20

Stat wise she's more of a pure DEX fighter with mid-high CHA, average WIS, and just above average on everything else:
(STR 10, DEX 18, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 14)

This is because Battledancer's rely on Performance skills to fascinate their opponents, so charisma is more important... and... swashbuckler! It fits the way I designed the character in the backstory anyway! She's totally the type to be all bravado and confidence... in combat and...

I'm thinking I might like this version! What do you guys think? I really like the "After You" feat. It's basically the Swashbuckler saying: "Yeah... I'm just THAT good that i'll let you take the first shot! You're dead anyway!" And gain panache!
Mike

Post by Mike »

zen wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:01 pm Oh... I picked it up a while ago... I might entertain the Swashbuckler class after all... We'll see.
Actually, I was just informed through secret back-channels** that SarahBeth is playing a swashbuckler, so best to leave Kiara as she was.

**It turns out that Andrew and SarahBeth have both lost the ability to log in here. And I literally JUST NOW realized that that is probably something I should be fixing for them. Damn. I'll do that today
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Question: which skill do you think is more closely related to foraging for edibles? Like is it survival or is it some other skill that the person who can track down fancy mushrooms and berries in the woods or whatever has acquired?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Survival.
bluedevyl

Post by bluedevyl »

I'm finally back! I thought that I had deactivated my account here when I was trying to cut down on my online distractions. Turns out, I never registered. My bad!

I am going to be playing a Gnome Tinker Wizard named Wedge Spannerport.

SB and I worked on her character a bit the other day to try to flesh out the ideas that she had for them. I don't think she's finalized the background and things like that, but so far we know she will be playing a male Swashbuckler named Neander, who has a VERY cool background.

I won't speak more for her, but I know she's not registered here either yet, so I thought I'd weigh in and let you all know what we were doing so that anyone else who was undecided could have all the info.

It's nice to be back. Talk to you all soon!
zen

Post by zen »

Mike wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:20 am
zen wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:01 pm Oh... I picked it up a while ago... I might entertain the Swashbuckler class after all... We'll see.
Actually, I was just informed through secret back-channels** that SarahBeth is playing a swashbuckler, so best to leave Kiara as she was.

**It turns out that Andrew and SarahBeth have both lost the ability to log in here. And I literally JUST NOW realized that that is probably something I should be fixing for them. Damn. I'll do that today
Will do! Kiara 2.0 it is! :)
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Here's what I'm thinking about for the elven spy. Thoughts?

Ambriel
Elf rogue 1
N, Medium, Elf, Humanoid
Heritage whisper elf
Background emissary
Perception +5 (+6 to find traps, +7 to Seek a unseen creature that you hear within 30 ft.); low-light vision
Languages Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnomish, Halfling
Skills Acrobatics +7, Arcana +5, Athletics +4, Deception +6, Diplomacy +6, Intimidation +6, Magnimar Lore +5, Nature +3, Occultism +5, Performance +6, Society +5, Stealth +7, Survival +3, Thievery +7
Str 12 (+1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 8 (-1), Int 14 (+2), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 16 (+3)
Other Items purse (15 gp)
--------------------
AC 17; Fort +2; Ref +9; Will +5; +1 circumstance bonus vs. traps
HP 13
--------------------
Speed 35 feet
Occult Sorcerer Spellcasting DC 16; Cantrips (1st) detect magic, prestidigitation
Surprise Attack You spring into combat faster than foes can react. On the first round of combat, if you roll Deception or Stealth for initiative, creatures that haven’t acted are flat-footed to you.
Ancestry Feats Nimble Elf
Class Feats Trap Finder
Skill Feats Multilingual, Pickpocket
Other Abilities bloodline, component substitution, eldritch trickster, rogue's racket, sneak attack
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Love the combination of somebody who's going to go skulking around and checking things out but then also will have an exciting hidden arsenal of magic!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Rogue's in 2E get debilitations, special damage that their attacks deal. If I take the eldritch trickster rogue's racket, then I can take a couple debilitations that disrupts casters. Might be nice to have.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Alright, I've played around with things, and I think this is what I'll go with:

Ambriel
Male elf rogue 1
N, Medium, Elf, Humanoid
Heritage whisper elf
Background emissary
Perception +5 (+6 to find traps, +7 to Seek a unseen creature that you hear within 30 ft.); low-light vision
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnomish, Halfling
Skills Acrobatics +6, Arcana +6, Athletics +3, Crafting +6, Deception +6, Diplomacy +6, Intimidation +6, Magnimar Lore +6, Nature +3, Occultism +6, Religion +3, Society +6, Stealth +6, Survival +3, Thievery +6
Str 10 (+0), Dex 16 (+3), Con 10 (+0), Int 16 (+3), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 16 (+3)
Other Items leather armor, dagger, elven curve blade, shortbow, backpack, bedroll, belt pouch, belt pouch, chalks (10), climbing kit, flint and steel, rations (1 week)s (2), rope (foot)s (50), sheath, soap, thieves' tools, waterskin, purse (1 gp, 6 sp)
--------------------
AC 17; Fort +3; Ref +8; Will +5; +1 circumstance bonus vs. traps
HP 14
--------------------
Speed 30 feet
Melee [1] dagger +6 (versatile S, thrown 10 ft., agile, finesse), Damage 1d4 P
Melee [1] elven curve blade +6 (forceful, finesse, elf), Damage 1d8 S
Ranged [1] dagger +6 (versatile S, thrown 10 ft., agile, finesse), Damage 1d4 P
Ranged [1] shortbow +6 (deadly d10, range increment 60 feet, reload 0), Damage 1d6 P
Arcane Sorcerer Spellcasting DC 16; Cantrips (1st) detect magic, prestidigitation
Surprise Attack You spring into combat faster than foes can react. On the first round of combat, if you roll Deception or Stealth for initiative, creatures that haven’t acted are flat-footed to you.
Ancestry Feats Elven Weapon Familiarity
Class Feats Trap Finder
Skill Feats Multilingual, Pickpocket
Other Abilities bloodline, component substitution, eldritch trickster, imperial, rogue's racket, sneak attack

Background
Ambriel is an emissary/spy for Kyonin, assigned to the Magnimar consulate and operating throughout Varisia. He sometimes works and shares intelligence with Shalelu, which is how he heard of the current adventure. When he shared information from Shalelu with his higher-ups in Magnimar, they asked that he join the caravan and find out whatever he can about the foreign lands and the paths in between.

I've somewhat mapped out what the level progression looks like through 20th level. And dang, rogues get a heck of a lot of feats and skills. But we'll see how things progress. He'll have a mix of stealth/thievery and diplomacy/social skills. Should be fun! Primary weapon is an elven curve blade, with a shortbow (to be replaced with a composite shortbow when possible) for ranged combat, thanks to taking elven weapon familiarity. I'll be able to pick up Nimble Elf in a couple levels and get a 5 foot movement bonus, so he'll be able to move 35 feet per round. And a couple feats I'm looking at down the round will come in handy when he's flanking with one of his companions.
Mike

Post by Mike »

That is one serious looking motherf***** there Tahlvin. Good work.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Here's the proposed level progression, at least as of right now:

Level 2: Increase Thievery skill to E, add Wary Disarmament skill feat, add Mobility class feat.
Level 3: Increase Stealth skill to E, add Armored Stealth skill feat, add Ancestral Paragon general feat, add Nimble Elf ancestral feat.
Level 4: Increase Diplomacy skill to E, add Discrete Inquiry skill feat, add Basic Sorcerer Spellcasting feat, add Magic Missile spell, add signature spell Magic Missile.
Level 5: Increase STR/DEX/INT/CHA, increase Acrobatics skill to E, add Nimble Crawl skill feat, add Elven Weapon Elegance ancestral feat, add language Goblin, increase Performance skill to T.
Level 6: Increase Arcana skill to E, add Glad Hand skill feat, add Analyze Weakness class feat, add Dispel Magic spell.
Level 7: Increase Thievery skill to M, add Quick Unlock skill feat, add Expeditious Search general feat.
Level 8: Increase Stealth skill to M, add Swift Sneak skill feat, add Opportune Backstab class feat, add Haste spell.
Level 9: Increase Diplomacy skill to M, add Shameless Request skill feat, add Elf Step ancestral feat.
Level 10: Increase DEX/INT/WIS/CHA, increase Acrobatics skill to M, add Kip Up skill feat, add Eldritch Debilitations class feat.
Level 11: Increase Arcana skill to M, add Assured Identification skill feat, add Incredible Scout general feat.
Level 12: Increase Deception skill to E, add Foil Senses skill feat, add Expert Sorcerer Spellcasting class feat, add Dimension Door spell, add signature spell Dimension Door.
Level 13: Increase Deception skill to M, add Doublespeak skill feat, add Elven Weapon Expertise ancestral feat.
Level 14: Increase Society skill to E, add Slippery Secrets skill feat, add Sense the Unseen class feat, add Prying Eye spell.
Level 15: Increase DEX/CON/INT/CHA, increase Thievery skill to L, add Legendary Thief skill feat, add Thorough Search general feat, add language Orcish, increase Medicine skill to T.
Level 16: Increase Stealth skill to L, add Legendary Sneak skill feat, add Dispelling Slice class feat, add Disintegrate spell
Level 17: Increase Arcana skill to L, add Unified Theory skill feat, add Magic Rider ancestral feat.
Level 18: Increase Diplomacy skill to L, add Legendary Negotiation skill feat, add Master Sorcerer Spellcasting class feat, add Prismatic Spray spell, add signature spell Prismatic Spray.
Level 19: Increase Acrobatics skill to L, add Quiet Allies skill feat, add True Perception general feat.
Level 20: Increase STR/DEX/INT/CHA, increase Deception skill to L, add Quick Disguise skill feat, add Hidden Paragon class feat, add Maze spell.

As I said, rogues get a heck of a lot of feats and skills. If I stick with that progression, here's what a 20th level Ambriel would look like (without considering upgrades to equipment):

Ambriel
Male elf rogue 20 (Advanced Player's Guide)
N, Medium, Elf, Humanoid
Heritage whisper elf
Background emissary
Perception +29 (+31 to Seek when move especially slowly, +30 to find traps, +31 to Seek a unseen creature that you hear within 30 ft.); low-light vision
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnomish, Goblin, Halfling, Orcish
Skills Acrobatics +33, Arcana +33, Athletics +24, Crafting +27, Deception +33, Diplomacy +33 (When you Request something, you treat a critical failure as a failure.), Intimidation +27, Magnimar Lore +27, Medicine +23, Nature +23, Occultism +27, Performance +27, Religion +23, Society +29, Stealth +33, Survival +23, Thievery +33
Str 14 (+2), Dex 21 (+5), Con 12 (+1), Int 21 (+5), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 21 (+5)
Other Items leather armor, dagger, elven curve blade, shortbow, backpack, bedroll, belt pouch, belt pouch, chalks (10), climbing kit, flint and steel, rations (1 week)s (2), rope (foot)s (50), sheath, soap, thieves' tools, waterskin, purse (1 gp, 6 sp)
--------------------
AC 41; Fort +25; Ref +33 (Critical failures are failures instead. On failure vs. damaging effect, take half damage., Successes are crit successes instead.); Will +27; +1 circumstance bonus vs. traps, +2 circumstance bonus vs. traps or devices you failed to disarm.
HP 186
Deny Advantage As someone who takes advantage of others’ defenses, you are careful not to leave such openings yourself. You aren’t flat-footed to hidden, undetected, or flanking creatures of your level or lower, or creatures of your level or lower using surprise attack. However, they can still help their allies flank.
--------------------
Speed 35 feet
Melee [1] dagger +31 (versatile S, thrown 10 ft., agile, finesse), Damage 1d4+8 P
Melee [1] elven curve blade +31 (forceful, finesse, elf), Damage 1d8+8 S
Ranged [1] dagger +31 (versatile S, thrown 10 ft., agile, finesse), Damage 1d4+8 P
Ranged [1] shortbow +31 (deadly d10, range increment 60 feet, reload 0), Damage 1d6+6 P
Arcane Sorcerer Spellcasting DC 41, attack +31; 8th (1 slots) maze 7th (1 slots) prismatic spray (50 f) (50 F) 6th (1 slots) disintegrate 5th (1 slots) prying eye 4th (1 slots) dimension door 3rd (1 slots) haste 2nd (1 slots) dispel magic 1st (1 slots) magic missile Cantrips (10th) detect magic, prestidigitation
Evasion You’ve learned to move quickly to avoid explosions, a dragon’s breath, and worse. Your proficiency rank for Reflex saves increases to master. When you roll a success on a Reflex save, you get a critical success instead.
Improved Evasion Your ability to elude danger is matchless. Your proficiency rank for Reflex saves increases to legendary. When you roll a critical failure on a Reflex save, you get a failure instead. When you roll a failure on a Reflex save against a damaging effect, you take half damage.
Ancestry Feats Elf Step, Elven Weapon Elegance, Elven Weapon Expertise, Elven Weapon Familiarity, Magic Rider[APG], Nimble Elf
Class Feats Analyze Weakness[APG], Dispelling Slice, Eldritch Debilitations[APG], Hidden Paragon, Mobility, Opportune Backstab, Sense The Unseen, Trap Finder
General Feats Ancestral Paragon, Expeditious Search, Incredible Scout[APG], Thorough Search[APG], True Perception[APG]
Skill Feats Armored Stealth[APG], Assured Identification[APG], Discreet Inquiry[APG], Doublespeak[APG], Foil Senses, Glad-hand, Kip Up, Legendary Negotiation, Legendary Sneak, Legendary Thief, Multilingual, Nimble Crawl, Pickpocket, Quick Disguise, Quick Unlock, Quiet Allies, Shameless Request, Slippery Secrets, Swift Sneak, Unified Theory, Wary Disarmament
Other Abilities bloodline, component substitution, debilitating strike, double debilitation, eldritch trickster, imperial, master strike, master tricks, rogue expertise, rogue's racket, signature spells, slippery mind, sneak attack, weapon specialization, weapon tricks
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

I confess I didn't read the module. I was nearly overcome trying to figure out the character mechanics.

Once we are all at this central location, will there be some unifying event to initiate our fellowship and journeys?

Should I just RTFM?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Read the player document. The four NPCs are key to this, and each player is required to have a connection to one of those four and a reason to be in Sandpoint. That will be the hook that brings us all together. Extra connections between players or other NPCs are (I assume) also allowed.

Zen for example, has established Kiara's connection to Ameiko in that they have a friendship, and Kiara has a serious crush on Ameiko (one of the suggested connections). Connections can also be adversarial, it seems.

By the nature of his work, I assume Mazmud (me) will at least be aquainted* with and have opinions about at least two or three other PCs. Mazmud has only just met Zarslaz (Eliahad), but there is a connection that specifically brings the two of them together, and Mazmud is not fond of him.

IF Mazmud and Wolf are aquainted, Mazmud will be inclined to like him. Like me, Mazmud has a soft spot for outcasts. Although, depending on Wolf's outlook, Mazmud's boisterous "encouragement" may feel like mocking.

*Whatever I did wrong with "aquainted", spell check converted it to "aqua-tinted" without asking.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

on it
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Mike wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:32 pm Mazmud has only just met Zarslaz (Eliahad), but there is a connection that specifically brings the two of them together, and Mazmud is not fond of him.
Whatever, I would like to declare officially that we are friends. I love my friends. I do not submit to my friends. I do not negotiate with my friends.

Also, I'm thinking I'm going to be a Barbarian now. Same everything else.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Having had a chance to read a little more of the Jade Regent player's guide, please allow me to confirm I expect to serve as Cook, which has some benefits for the group. In addition, I think the relationship will be that Koya rescued Rohboo with a healing spell at some point - this might even be a recent phenomenon which changes his trajectory from serving on a ship's crew to joining a caravan. Maybe he was struck unconscious during a storm at sea, and she was able to restore him when they arrived at Sandpoint? But now he's both loyal to his rescuer and Done Done Done with boats? This relationship enhances healing abilities so it makes sense both as practical and storyline aid.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

It is clear that any contact between Wolf and Amieko would have been professional. That is, her commercial ties to Magnimar are the only conduit for Wolf's awareness. Perhaps Sandpoint is just far enough to be out of the sphere of influence of the organizations involved, although clearly it's within administrative jurisdiction. Transportation hasn't yet developed to the point where mobsters have established enclaves upstate, in the burbs...
At any rate, given the choices of the module, I'd suggest that the most plausible adventure trait is that Wolf has a secret crush on her (who wouldn't) with zero expectations, but I'll take the advantage roll if it's offered.

Wolf would make a suitable scout or guard for any caravan.

I suspect that most of Wolf's activities would be in and around Magnimar, so anyone with frequent presence there might have had awareness of him. He's likely the only full blooded Orc for miles, and therefore likely to be noticed. Conversation and contact, actual interaction, would take a little story development, which I'm happy to participate in.
zen

Post by zen »

Kiara would also be suitable as a scout or guard for the caravan, but could also serve as an entertainer.
zen

Post by zen »

Any idea when we'll be heading off to our deaths?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Waiting to hear from DMDarcs... I hope everything's okay.