MCU Tournament

Kyle

MCU Tournament

Post by Kyle »

Let's do it. The seeding committee has met and seeded all the Phase 1, 2 and 3 MCU movies. There will be no arguing with the seeding. I will open a new thread for voting tomorrow. One matchup at a time. Voting will stay open for at least 24 hours, but might be longer depending on how lazy I am.

Use this thread for general discussion of the tournament or to complain about the seeding committee's choices (but no arguing with or criticizing of the seeding committee or you will be tisk-tisked). Save discussion of particular matchups for their individual threads.

Link to the bracket: https://challonge.com/MCUTournie

Here's the starting bracket:

Kyle

Re: MCU Tournament

Post by Kyle »

Going to start on Monday if there’s interest.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'll vote. Just waiting for you to post the threads.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I've seen 5 of these so I can't really help -- though saw Rangarock last week and was debating if I should start watching more of these, maybe this will encourage me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm in.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Stan

Post by Stan »

poorpete wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:13 am I've seen 5 of these so I can't really help -- though saw Rangarock last week and was debating if I should start watching more of these, maybe this will encourage me.
This is America, you don't need to be informed to vote. Be a single issue voter - go for the one with your preferred Chris in it.

I'm in.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Hehehe I may
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

WAKANDA FOREVER!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Yes- I encouraged uninformed voting. We are not solving Haitian politics here. Go with your heart.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Interested definitely.But is it too late? I did not see another thread.
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Nah- I got too busy. I'll try to start it up next week- I'm travelling a lot this week.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Sure.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

At first I thought I hadn't seen any of these but then I realized I've seen more than I realized, and much of what I both have and haven't seen has been described in detail beyond my wildest imagination by my kid. There's nothing like watching a movie for yourself but then having your kid explain it to you in great detail because, like, you just were not going to get it properly without that explanation. I must admit that the explanation seldom bore what I would call a close link to what I had seen.

The important point is that I like all the Thor movies and I don't know if that's just because he's the most attractive one of these various dudes? That seems like a flimsy reason but come on, like you said this is America and I know more than one woman who voted for Trump because he was such an attractive man and I'm not making this up and it has hurt me to say it. I'm feeling physical pain right now.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

WAKANDA FOREVER!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

First contest is up! Thor vs. Capatain America: Civil War.

I've decided that I will only vote in case of a tie and all polls will be open at least 24 hours (but maybe more).
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I'll close the voting for all of the Round 1 matches at the same time. I didn't see a need to close any early.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Bracket updated in the first post.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Okay- now my work is easier since I already have images and quotes for all the remaining movies.

I'm going to leave this round open all week and will close it on Sunday, then we'll do the next round next week.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Bracket updated!

The Elite Eight are open for voting and, to the Seeding Committee's credit, there's only one upset Cinderella at the dance (Doctor Strange). Vote! Discuss! Enjoy!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Bracket updated... SEMIFINALS!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Bracket updated.

THE FINALS! Upstarts Guardians vs. Hilarious Thor! This will be a tough one.
Stan

Post by Stan »

The seeding was better than March Madness - very few upsets. Dr. Strange had to start in the preliminary round 1 but made it to round 3. Then Guardians upset in round 3 and double upsets in the semis.

It seems that the fun ones aged better, with Guardians and Ragnarok having the most humor of all the Marvel movies.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Stan wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:28 am The seeding was better than March Madness - very few upsets. Dr. Strange had to start in the preliminary round 1 but made it to round 3. Then Guardians upset in round 3 and double upsets in the semis.

It seems that the fun ones aged better, with Guardians and Ragnarok having the most humor of all the Marvel movies.
Because of this tournament, I rewatched Doctor Strange last weekend. The effects really hold up and it's a great movie. I now think it was ranked too low.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kyle wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 am
Stan wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:28 am The seeding was better than March Madness - very few upsets. Dr. Strange had to start in the preliminary round 1 but made it to round 3. Then Guardians upset in round 3 and double upsets in the semis.

Because of this tournament, I rewatched Doctor Strange last weekend. The effects really hold up and it's a great movie. I now think it was ranked too low.
The Dr. Strange episode of What If...? is pretty cool and trippy too.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Yeah- that's what really inspired us to watch it. We watched that episode of What If and went, "Damn. Let's watch the movie again!"

Side note- I've been generally indifferent to the What If series (the first episode was good- two and three were alright) but this episode was freaking great.
Mike

Post by Mike »

The first episode of What If...? actually reminded me of what I most loved and hated about the original comics: I love alternate history/alternate world stories with a passion, and this gave Marvel a space to explore some of those. BUT... you get these hugely complex worlds/stories that have to be presented in a single comic (or at most, two comics). It means they sometimes feel rushed. I had this with Episode 1. They took a fantastic story--Peggy gets the serum instead of Steve--and then played out the equivalent of the first Cap movie, taking a 2+ hour film and condensing it's equivalent into 33 minutes. It blunts the emotional impact and means our familiarity with Marvel canon has to do some of the heavy lifting.

In the comics, they finally solved this by just straight up publishing cool alternate-world limited series. So maybe What If...? and Into the Multverse are Marvel's way of priming mainstream audiences for something like a Marvel Zombies movie or limited run show.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kyle wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 am
Mando wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 am You made me choose a parent. I hope you feel horrible for it, you monster!
Yes! My evil plan worked! It is done!

Thor: Ragnarok is the greatest MCU of them all!