My protein shake journey

Mike

My protein shake journey

Post by Mike »

When I'm trying to eat healthier I find that eating protein and fiber helps keep me from feeling hungry. I still have to work to avoid binging or taking extras of the high-sugar, high-calorie, nutrient-deficient goodies, but the high protein diet helps me with resisting those things. So starting yesterday, I broke out my tub of protein powder and I'm replacing breakfast and lunch with protein shakes. I use vanilla flavor, but also just bought a tub of cafe latte flavor that tastes passably like latte and also has caffeine. (Not as much as a full cup of coffee, but more than a bottle of soda.)

My typical shake is 1 cup of 2% milk with one big scoop of powder, plus a couple handfuls of baby spinach, because I can't taste it, so it's essentially free nutrient-rich greens with every meal. About 325 calories.

Now my journey just started yesterday, so I've stuck to the basic shake there so far, but in the past, I sometimes work in a half a banana or yogurt or a dab of peanut butter.

But I'm living by the old mantra of the Slimfast commercials: A shake for breakfast; a shake for lunch; and a sensible dinner! Plus I allow myself small snacks when a craving hits, but keep it limited.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mike

Re: My protein shake journey

Post by Mike »

Day 1: Sunday April 14
Had my shakes breakfast and lunch. Then we went to school to do some work, and Lisa wanted a pistachio white mocha latte from Scooters, but she didn't think that much sugar was good for her, so she got a small and I agreed to split it with her. Plus I stole two Starburst out of her candy supply, and had a couple of handfuls of Goldfish crackers. For supper, we just went to the local convenience store, and I got a pork fritter sandwich out of the hot case. With the mayo and such I put on the sandwich, it was about 800 calories (it's big). I'm sure I am forgetting a snack somewhere, but I'm guessing I had close to 1600 calories.

As a bonus, I slept like a baby last night. For the first time in a long time, I wasn't stuffed up all night. A carb heavy diet always ruins my sinuses. You'd think I'd eat healthy all the time just so I can breathe at night, but I am weak, and carbs are so easy and tasty.

Second bonus, I peed like a racehorse all day yesterday and today as I shed a bunch of water weight.

Good first day.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I'm interested to know how much water weight you've lost. Like I posted in my thread- mine was pretty significant.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Five pounds on the first day. Or 4.8... close to that.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Day 2: Monday April 15
Much the same as day 1. Morning shake, lunch shake. Supper was a breakfast casserole with eggs and sausage and biscuits and just a little bit of sausage gravy. Mmmmm. I had a reasonable portion of that. I had a few Funyon-flavored Lays potato chips... also good. And my mother-in-law got back from camping and brought us a big thing of homemade Chex mix that has some real heat to it. I had two decent handfuls of that. I'm positive I must have smacked on something else during he day... but no clue what.

And again, slept well, not stuffed up, dropped another 4 pounds this morning.

So yeah, all I need to do is keep maintaining this 4 pound a day trajectory and I should be ready to finally try on that bikini before swimsuit season.