Re: Any new Games for Chrisatmas?

Post by Mando »

Chrisa tmas...great, just great
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Chris, at mas.
No good new games besides an expansion of Catan, but then we all decided to play cards and Axis & Allies instead. Scratch that: two of us decided to play A&A and the others were worn down into joining but hated it. Sigh.
I decided I hated the home decor game just as I was given a coupon to make its goodies all free. Unfortunate timing but book reading is way more fun.
Found a game for the phone on which you cultivate a dark forest of moths and it's exactly my life speed. Wholesome as well. I figure if I start now I can play it all the way through the nursing home years.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Yes! We got a game called Apiary, Designed by Connie Vogelmann and published by Stonemaier games.

Premise
In a far-distant future, humans no longer inhabit Earth. The cause of their disappearance (or perhaps their demise) is unknown, but their absence left a void ready to be filled by another sentient species.

Over the span of untold generations, one species of the humble honeybee evolved to fill that void. They grew in size and intelligence to become a highly advanced society. They call themselves Mellifera, and they have made substantial technological advances in addition to the technology they adapted from human ruins, up to and including space travel.

Thoughts
It's definitely a Euro. A worker placement style game where your worker bees are sent out to perform tasks for the benefit of your hive. There are several actions you can take, all to either gain resources, or to expand your hive(ship) to gain new abilities and powers. Eventually your worker bees reach a point where they go into hibernation, and when enough bees have done so, the game ends after one more set of turns around the table. Points are scored on a number of factors, and the player with the most points wins. Yes, not a great explanation, you can see more here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/400314/apiary

It's a pretty good game of low-moderate weight and a fairly easy teach. The turns are relatively quick, though every once in a while a player will have a huge burst of a turn as things fall into place. In our 2 player game, we both got at least one of these moments, which made for some fun..."Wait, did you really just do that?" moments. I'm interested to see how things change in a 3-5 player game. My wife enjoyed it, which is a good sign, as games aren't really her thing. It's fun to see how the hives expand, and has just enough random elements that if we play it again, we'll see a lot of different things.

4 out of 5 stars, would recommend.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

A game involving an advanced evolution of bees? I vote yes.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Bees?
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Bees!