The Gravel Pit

Phoebe

The Gravel Pit

Post by Phoebe »

It is not normal for people from the country, from rural areas, to slaughter their inconvenient animals in a gravel pit. That is all. People who do that should be monitored by a mental health professional, obviously. Goes without saying they shouldn't be making any decisions for anybody.
Kyle

Re: The Gravel Pit

Post by Kyle »

Yeah- and after she shot the puppy, that wasn’t enough to slake her thirst for blood that she had to go grab the goat? I read her actual text and it was disturbing.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 am It is not normal for people from the country, from rural areas, to slaughter their inconvenient animals in a gravel pit.
Kristi Noem is a horrible human being for all sorts of reasons, and I agree with you that what she did to this dog (and the goat) was disturbing, but I have to tell you that putting a bullet in a dog that kills neighbor's livestock is pretty normal. But that's not exactly what she did.

Here's what I find abnormal about the story: no one I've heard of kills a dog after a first offense. There's always a process of compensating the neighbor, and then trying to better contain or train the dog so it isn't roaming free. Rehoming is sometimes (but rarely) considered. Then after multiple incidents (usually 2 or 3 total), the neighbor threatens to call the sheriff who will declare it a dangerous animal and require you put it down. THAT is when a person decides that they're not paying $100+ for a vet to kill this animal, when a 10-cent .22 bullet will do it quicker and painlessly (assuming you're a good shot--if you're not, don't do it yourself). And for God's sake, why would she use a shotgun? That's stupid and lazy and it's why the goat didn't die on the first shot.

So in this case, this wirehair pointer was making it clear it would never be a good hunting dog, so she used the chickens as an excuse to get rid of a dog she admits she already hated. It's exactly what you said, she did this as a quick easy way to dispose of inconvenient animals, and I suspect it was triggered by her immediate anger at the dog--it failed on this hunting trip and then killed chickens on the way home. That's disturbing.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

And then she thought it was a good idea to brag about that in her book?! Like that makes her a good leader?!
Mike

Post by Mike »

The cruelty is the point, I think. I know this will appeal to the hardline MAGA fans, but they aren't the ones that need winning over.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It isn't working out well for her. I'm sure it endears her completely to Trump, but not so much to the type of voter he needs to convince. A lot of Republicans out there are really fond of their dogs. They should have done some reading on the next door neighbor social media site, keyword dog. They would have found a significant subset of their voting base is keen to turn in their neighbor at the slightest sign that a dog was left out 5 minutes longer than they deem appropriate. There's basically a 5-year cold war going on between the parents of Huskies and malamutes and the rest of the neighborhood that thinks they are abusing those dogs by letting them run outdoors in 50° weather. This was not a group prepared to favorably receive the tale. They probably figure it plays well with their rural voting base but I don't think it works there either! People care even more about their animals! Then you have to start bringing in the people who love goats and want to know why she didn't castrate her own damn goat, If she was going to kill it for behaving like an intact goat. And not even that, because the goat didn't do anything so bad. Poor old musty goat just got dragged down there because she was still so angry! I have to think she lied about parts of the story but it's hard to say which parts.

The latest explanation that occurs to me is perhaps the most disturbing: they probably did some internal polling to figure out what would make white men turn away from their ticket if they added a woman. Because you know those MAGA people don't want to vote for a woman. Maybe they were worried she couldn't press the button if necessary, so they tried to think up a good story that would make her seem like somebody who would press the button immediately.

I had not paid too much attention to this person before, other than to know she's a maniac who's been banned from the reservations due to various words and actions. But then I discovered she had another little rage fit when her adult daughter was not granted a real estate appraisal license. Apparently the licensers - and all of these people are Republicans to the core so there's no political difference behind it - are committed to the idea that people have to demonstrate knowledge to be a real estate appraiser. The daughter was not able to demonstrate the knowledge so they were already going through extra hoops to figure out how they might give her special chances to get in there. That was not sufficient to satisfy the governor, who fired the 30-year head of the appraisals unit, and then they had to pay a $200,000 judgment when she sued. They meaning ultimately the taxpayers! This woman really shouldn't be running a volunteer lunch committee.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I think it was a story for an audience of one: the guy who said he could stand in the middle of 5th avenue and shoot somebody and he wouldn't lose any voters. But as much as he might agree with the feeling behind the story, he's savvy enough to know she'll now drag him down even further, so the VP position is likely lost to her.

And apparently in defending her story, she came out and said she's also put down a number of horses who were 25 years old and had outlived their usefulness to her, even though they may have had years more to live.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

What else is in that gravel pit? Brrr.
Mike

Post by Mike »

According to Stephen Colbert, it's now more correctly called a dead animal pit, featuring some gravel.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I haven't even had time to look at this video although I was made aware it existed... Apparently she went on mainstream morning news shows to try to defend herself and spin this another way, and one upshot was she thinks Biden's dog should be killed! That younger dog he had that has bitten multiple secret service? They took him out of the White House but apparently Kristy wants to put him in the gravel pit too. This is what happens when Corey lewandowski is your personal political advisor.

Even beyond this I was already team dog: put a reactive young German Shepherd rescue dog in a situation where a bunch of potentially threatening people are moving around your parents in unexpected ways... It's no surprise whatsoever that the dog has bitten so many people. They should have taken the dog out of there very early on, but it's not the dog's fault!