Re: Next game

Post by Tahlvin »

Here’s one concept I’m playing around with:

Test Rogue
Male elf rogue 1
N, Medium, Elf, Humanoid
Heritage whisper elf
Background criminal (subtle theft)
Perception +5 (+6 to find traps, +7 to Seek a unseen creature that you hear within 30 ft.); low-light vision
Languages Common, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Orcish
Skills Acrobatics +7, Arcana +6, Athletics +4, Crafting +6, Deception +4, Diplomacy +4, Intimidation +4, Nature +3, Performance +4, Society +6, Stealth +7, Survival +3, Thievery +7, Underworld Lore +6
Str 12 (+1), Dex 18 (+4), Con 10 (+0), Int 16 (+3), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 12 (+1)
Other Items leather armor, dagger, rapier, backpack, bedroll, belt pouch, belt pouch, chalks (10), climbing kit, flint and steel, rations (1 week)s (2), rope (foot)s (50), sheath, soap, thieves' tools, torchs (5), waterskin, purse (6 gp, 6 sp)
--------------------
AC 18; Fort +3; Ref +9; Will +5; +1 vs. traps
HP 14
--------------------
Speed 30 feet
Melee [1] dagger +7 (versatile S, thrown 10 ft., agile, finesse), Damage 1d4+4 P
Melee [1] rapier +7 (disarm, deadly d8, finesse), Damage 1d6+4 P
Ranged [1] dagger +7 (versatile S, thrown 10 ft., agile, finesse), Damage 1d4+1 P
Surprise Attack You spring into combat faster than foes can react. On the first round of combat, if you roll Deception or Stealth for initiative, creatures that haven’t acted are flat-footed to you.
Ancestry Feats Elven Weapon Familiarity
Class Feats Trap Finder
Skill Feats Experienced Smuggler, Subtle Theft
Other Abilities rogue's racket, sneak attack, thief

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free demo available at https://herolab.online
Pathfinder and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc., and are used under license.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Here’s another:

Halfling the Barbarian
Halfling barbarian 1
CG, Small, Halfling, Humanoid
Heritage wildwood halfling
Background hunter
Perception +6; keen eyes
Languages Common, Halfling
Skills Athletics +6, Intimidation +4, Nature +4, Stealth +6, Survival +4, Tanning Lore +3
Str 16 (+3), Dex 16 (+3), Con 12 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
Other Items purse (15 gp)
--------------------
AC 16; Fort +6; Ref +6; Will +6
HP 19
--------------------
Speed 25 feet
Rage [1] (barbarian, concentrate, emotion, mental, morph, primal, transmutation) Requirements You aren’t fatigued or raging. Effect You tap into your inner fury and begin raging. You gain a number of temporary Hit Points equal to your level plus your Constitution modifier. This frenzy lasts for 1 minute, until there are no enemies you can perceive, or until you fall unconscious, whichever comes first. You can’t voluntarily stop raging. While you are raging:
• You deal 2 additional damage with melee weapons and unarmed attacks. This additional damage is halved if your weapon or unarmed attack is agile.
• You take a –1 penalty to AC.
• You can’t use actions with the concentrate trait unless they also have the rage trait. You can Seek while raging.
After you stop raging, you lose any remaining temporary Hit Points from Rage, and you can’t Rage again for 1 minute.
Ancestry Feats Halfling Luck
Class Feats Raging Thrower
Skill Feats Survey Wildlife
Other Abilities anathema, animal instinct, bestial rage (instinct ability), instinct

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free demo available at https://herolab.online
Pathfinder and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc., and are used under license.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

And another:

Goblin Wizard
Goblin evoker 1
CN, Small, Goblin, Humanoid
Heritage charhide goblin
Background scholar
Perception +3; darkvision
Languages Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Goblin, Halfling, Orcish
Skills Academia Lore +7, Acrobatics +6, Arcana +7, Crafting +7, Diplomacy +4, Intimidation +4, Medicine +3, Nature +3, Occultism +7, Religion +3
Str 10 (+0), Dex 16 (+3), Con 12 (+1), Int 18 (+4), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 12 (+1)
Other Items Spellbook, familiar, money, purse (15 gp)
--------------------
AC 16; Fort +4; Ref +6; Will +5
HP 13; Resistances fire 1
--------------------
Speed 25 feet
Arcane Wizard Spells DC 17, attack +7; 1st burning hands, mage armor, magic missile Cantrips (1st) detect magic, light, mage hand, message, prestidigitation, produce flame, produce flame
Focus Spells 1 Focus Point, DC 17; 1st Force Bolt
Ancestry Feats Burn It
Class Feats Familiar
Skill Feats Assurance
Other Abilities arcane bond, arcane schools, arcane spellcasting, arcane thesis, cantrip connection, evocation, familiar, familiar focus, improved familiar attunement, spell delivery, spellbook

Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

And another:

Gnome Monk
Gnome monk 1
LN, Small, Gnome, Humanoid
Heritage chameleon gnome
Background hermit
Perception +4 (+5 against illusions.); low-light vision
Languages Common, Draconic, Gnomish, Sylvan
Skills Acrobatics +5, Athletics +4, Desert Lore +4, Intimidation +4, Nature +4, Occultism +4, Stealth +5 (+7 until your surroundings shift in coloration or pattern.)
Str 12 (+1), Dex 14 (+2), Con 16 (+3), Int 12 (+1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 12 (+1)
Other Items purse (15 gp)
--------------------
AC 17; Fort +8; Ref +7; Will +6 (+7 against illusions.)
HP 21
--------------------
Speed 25 feet
Melee [1] fist +5 (nonlethal, agile, finesse), Damage 1d6+1 B
Focus Spells 1 Focus Point, DC 14; 1st Ki Rush
Ancestry Feats Illusion Sense
Class Feats Ki Rush
Skill Feats Dubious Knowledge
Other Abilities flurry of blows, ki spells, powerful fist

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The detested tax collector, lol! That one is hilarious and awesome.
I like the other guy better from a playing perspective I guess - he seems full of useful tricks and backstories.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Love the gnome monk, kind of getting a Yoda vibe there. Halfling barbarian might be my favorite of these. Goblin wizard impossible not to think of poor Gogmurt. All these sound really fun.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

If nobody else is going to play a straight up cleric then I think the easiest way for me to flesh out the Master Chef concept is to make him capable of healing through his devotion, but also handy with a knife, and maybe we could do something there with favorite weapon status given that he's not going to fight with the same weapons he would cook with. Maybe there's a story to tell about how he comes into his abilities via the use of the knives, in fact. Like maybe his religious powers flow through the knives whether it be for healing people or harming enemies.

Anyway, If we already have somebody who wants to be a cleric and take on that kind of primary healer magic, then I would go the alchemist, witch, or straight up dex fighter route. Cleric makes the most sense followed by alchemist.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Present transmogrification?
Dwyn - Healer+
Illian - Sorcerer
Kay - Druid shapeshifter or Ranger Archer
Eldthor - undecided
Anna - no preference stated
Sam - no preference stated
Dothan - Melee something
Hal - neither hobgoblin nor summoner are core, so "the detested" will have to wait. Paused to see what balance we might need, seriously wide open
Of course it also opens up the chance for others to get in at the beginning if Darcs invites them.

Just thinking that the existence of hero points might have changed Hal's choices about riding that lamia or dragon in the endgame. Might make for an interesting RP dynamic.
Mike

Post by Mike »

bralbovsky wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:08 pm Dothan - Melee something
Yeah, I'm trying something new. 16 str, 16 dex, and they have a fighter path that involves always having a free hand to mess with your opponents. At first level, if I score a hit while having a free hand, my opponent is flat-footed for the round. This gives me a bonus for second and third hits with the scimitar. Scimitar then has a bonus that damage increases for the second hit in a round, and then increases again for the third.

Second level, a successful hit let's me grapple them and hold them in place while I smack them.

Flat footed is just a straight up -2 to their AC. And P2 makes a distinction between flat-footed to you and flat-footed to everyone. In this case, my "free hand" tactic makes them flat-footed to everyone.

After being Dothan and largely spending my combats providing support and then taking magical potshots at enemies after that, I'm excited to have a character whose strengths encourage him to dive in and engage the toughest enemy, giving everyone who joins in a +2 to hit and maybe some flanking.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The change of pace should be fun! Dothan was my first encounter with an incredibly useful bard, however - she would have been so worth it even if she wasn't so helpful just because the character was such a complex and cool person you could imagine. But the bard buffs are amazing! If we don't have someone who goes that route and can do similar things, that would be another option... Though I very quickly start thinking about the singing Swedish Chef and then I'm not sure I can survive the inherent hilarious absurdity in that concept.

I love playing a fighter, it's so much fun to just do the hulk smash thing, and then anything else you want to do with the character is gravy on top. Maybe it's also that playing remotely like this makes hulk smash more fun? The non subtle is easy to do online. But I think you will really enjoy it. Very satisfying.

Likewise now that I have done it I am interested in some totally different narrative direction. It's essential that we figure out the relationship, if any, between the locations and timelines of a new story arc and new campaign and the previous one we are just finishing. Because there is already a whole chapter composed about a pregnant lady who shows up at a restaurant... And if that first pregnant lady dies then it would be a different pregnant lady but similar concept...
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

bralbovsky wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:08 pm Illian - Sorcerer
The new character is an arcana sorcerer...sort of. An elf raised by dwarves, they will not be fitting the normal elven stereotypes of grace and charm. Which is a bit of a downside for a sorcerer, but magic kind of just started happening to them...it's not their fault. In the meantime, though, expect the character to be melee for the first handful of levels, with magic that is geared toward that idea. They will most likely not be flinging magic around willy-nilly until they get to third level spells...and even then, probably only /after/ enhancing their closer to combat abilities.
Mike

Post by Mike »

FWIW, my character can also work as a combat-focused Rogue if that slot needs filling. I'd rather go fighter, but it's the personality and backstory that are driving this one.
zen

Post by zen »

Alternate Druid concept: An older Woodland elf who decided to start serving as a scout for groups travelling through the forest and was intrigued when she met an order of Druids during her travels. She joined the order and became a druid at the mature age of 103. (Ancestry feat of "Ancestral Longevity", which gives an additional trained skill per day if desired and eventually boosts a trained skill to expert level.)

Here is the stat block: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecgszmvrqywlo ... k.pdf?dl=0

And the full character sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/get48yhuecv05 ... 1.pdf?dl=0

She's light on CON (8) but has 14 in STR, DEX, and INT and 18 in WIS. Not a charismatic individual though... she has lived most of her short life (from her perspective) in the woods.
Mike

Post by Mike »

She's awesome, Zen. My dwarf will be a little older as well... though not quite that much.
zen

Post by zen »

The concept was probably influenced a bit by a manga that my son showed me recently named Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (https://www.viz.com/frieren-beyond-journeys-end -The first chapter is available there.) It is about an elven mage who is part of the "Hero Party" who defeats the Demon King and saves the world. After their victory, the members of the party go their separate ways after the celebration, which includes watching the "Era Meteor Shower" which happens once every 50 years. When Frieren complains that it's hard to see inside the city because of the light, she suggests that they get together for the next one and she'll take them to a better place to view the spectacle. Her companions laugh at this a bit but agree to do it. When she returns for the next Era Meteor Shower they are all very old, of course. And she realizes that she never really got to know them, always thinking there would be more time but not appreciating the differences between even elves and the dwarf in the party, who was middle-aged to begin with it appears, let alone the two humans. As he's read more of the story my son has come to the conclusion that Frieren is probably being portrayed as a bit slow on the uptake in terms of social norms even for elves, though a genius when it comes to magic. (Of course, if I really wanted to go with this concept, I'd choose "Forlorn" as my ancestry feat...)
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Zen, just a suggestion, but you might want to make your character older? Elves in Pathfinder 2e theoretically reach emotional maturity at 100, and it sounds like you're envisioning someone who is much older, emotionally, than that. I may be missing something, though.
Mike

Post by Mike »

More!

I'm pretty excited about this.
zen

Post by zen »

Eliahad wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:59 pm Zen, just a suggestion, but you might want to make your character older? Elves in Pathfinder 2e theoretically reach emotional maturity at 100, and it sounds like you're envisioning someone who is much older, emotionally, than that. I may be missing something, though.
Well, the requirement for the "Ancestral Longevity" feat is "At least 100 years old"... but once I start working on the backstory she might get older... I was actually thinking of having her spend a period of time living in a city earlier in her life, falling in love with a human guy, having a kid, being a homemaker for a while but the relationship doesn't last. She decides to go back to the elven forest with her daughter, who isn't doing very well in the human town with her elven mother around to remind everyone that she's half-elven, but things aren't much better back home with the elves. This leads to a kind of solitary life for the two of them, living a bit removed from the majority of elven society, but it turns out that her daughter thrives with little other than the wild forest for company. Her brother, who is a ranger, doesn't treat his niece like she's a lesser being at all and spends a good deal of time teaching her daughter all about the ways of the forest and the intricacies of elven weaponry. Once the daughter turns 22, he gives her an Elven Curve Blade and a rapier and teaches her how to dual wield. The two of them soon start a business together, serving as scouts for groups traveling through the elven forest. As the business grows, they ask Desari to join them in the business and she takes on this new challenge, putting her forest knowledge to use. During that time she meets a group of druids who live in a different forest, as the business expands beyond the elven forest to ones in other parts of Varisia and she expands her knowledge of the continent and its forests.

Hmmm... seems like I've started working on the backstory already...

And I believe I've already rolled up the character for her daughter... a half-elven ranger with Scout background...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nrnhh5n9u7zs ... 1.pdf?dl=0

LOL!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Some possible character portraits, just so I have the links if I want them.

halfling ranger:

goblin wizard:

gnome monk:

halfling barbarian: