My Self-Driving Car

Kyle

My Self-Driving Car

Post by Kyle »

I mean, not really. It's not a Tesla. I can't just say- "Go here" and it does everything to get me to my location. But we're getting really close.

I bought a base-model Elantra about six months ago. I hadn't bought a new car in several years, so I wasn't familiar with the "standard" equipment you can get these days. But there's two crucial things that it does:

(1) Smart cruise control. Holy shit. How great is this? I basically use it everywhere. I set it for 2mph above what I want and as I approach another car, it slows down and maintains the following distance that I already put in. When that car speeds up- my car automatically speeds up until it reaches my max speed that I have it set to.

(2) Lane control. While I don't trust this, because if the lane markings are messed up, it turns off- I do like it. Basically it keeps you in your lane for you. It has trouble with new turn lanes and construction- which is why you need to keep your hands on the wheel or nearby (sometimes I put them in my lap). But it's great for my back. I drive a lot and if its a long trip, but shoulders and upper back start to ache. Now I can sit up properly on the highway and let the car keep me in my lane for 240 miles of straight interstate on my way to El Paso.
Mike

Re: My Self-Driving Car

Post by Mike »

Oh, that smart cruise control is the shiznit! Eliahad had in on his car the last time we drove together from Nebraska to GenCon. I've never driven a car with it since, but it's amazing.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I love the smart cruise control. I always have to remember to adjust the radar for my preferred passing distance, but it does take some of the stress of driving.

My car also has auto parallel park. I have only used it twice, and then decided I'd rather not. The uncanny valley effect is real and the sudden loss of vehicle control doesn't work for me. The smart cruise is ok, because it's not changing anything other than the speed, as soon as it maneuvers the wheel... I'm very, very uncomfortable.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Love my car but struggling with its attempts to make safety decisions for us: for example, the dog does not need a human-shaped seatbelt on and you need not ring the alarm bell when he is present. Other people's mailboxes are not going to be struck accidentally by me. I am paying attention - I just have big weird eyes, apparently. On the other hand, love that you have so many airbags and will help brake if a real emergency arises.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Love the automatic cruise control and self-steering features. They make long road trips much more pleasant. Another nice feature we like is heated and massaging seats. Heated seats are almost a necessity in Wisconsin winters, but even on long summer road trips, it's like having a heating pad for your ass and back. And the massage feature!

I also like the heads up display on our vehicle. Combined with the speed limit detection, that scans the road signs for the current speed limit, it's nice to see what the speed limit is and how fast you're going without taking your eyes off the road. Throw in the navigation directions (upcoming turn to the right in 0.5 miles) and it helps keep you informed without taking as much of your attention off the road.

Our newest vehicle also has night vision capabilities. That only displays on the dashboard display, so it's not something you'll stare at often rather than looking at the road. But when driving at night, it does highlight pedestrians or large mammals (deer) that it detects and alerts you if they are near the vehicle.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Yeah- heated seats are great. I only need them for a couple of months a year here in Texas, but it makes the cold weather so much more comfortable in the winter.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Tahlvin wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:13 am Another nice feature we like is heated and massaging seats. Heated seats are almost a necessity in Wisconsin winters, but even on long summer road trips, it's like having a heating pad for your ass and back. And the massage feature!
I don't have the massage, but in my 50's I've come to love the heated seats. I never remember I have them until I start to ache from sitting too long, and then that heat is so nice!
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I LOVE that butt warmer so much, and husband's car also has a butt cooler. I would change the car I drive only if it resulted in obtaining a butt cooling device and/or electric car. The butt cooler alone is almost enough reason. I cannot believe it's not a standard option or something you can easily pay to put in any vehicle now that it exists as a technology.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

But cooling technology is much more expensive than butt cooling technology. That said, I'd like a butt cooler.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh wow, I wish you will get one, seriously, you will experience joy.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:34 pm Oh wow, I wish you will get one, seriously, you will experience joy.
Well, I just bought my new car six months ago. So it'll be about four or five years before I'm in the market for a new one for me. But I will be buying a new car for my wife in the next year. So... cool butts unite!