Mister Magic- Kiersten White
The Nineties- Chuck Klosterman
Silver Nitrate- Silvia Moreno-Garcia
Don't Fear the Reaper- Stephen Graham Jones
Counting the Cost- Jill Duggar
Lone Women- Victor Lavalle
The Woman in Me- Brittney Spears

Books Mike finished in 2024:
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mike

Re: Books we read in 2024

Post by Mike »

I can't even write reviews. I got through my 100 book challenge last year, and now nothing!

OK, not nothing. I read part 2 of Arkady Martine's incredible Teixcalaan duology, and it blew me away.

Then I read I Who Have Never Known Men... a real thinky 30-year old Belgian sci-fi novel that was just recently translated to English from the original French. It is quiet and reserved and absolutely stunning. But I have no brainpower to explain further.

Now I am very slowly making my way through Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings. It seems to be as good as Kyle promised so far, but I'm just in no hurry. I will be lucky to finish five books this year, because my momentum is all gone.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Rhythm of War- Brandon Sanderson. This is the fourth book in the Stormlight Archives. I love the series and won't belabor the point by going over everything that was great about this book, because I said the same thing about the other three. So go to the 2023 list and read my review of The Way of Kings. I felt like I was getting fatigued in the third book, but in retrospect, I think that was because there was a lengthy story arc in the middle that I thought was filler. This is probably my second favorite in the series. It's just so good and rich. Loved it.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Okay I need this and I'm definitely need the Belgian sci-fi.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I'm taking a Sanderson detox and trying to read the opposite type of fantasy novel. I think I'm calling it Cozycore. The book is called Legends and Lattes. It's about a female orc fighter who has made her fortune diving dungeons and slaughtering monsters and decides to retire before she's killed. But the book opens when she reaches a new town, intent on opening a coffee shop. Apparently the whole novel is about her struggles to make the coffee shop successful. So far it's delightful.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:02 pm Okay I need this and I'm definitely need the Belgian sci-fi.
You really do. I'll try to put up a more detailed, spoiler-free review later. But it's very good.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Legends and Lattes- Travis Baldree. Great book. Like I posted before, I needed a break from the high-stakes fantasy epics in the Stormlight Archive series (and the fact that each book in the series is like 50 hours and I read the first four back to back). This was the perfect counterpoint. It focuses on Viv, a half-orc fighter/adventurer who's decided to retire from dungeon crawling and open up a coffee shop in a small town she's never been to. The whole book- it's only seven hours- is about the ups and downs she faces while trying to put together a staff (her Scooby Gang) and make the coffee shop successful. It's so great. If there isn't a genre of books called Fantasy Cozycore, there is now. That's what this book is. It's low stakes but heartfelt and earnest. The characters are great, the story is great-- I really just loved this book. And a bonus: the narration is fantastic. Even though I don't normally listen to books narrated by the author, Baldree gives a performance here that's among the best. So if you feel like settling in for a compelling story that's not going to raise your blood pressure, but still give you a satisfying journey. This is the one. High recommend.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Silver Nitrate- Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I read (and loved) two other novels by Moreno-Garcia, both Mexican gothic horror novels (one was even titled Mexican Gothic). This is not a standard gothic horror novel. And honestly, it's a bit hard to review. To be clear, I liked it a lot. The author is wonderful and the story is well told, but there was still something that didn't quite connect with me like I wanted. Set in 1993 in Mexico, the book is based on our heroine, who is a 38 year old sound engineer for movies. She's very reminiscent of Daria- she's very dry humored, super intelligent and doesn't tolerate bullshit. Her lifelong friend, Tristan, an actor in the soaps that's lost his career, is the opposite- impulsive, seemingly shallow, eager to please. They get mixed up in trying to finish a cursed film that was started in the 60s and then bad shit happens. And it's super-refreshing to see a story about late 30-somethings that are just ordinary people. And there's a lot to the story about the latent racism and sexism in their 90s environment that's extremely well thought out and meaningful. And the whole novel is also a love-letter to classic Mexican horror cinema. But at times, Moreno-Garcia indulges in lecturing the reader about little facets of horror cinema that kind of took me out of the book. Times where I thought, "Okay. I get it. You know every tiny detail about this era. Let's move on with the story." It was just too heavy handled and those moments were too liberally sprinkled through the book. But still, it's a solid horror story with the types of characters we need to see more of (please- no more teens in peril who act like adults in peril). The one big draw back- and I won't fault the author for this- the narration was not good. And I've heard this narrator before and she's given great performances- but not here. You could actually hear her reading. Stopping between words mid-sentence. Readings that clearly have the wrong inflection. Twice, I heard the narrator's phone chime softly with a text tone. That stuff is just inexcusable. Every time it made me think, "That's the take you went with? We're not doing second takes here?" So bad. Again, that's not the author's fault, but it did detract from my experience significantly.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Edgedancer- Brandon Sanderson. This novella is a side-story focused on Lift, one of the "tier 2" characters in the Stomlight Archive series (although she's one of my favorites). I won't really try to explain the whole premise, because if you haven't read the other books, it wouldn't make much sense. But Lift is a young girl (maybe 10?) who wished to the old magic that she'd never grow up. Or at least that's what she thought she was wishing for. In any case, perpetually young, she has the ability to make things grow (and as a byproduct, heal living creatures) and to make herself or anything she touches completely frictionless- so she can slide over nearly any surface like it was ice, and no one can grab her. She's a street urchin who found herself in the role of hero. This novella is just great, just like all the other books in the series. But what's unique about this one is the voice that Sanderson gives Lift is great and always authentically like a child would act, talk and behave. But none of this makes sense if you haven't read the other novels and don't know the basics: surge-binding; Radiants; Void Bringers; the Cosmere, etc. But trust me- I loved it. High recommend.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Dawnshard- Brandon Sanderson. I promise that this will be the last Sanderson thing for a while. Mostly because it's the last thing in the Stormlight Archive to be published that I haven't read. It was great. The series is great. This novella (like Edgedancer) is a "short for Sanderson" story about Tier 2 and 3 characters. It was wonderful. Love the world. Love the series. Loved this book.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Incarcerat- Garth Marenghi. It's hard to recommend. This is the second in the Terrotome series by Garth Marenghi, a fictional author first seen in the short-lived satire/camp TV show on the BBC called Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. It's so over the top, absurd and brimming with false machismo that it's hilarious and the author reads the audio book in the voice of the Garth Marenghi character- it's some of the best narration I've ever heard. The actual author, Matthew Holness, has said that the audio book is the intended way to consume these books. I can't really explain it. It's satire, it's comedy, it's also actual horror (Holness is a true horror afficiando who wrote and directed the indie horror Possum, which is spectacularly creepy and well done). But if you want to know if you'll like this book, go watch Dark Place (It'll take you two hours) and if you think that's funny, then definitely read this and the first book.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Bookshops and Bonedust- Travis Baldree. The delightful sequel to Legends and Lattes (see entry above) is actually a prequel about how our orc-adventurer, Viv, gets injured by an undead beast and has to convalesce in sleep seaside town while her leg heals. She quickly befriends a ratkin at the local bookstore and, through a new Scooby Gang of wonderful characters, tries to figure out how to keep the bookstore from going under. Is this very similar to the narrative in the first one? Yup. Do I care? Nope. Once again, this foray into Fantasy Cozycore™ is a low stakes romp with real tension and purpose, but in a laid-back and comforting way. I absolutely love this and it's the perfect detox from six months of intense Sanderson series (although I still love those too). High recommend.

Fantasy Cozycoreis a registered trademark of Braskycorp Enterprises. All rights reserved.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

The Woman in Me- Brittney Spears. And now for something completely different. This book was not well written, was repetitive and vacillated to extremes between "Brittney's voice" (things she clearly said in her own way, "I swear to god.") and the ghostwriters (which used flowery metaphors and quoted ancient poets). After I finished I looked it up and this book took three ghostwriters to get it to the five-and-a-half hour mark. It's basically a novella. But hear me out. I enjoyed it. It's easy to read this book and think Brittney Spears is just an airheaded idiot, but I think that's just wrong. By her own admission, her formal education was a truncated affair between shooting Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Star Search and her other entertainment gigs, which she'd been involved in since age seven or eight. But also by her admission, she suffers from mental illness. And to her credit, she owns the fact that she's made a lot of short-sighted, stupid choices in her life. And she also describes in detail how her mental illness and trauma informed those bad decisions. But here's why the book is really interesting: it's a no-holds-barred look at how abusive the entertainment industry is to women. And let's be honest, it's hard to imagine a more extreme example of that then Brittney Spears, who was forced into a conservatorship where her father controlled what she ate, when she used the bathroom and all of her communications (phone, text, in-person) with anyone. It's simply awful. She was essentially treated like an inhuman automaton that was forced to perform for years to fund the lifestyles of her parents. It's really, really terrible to hear it. And while her example is extreme, her point is that the industry does this to some extent to all women entertainers, and the abuse laid upon them is so much more extreme than the demands made on male entertainers (looking at you, JT). Anyhow, I'm glad I read it. It's short. I actually recommend it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I miss reading (or being read to). But I just can't face another 40+ hours of Brandon Sanderson just to finish the first of 10 novels (6 of which are as yet unwritten). The Way of Kings is a good book so far (what very little I've heard so far), but the entirety of it intimidates the shit out of me right now.

I'm going to set it aside and get back into the swing of regular reading before I pick it up again.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Nooooo! Take the journey! For me, I hit the same wall about a third of the way in. It wasn't that I wasn't enjoying it- it was how intimidating the commitment was. But then I thought, "That's dumb. If I'm enjoying it, I should keep listening." And then I listened to them all in six months. No regerts. HOWEVER- if you're not enjoying it, then stop. Just because I loved it, doesn't mean I expect everyone to.

Also- I found it very freeing to get away from my mindset of trying to read as many books as I could so I could add to my list. Before the Sanderson Saga of 2023, I found myself choosing shorter books that I didn't really prefer over others, but wanted to read because they'd be quick and easy. Going through the Stormlight Odyssey of 2023, I've shed that impulse and now just pick the book that appeals to me most in that moment despite length.
Mike

Post by Mike »

That's the point I'm getting to. Last year was a flurry of books under 9 hours. And I'm still feeling that pressure. I've got a couple of Audible credits, so I think I'm going to pick up a couple of mid length books I wanted but avoided last year and then go back to Sanderson again.

I've read zero pages in the last month, and it felt good for a bit, but I've gotta get back on the horse.

[By which I mean I need to start doing heroin again.]
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

*Smacks Mike*
Mike

Post by Mike »

Eliahad wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:53 pm*Smacks Mike*
Okay... smack is just as good
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Counting the Cost- Jill Duggar. Wow. Now I need a detox from traumatized celebrities. Jill Duggar, if you don't know, is the fourth oldest child of the Duggar family. The Duggars are those super-conservative, super-religious parents who had 18 kids and a show that ran forever on TLC (18 and Counting?). Jill does a great job of giving a candid view of what it was like growing up: (1) under such a restrictive, but she says loving, family; and (2) under the spotlight and demands of a very successful tv show. I won't get into all the details, but she addresses all the scandals including her brother's rape of her and her sisters, the illegal dissemination of the investigation and her interviews as a child surrounding that crime, and the struggles of realizing how she received no money for her involvement in the show, but was required to always be working for it. Throughout the book she lays open her struggles to reconcile her love for her parents and how she thinks they (and particularly her father) lied and deceived her about money. Just as an example, her father apparently was reporting income paid to her on her taxes (which the family accountant prepared) and then never actually gave her the money. Of course, the IRS came knocking on Jill's door to pay the taxes owed on that income that she never received. And her father refused to give it to her. It's all so crazy and unbelievable. But what's particularly revealing to me is watching the very human evolution of this person who comes to realize that many of the things she was raised to believe were actually just tools of control. Very good book. High recommend.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

The Eighth Detective- Alex Pavesi. Normally when I pick a murder mystery book, I know what I'm getting into- an Agatha Christie-like work that hopefully (but not always) has some new take or spin. This book is not that and is way, way better. This is the meta-deconstruction of murder mystery stories, while also being a murder mystery story. The framing device is this- an editor is meeting a mathematician who created a formula 40 years ago for the factors that all murder mysteries must contain, and then he wrote seven short stories that demonstrate the permutations of his formula. He self-published it 40 years before and only had 100 copies. He's going blind and the editor wants to republish his work, so she reads each story to him to discuss their impact and potential issues or inconsistencies in them. As she does this, another mystery with the author arises. So this is a murder mystery anthology, but it's so much more than just that. It's smartly written (so very smart) and, while it mercilessly breaks down murder mysteries into it's bare components, still tells great stories made up of those components. I was so very happy while reading this and it is definitely a high recommend.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

System Collapse- Martha Wells. Hey- it's Murderbot. I'm not going to go into a deep dive explaining why Murderbot is great. Read Mike's review or any of our reviews of the other half dozen Murderbot entries. I haven't read a Murderbot story in probably over a year, so this was like coming home. I very much enjoyed it, but when I finished it, I was left with a little sense of- "more of the same." I wasn't disappointed with the book at all, but I am left with a feeling that I'd like to see the protagonist develop more. And to be honest, this book seemed to be setting that up for a later story, but I didn't feel like it was fully realized here like I wanted. But it's really a minor quibble. It's Murderbot. It's great. Highly recommend.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

The Nineties- Chuck Klosterman. I really enjoyed Klosterman's absurdist short story collection. This is not fiction, and is not absurdist. It's a dissection of the 90s by someone close to my age who was a firm Gen Xer when it happened. The focus is on how it was a transitionary time that bridged the gap between pre- and post-internet society. It examines a multitude of topics: Mike Tyson biting off an ear; Grunge and the conflicting nature of Kurt Cobain; the Clinton presidency; the nature of live-scripted tv being forced on society; etc. I very much enjoyed it, and Klosterman has a great writing style that's well suited to this kind of thing. But for all his deep-seeded thoughts and exposition on the meaning of everything in the 90s, I still came away from it feeling a little bit embarrassed about enjoying it. It's like when all the Boomers raved about "We Didn't Start the Fire" as being such a great and important song. It wasn't. In fact it was just a list of "Hey! Remember that was a thing!" And it was kind of lame. I felt like this at the end of this book, and realized that my enjoyment of it was just hearing him talk about "Living Single" as being a precursor to "Friends" and thinking, "Oh yeah! Living Single! I used to love that show!" or "Oh man! I never thought about it, but I bet American Beauty really didn't age well!" In essence, I didn't learn anything. And I don't really think it made me think of things any differently than I already did. But that might be because this book wasn't meant for me. I am five months younger than Klosterman. I had the same white, suburban upbringing and college life that he did. So the insights that didn't really seem insightful would probably impact a millennial (particularly those that have taken to glamorizing the 90s) much differently. But I'm also being too critical. The book was smart. It was extremely well-written. And I enjoyed reading it a lot despite all my hemming and hawing here. So you know what? High recommend.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Lone Women- Victor Lavalle. Victor Lavalle is one of my favorite new horror writers. The Devil in Silver is fantastic and The Ballad of Black Tom is simply brilliant. But this book simply didn't hit with me. The setting is a great one- wild west Montana when it was trying to get women to come to the state but was still mostly uninhabitable wilderness. Our protagonist is a black woman who leaves her primarily-black farming community in California for a new life homesteading in Montana. She leaves due to a supernatural burden that she is forced to carry with her. But the story fell apart for me for many reasons. While the first half of the novel focuses on our protagonist and is fixed in her perspective, halfway through the book it starts jumping to multiple perspectives. Which is fine, but then it does the thing that always throws me off and bothers me- it will jump perspective between characters mid-scene. It's always jarring to me when this happens and takes me out of the narrative. The other big problem I had is that the supernatural element (which I won't spoil) was a very heavy-handed metaphor that seemed ham-fisted. Lavalle is a great writer and I love his work, but this one did not resonate with me.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Technofeudalism: What Killed Capitalism- Yanis Varoufakis. Be still my leftist heart! I loved this book, but a word of warning- it's a macroeconomics treatise on how capitalism has been supplanted by the new cloud-rent economy. So look- it's going to seem boring to some. And while I loved this book- an economics treatise can only go so high on my list. But hear me out! It's awesome! As another aside, it's read by the author himself... BUT HEAR ME OUT! He has the most glorious Greek accent and is a wonderful narrator. What a joy to listen to. Here's Varouakis's point- the old economy is dead. Where economies were once driven by capital and goods, we have now transformed a significant portion (and the portion that matters) into a rent economy. We haven't seen a rent-dominated economy since the feudal economies that preceded the domination of capitalism. Thus the title. And he doesn't mean rent for property (although that is part of it), but rather the rental of online access. Amazon, Google, Apple and the five big Chinese tech companies (think Alibaba, Tencent, etc.) now dominate our economy- all of which are "too big to fail." And when you look at how they generate their massive wealth (which then is concentrated into the pockets of the very few) it all has to do with being gatekeepers that charge huge fees to both sellers and consumers to enter their walled gardens. While some of them produce things (like the iPhone) the vast bulk of there wealth comes from producing nothing. It comes from allowing others the privilege to connect with their customers through their online portal. To a smaller, but still insidious extent, you have companies like YouTube, TikTok and twitter that rely on the public to volunteer their content to generate their wealth. I'm oversimplifying it for this summary, but it is fascinating. Varoukais makes this otherwise dry material approachable by writing the book as a letter to his father, using simple language, concepts and examples to demonstrate all the concepts that he's communicating. It's a very approachable and easy to consume format for such big ideas. In college, as an international affairs major, I obtained minors in economics and English (as well as psychology, history and sociology... *flex*) and remember taking a class in Marxist literature which I absolutely loved. This book sang to my soul reminding me of the joy that class brought me. While I think that Varoukais might overstate the impact of the cloud economy (but what do I know- he was the Greek finance minister for a while), and he admits his proposed solution is unobtainable in the real world, it's still so thought-provoking and amazing. High recommend if this is your cup of tea. I loved it.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mister Magic- Kiersten White. Kiersten White writes great stories about trauma. Both The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein and Hide are superb. Unsurprisingly, this book hits on many of the same issues of adults coming to terms with trauma they suffered as children. The book is about a group of kids who were the stars of a PBS-style show in the 90s called Mister Magic. Under mysterious circumstances the show suddenly ended and everyone's memory of it is hazy. And by everyone, I mean the entire public. There's a question on the internet whether the show ever really existed. But now, 30 years later, the cast is getting together to do a reunion podcast. As you might expect- bad and weird things happen. While I enjoyed this book, something misfired with me. You kind of figure out the whole book in the first 20% of it, and then you're just waiting for it to happen. And while I don't need every book I read to have a surprising twist, this was one of those experiences where the characters keep pondering what's going on, when it should have been patently obvious. A real pleasant surprise was, in the author's afterward, White reveals that this book is really about her struggle to escape from Mormonism and the pervasive effect it's had on her life. I wish I'd known that going in as I think it would have deepened the experience for me. All the same, I recommend the book.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

No One Will Come Back For Us- Premee Mohamed. Wow did this book happen at the right time. Two years ago I ordered a new RPG game, Cthulhu Awakens from Green Ronin Press, and 14 months after it was supposed to be delivered, it finally got here! I had totally forgotten that I'd ordered the game or that it was severely delayed. I mean, I knew all that, but didn't realize it would be arriving any time soon. So by sheer coincidence, I started this book the day before it arrived. And what a confluence of events! At the same time that my mind is racing with cosmic horror scenarios to run my party through, I'm listening to a book of short stories all set in a modern or sci-fi setting with bleak, Cthulhu elements driving the narrative. And it's great! The dreadful horror that you want with HP Lovecraft-inspired stories without the racism! All the stories are beautifully written and it was just a delight to read. High recommend!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Our Share of Night- Mariana Enríquez; translated by Megan McDowell. My favorite book so far this year by a long shot, but it's a weird one. The basic premise is a generational story, set in Argentina, about a family of sorcerers that worship a Lovecraftian god. But it's less about that and more about two things: (1) trauma and how it devastates you; and (2) how we are prisoners in an unfair, punishing world. This book is just sweaty and visceral and unlike anything else I've ever read. The story spans 1960s, 80s and 90s. And throughout you are constantly aware of this pressing dread that is caused both by the circumstances of the narrative, but also by the oppressive conditions of living in Argentina through coups, dictatorships, democracies and a failed economy. I wish I knew more about recent Argentinian history because I think that the ups and downs of the characters and the story are locked in with the ups and downs of how great and horrible life in Argentina could be at different times. And let me give special mention to the translation- a good translation is hard. A beautiful translation is nearly impossible, but this was a beautiful translation. If I didn't know otherwise, I would have assumed this was written in English originally. Another point, an adage to writing is: "Show, don't tell." This novel completely ignores that and large swaths of the book are characters "telling" things and I loved it! This book was fantastic. High recommend.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Don't Fear the Reaper- Stephen Graham Jones. This is the sequel to one of my favorite books from a couple of years ago, My Heart is a Chainsaw. And while I loved that book, this one... not so much. I just can't figure out who this book is for. Quick premise: we're back in Proof Rock, Idaho where the last massacre took place. Our hero, Jade Daniels has recently returned to town. In the middle of the worst blizzard ever, a serial killer escapes his prison transport and bad things happen in Proof Rock. There's a lot more to it and I'll have some spoilers at the end, but basically it's a "One Bad Night" story as people are brutally murdered and Jade and her Scooby Gang try to stop it. And if you thought the first book was an homage to horror movies, with the author peppering every paragraph, through the vantage point of our hero (who is a horror movie encyclopedia), with references and mentions to every horror movie you can think of. Well buckle up, friend, because this book turns it up to 11. And look, I've probably seen more horror movies than everyone who reads this thread combined. And even then, there were some nods in the narrative that I couldn't place. But here was my real issue with the book- this world makes no sense anymore. At least in Scream, there was one character who thought they were in a horror movie and they had to follow the rules of horror movie, even though no one else believed him. In this book, at least six characters believe they are in a horror movie and have to follow "final girl" rules. While it worked in the first book because it was just the main character, who was mentally imbalanced-- in this book it just took me out of it and seemed too ridiculous. Jones is a great writer with great ideas, but this book was so self-indulgent and niche. For a mass-marketed book, I have to believe that there's only a few dozen people that understand all of the horror references in this book. And that really is the focus of the book-- the "look at my love for horror movies" as opposed to "look at this cool story." Again, who is this written for? All that said, I still enjoyed it and will read the third book in the trilogy when it comes out. But I'm not sure I can recommend this to people unless you are true devotee of horror movies.