Next game

Mike

Next game

Post by Mike »

We are 1-3 sessions (I'm guessing) from wrapping this up, so now is probably the appropriate time to start figuring out our next game. Pat has said he is prepared to treat us to a new adventure. Long ago, he said he has so much Pathfinder material that he couldn't imagine using another system. More recently I hear he's toying with the idea of converting some of that material to P2, since some of us are so excited to try it out. But I'm not the GM and I don't know how much work that is. So...

Questions for Pat:
1. Are we playing another campaign after we wrap up Runelords?
2. If so, what system are we using?
3. Do you have any guidelines or restrictions on characters?
4. Assuming we are still going to be in the world of Golarion, what region will the story start in?
5. Anything else we need to know?

Questions for players:
1. Who's in?
2. What kind of character(s) do you want to play this time?

And then when we have some ideas, we can workshop if anyone wants connected backstories. Potentially we're all members of the same golf club or whatever.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mike

Re: Next game

Post by Mike »

For me, if there is an obvious gap in our spellcasting ability, I'd be happy to take on a full spellcaster character. But assuming that we'll have plenty of those, I'm leaning towards either a full on fighter type or a rogue.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:40 pm Questions for Pat:
1. Are we playing another campaign after we wrap up Runelords?
2. If so, what system are we using?
3. Do you have any guidelines or restrictions on characters?
4. Assuming we are still going to be in the world of Golarion, what region will the story start in?
5. Anything else we need to know?
1. Sure!
2. I think we can move to Pathfinder 2nd Edition.
3. Core Rulebook only please. (That does means that goblins and alchemists are in.) Possibility of other editions TBD.
4. No clue yet.
5. The Swedish navy spent millions of dollars trying to find hidden Soviet submarines based off of strange sounds they heard underwater, only to have ti be discovered decades later that it was actually the sounds of schools of herring farting.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I think core rules only is a good plan since we'll all be learning as we go.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I’m in.

If it were P1, my plan was to play an Arcanist/Ecclisitheurge/Mystic Theurge. But for P2 core rule book, I’ll have to do more digging to figure out what I want to play.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Got it. An entire team of environmental protector types: three flavors of druid, a couple rangers, a sorcerer with some nature/wildling bloodline, animal-rager barbarian. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

And we're all goblins from Hilltop.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Man, I want to find that little guy and let him know we avenged his tribe.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

And bring all the pickles.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Character ideas for me:

A goblin barbarian who wields a farming hoe as their weapon of choice. Yes, it will be enchanted throughout the course of the adventure.

An elven wizard who was raised by dwarves and wants to become the best enchanter/blacksmith there ever was. They would be, primarily, a martial character and not a traditional wizard.

A Dwarven brawler (monk) who doesn't give a damn about meditation or balance but sure does like fighting. Debating whether they would fight with tankards and steins instead of fists.

A gnome explorer/archeologist bard who hums to himself while he works and fights, so that the benefits to others is more absent-minded than deliberate.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Oh, or a moonshine halfling alchemist with a banjo rifle.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I think you know what I'm gonna do now...

That's right... banjo rifle!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Goblin farmer! I was also thinking goofy farmboy with farm implement weapons. I was imagining human two-weapon fighter. He's young, naive, and not as badass as he thinks he is. But his main goal on his adventures is to prove himself so that he can bring home a good wife. That's what Dad did.

His notions on women and wooing and relationships and marriage will prove to be very misguided.

Your goblin could be his wingman.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

It's P2E, and new, so I'm open to playing anything. I'm thinking of either arcane spellcaster (wizard or sorcerer) or rogue. But if someone else really wants to play either of those classes, I'm fine playing something else. The only thing will be, I'm just coming off playing a ranger/druid for the past 8 years, so don't know that I want to play either of those classes for this next game.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I think I've decided.

Dwarf sailor. Has spent most of his life working the sea. Could be a fighter or ranger or rogue depending on what I find in the rules.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

I'm considering asking Darcs to just pick and create one for me. I have no idea where to begin...whatever he thinks we might need when everyone else is enrolled.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mazmud Laughingbeard (Dwarf Fighter 1)
Mazmud is a man who takes joy in life. He is happy, positive, and gregarious. He's a morning person. He has always been drawn to the sea and since he was very young has made his living working a variety of merchant vessels, although he often jokes that the work hasn't always been so honest.

Those close to him will sense that he is hiding something. He doesn't talk directly about his past. Never mentions clan or family in detail.

Mazmud is strong and nimble. He's good with his crossbow, but he prefers close fighting. Due to his shipboard experience, he prefers to wear light armor and to always have a free hand.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I think I'm leaning toward the gnome bard. Just as a heads up to everyone else, he's going to be have an Enigma Muse and not Maestro, so is less likely to be a Dothan style buffing powerhouse. On the other hand, I'm hoping to be legendary at identifying all the threats we are facing.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm excited! Gnome bard... why don't I just carry my Core Rulebook with me all the time as much as I'm looking stuff up?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I've got the PDF on my iPad, so it's pretty much with me all the time.

I'm toying around with a couple ideas.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Tahlvin wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:21 pm I've got the PDF on my iPad, so it's pretty much with me all the time.

I'm toying around with a couple ideas.
Tease.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Planning to play this forever or until you kick me out and if there is an afterlife, also then.

Would enjoy shifting gears 165 degrees... an older person who has spent a life as a chef, perhaps, who develops some ability over time to heal people with the product or forage for medicinal herbs or something like that. Perhaps gnome or halfling or dwarf ... could be lots of things. I did have a desire to play a witch character but I'm not sure how I feel about the possibilities of that class relative to just playing a healer or cleric where devotion to food is substituted for religious and spiritual things.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

I like these character ideas. Keep thinking thoughts, but don't commit to anything yet. I figure I'll take a look at the next three adventure paths or so and put up a poll on where to go from there.

Bill, I unfortunately probably won't make PCs, as I'll probably be making conversions for everything else.

I would like to make one fairly significant change to how things are run. I would really prefer to run things primarily over voice chat. I don't know if Roll20 has the best, or if we should do it over Discord are some other service, but I would really like to speed up some of the gameplay that why. I know that I do quite a bit of typing before hand, but it would be nice to not have to do any. One of the appeals of switching over to PE2 for me is that it looks like combat will be more streamlined. I'm all for streamlinging as much as we can so we can feel like we're doing a bit more role-playing and less roll-playing.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I’m thinking either straight up elven fighter, halfling barbarian, or goblin monk. Will depend on the adventure and what others play.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh people you made me THINK about this subject and it all fell together. There are pictures. There is already a goddess of the right sort.
This guy may be totally inappropriate for any actual plan made for the future, or a specific game, but now he exists regardless.

He's a halfling: https://goblinguildminiatures.com/en/in ... -chef.html

A cuter, younger version maybe: https://pin.it/2ZF8IZl

There is a goddess of luck and mischief for Halflings (Chaldira_Zuzaristan), usually associated with pranks and jests and running pell mell into trouble on the faith that it's going to work out fortunately for the faithful good. However, she's also a goddess of hearth and feasting and celebration.

Take this idea further into the art and science of Cooking:
A wild chef without recipes, who depends on that same chancy approach to achieve greatness in cuisine.
He is driven to wander rather than continuing always to create the same things. He has been a chef and caterer but is restless, driven to seek out novelty and the unusual, unable to remain in one place forever.

He uses herbs and concoctions for healing and health, at first in a mundane way, but then... powers increasing! Healing powers. The greater the devotion to his whimsical, exuberant Goddess, the greater the healing power of the foods.
https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Chaldira_Zuzaristan

I love this guy whether he gets used for a game or not, he's the man.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I like him!

That's really clever. I wish I had thought of it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

And here's an interesting point from P2... non-magical healing is much more robust. Especially at low levels.

1. The Dying Condition: If you are ever reduced to 0HP (there's no such thing as negative HP), you are "dying". You gain the Dying 1 condition. Each round, you get a d20 roll. Pass and you reduce your Dying condition by 1. Fail, you increase by 1. If you ever reach 4, you are dead. This means that under normal conditions, if someone goes to zero, the team will typically have 2-3 rounds to rescue them.

2. Hero Points: If you have ANY hero Points available, you can spend all of them to eliminate your Dying condition and gain 1HP. So everyone gets one gimme per level-ish.

3. Medicine Skill: If you are trained in Medicine, you can treat wounds outside of combat. It takes 10 minutes, and on a successful check (slightly better than 50:50 odds at 1st level), you can restore 2d8 HP. Double it if you work for an hour. This check is repeatable every hour. It also scales up at higher levels. It's not a substitute for magical healing, but it ain't bad either. Makes Medicine worth taking.

In our current game we have five (?) healing-capable characters. I think P2 makes it possible for us to have only 1 or 2 if that's where the characters fall, and it could make for a novel dynamic.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I think we might get more hero points than one per level. My reading of it was once per session, or every other session for us slower folk. And you can earn more by being heroic in game, at the GM's discretion.

Either way, I love that they are encouraging going out there and doing awesome things and giving you an opportunity to mitigate some of the (very real) danger you face. Critical are waaaaay more common, on both sides of the blade.
Mike

Post by Mike »

So every time you get a hero point, be that person who foolishly risks their lives until that hero point is gone.

Illian.

Except with hero points.
zen

Post by zen »

So, a while back I created a character that was a werebearkin elemental monk-druid. I'm thinking that one probably won't go directly into 2.0 core rules as I'm not seeing anything with shifters in the core rules...

At this point, I think I'm going to avoid multiclassing for simplicities sake with the new system and just do a standard character class. I'm going back and forth right now between a Wild Druid of undetermined ancestry and a half-elven Two-Weapon Ranger who was raised by her elven parent and has the "ELVEN WEAPON FAMILIARITY" ancestry feat. (I'm thinking rapier in the primary hand and Elven curve blade in the other hand...)

I might work up both and see which I like best...

BTW, I found a 2.0 Character Generation thing that I'm going to try out that is free for the Core rulebook edition. It's here:

https://theonlysheet.com/tos2nd/

There is also a "Pro" version that includes a bunch of other books, but if we're doing core rulebook only, the free version should be fine, right?
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Mike wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:00 pm So every time you get a hero point, be that person who foolishly risks their lives until that hero point is gone.

Illian.

Except with hero points.
Damn straight!
Mike

Post by Mike »

zen wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:59 amI'm going back and forth right now between a Wild Druid of undetermined ancestry and a half-elven Two-Weapon Ranger who was raised by her elven parent and has the "ELVEN WEAPON FAMILIARITY" ancestry feat. (I'm thinking rapier in the primary hand and Elven curve blade in the other hand...)
While a half-elf dual-wielding a rapier and an elven curve blade is INCREDIBLY on-brand for you, I really like the P2 druids. I'd love to see how you make that your own.

I appreciate the options available to customize characters, and I think we could easily have two druids (or two alchemists or rogues or barbarians or whatever) and have them be very different characters that can serve unique purposes.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

If Zen goes the dual-wielding half-elf route, that's almost identical to what I was planning for my elf fighter, so I'll let him play that and I'll go with the halfling barbarian or goblin monk.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Tahlvin wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:26 pm If Zen goes the dual-wielding half-elf route, that's almost identical to what I was planning for my elf fighter, so I'll let him play that and I'll go with the halfling barbarian or goblin monk.
I was also considering a dual wielding fighter type, but I was going to go with a couple picks and focus on crit damage.

I was just thinking that I've spent 8 years watching Zen playing a nimble melee combatant with a little bit of magic mixed in. I know we all have types, but Im hoping all of us will have characters that play to our strengths while also letting us explore new things.

But you know... also have fun, so... make the character you'll enjoy most, and others be damned.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mike wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 pm And here's an interesting point from P2... non-magical healing is much more robust. Especially at low levels.

1. [substitute for magical healing, but it ain't bad either. Makes Medicine worth taking.
All of this is very good info to know! I could easily see this tentative plan for an adventuring chef go in different directions, so he wouldn't have to be a healer per se. Could be somebody who knows how to treat wounds with special poultices or whatnot. Non-magical in that sense. And maybe his real benefit to the group is his knife skill and ability to make a potion or something. Who knows. I like to start from who that person is, like if you were going to write a book about them, and then see what useful thing they might do for campaign purpose.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:46 pm
Tahlvin wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:26 pm If Zen goes the dual-wielding half-elf route, that's almost identical to what I was planning for my elf fighter, so I'll let him play that and I'll go with the halfling barbarian or goblin monk.
I was also considering a dual wielding fighter type, but I was going to go with a couple picks and focus on crit damage.

I was just thinking that I've spent 8 years watching Zen playing a nimble melee combatant with a little bit of magic mixed in. I know we all have types, but Im hoping all of us will have characters that play to our strengths while also letting us explore new things.

But you know... also have fun, so... make the character you'll enjoy most, and others be damned.
Yeah, I've got no problem with letting Zen play the dual-wielding fighter. Starting a new game, there are so many possibilities available that I want to explore, so I have no problem finding something else. It is a little daunting to think I may be playing that character for another 8 years, so choose wisely! But then again, I had a completely different picture of what I wanted Eldthor to be when we started that campaign compared to where he ended up, so things change and adapt as the game goes on. I'll just try not to completely scrap and replace a couple characters as we go, unless they die during the normal course of the campaign.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:36 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 pm And here's an interesting point from P2... non-magical healing is much more robust. Especially at low levels.

1. [substitute for magical healing, but it ain't bad either. Makes Medicine worth taking.
All of this is very good info to know! I could easily see this tentative plan for an adventuring chef go in different directions, so he wouldn't have to be a healer per se. Could be somebody who knows how to treat wounds with special poultices or whatnot. Non-magical in that sense. And maybe his real benefit to the group is his knife skill and ability to make a potion or something. Who knows. I like to start from who that person is, like if you were going to write a book about them, and then see what useful thing they might do for campaign purpose.
And that's how you turned a scythe-wielding farmhand into one of the greatest warriors the Pathfinder world has ever seen!
zen

Post by zen »

BTW... while the spreadsheet I gave the link to looks like it could be good, I keep getting errors with it. It might be that I'm filling in things that are automatic, but I don't know. I can't seem to get it to work. I had a fun discussion with the admin on the discord site when I was trying to figure out how the heck to even make a half-elf, which is "Ancestry: Human, Heritage: Half-elf" Which is evidently how you do it in Pathfinder 2.0... But I haven't paid for the pro version so I don't technically have tech support.

I tried a different one that is more web-based and saves to Google Drive IF you pay for a membership (But it's under $6) It's here:

https://pathbuilder2e.com/app.html

It seems to work pretty well. So far I've worked up the two concepts. Here are the links to the stat blocks:

Half-Elven Ranger:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbmtxdnp02045 ... k.pdf?dl=0

Half-elven Druid:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/din0auzoh7odv ... k.pdf?dl=0

I'm not sure which one I like more... I mean, one of them has the dual-wielding action AND I added in thief skills as a bonus... the other will be able to turn into a bear or panther before too long and can turn her hands into claws now and eventually will be able to just sprout wings and fly... so, it's a bit of a difficult choice...
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

[I can be convinced to be the cleric for this go around. I'm trying to come up with a cleric that I would be interested in playing. Possibly a cloistered human Cleric of Desna who has great knowledge of her religion, but a lack of conviction and faith. She has been sent from her cloister on what she sees as an errand to bring offerings to (x number of temples) across the land and gather stories from the travelers and pilgrims she comes across in her journey.]
zen

Post by zen »

Oh, and the druid character that I designed has healing as an emphasis. I took the Medicine skill, as well as the "Healing Plaster" cantrip and first-level "Heal" spell. I'd probably go with Natural Healing for my next general feat as well. In addition, I gave her the "Otherworldly Magic" ancestry feat, with the "Shield" cantrip. That seems like a nice fit with the Druid class since they get "Shield Block" as a free feat.

Here's the full character sheet for the Druid:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3szw57e8mipt ... 1.pdf?dl=0

and the Ranger:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nrnhh5n9u7zs ... 1.pdf?dl=0
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe also said up top there that she's interested in a halfling baker/healer and says she has a god picked out, so I'm presuming a cleric with pastry foci (???) specializing in healing.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Is Aleratha Kai and Thor's kid?
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:45 pm Phoebe also said up top there that she's interested in a halfling baker/healer and says she has a god picked out, so I'm presuming a cleric with pastry foci (???) specializing in healing.
Oh, see, I thought Alchemist!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Oh... fudge! That's probably it! I forgot alchemists can heal too.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I'll be a sous chef!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I don't care what the mechanism is as long as it's accomplished through food. So it could be traditional healing through the inspiration of his jolly mischievous halfling goddess, or it could be that he makes alchemist style stuff in the kitchen, or makes potions, could even be a witchy kind of thing, I don't know. Lot of directions. Could also be a dexterous knife thrower who has non-magical healing through special poulstices.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I am planning on being the elf raised by dwarves. I'll have some things to clear with Pat, but I'm excited!
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

So, what do we have/need.
I'm feeling we have some melee strength, some healing...I'm up for anything.
Am I looking at pathbuilder 2e or The only sheet?
One doesn't want to tell me the implications of my choices. The other seems a lot more elaborate with races etc.
Missing spells? the other role we seem to be missing is the stealth/thief role.
do we want to have general agreement on alignments?
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I am going to be a sorcerer, but I'm not exactly going to be filling the sorcery role. At least not at first.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Alignment: I will be NG.

Look at the Pathfinder 2e rules.

Spells come in four flavors: Arcane (Wizard), Primal (Druid, Ranger), Occult (Bard, Witch), Divine (Cleric, Champion). Sorcerers can be any depending on bloodline. I don't think it's required that we have all four covered.

As for needs, I think we need a dedicated rogue of some sort. We could use a face, but don't HAVE to have one.

I haven't played P2 much so I really don't know anything for sure.