Dogs among us

Phoebe

Dogs among us

Post by Phoebe »

Not everybody around here has dogs, but most do. The neighborhood is dog walk central. This leads to a variety of problems, as you might imagine. The people are fighting about these problems. Because it is hot, the fashionable thing to do at the moment is report your neighbor for having their dog out. This is why people get called Karen, which is not a practice I support but there's no other way to describe this. Classic Karen behavior: spy on you and stick my nose into your business and then escalate it to the level of calling authorities for no goddamn good reason.

If someone is leaving their dog in a hot car? Absolutely yes, take action! That's a life-threatening situation. If someone's dog is outdoors 24/7? Sure, look into it. If someone's dog is going outside the way it normally does even though the weather is hot? Mind your own damn business. If someone is walking their dog, do not tell them that their dog's foot is being burnt off on the sidewalk because it isn't, or they would probably notice that when they got home and the dog had no feet left. Luckily none of these things apply to me because my dogs have no interest in going walking in the heat. Nor do they even want to stay outside in the yard as long as they normally would. They're very content to lay on an air conditioned pillow and bark at the decibel level of airplane take off every time they look out the window.

But for other people this is going on all the time, the calling of the authorities on the miscreant dog owners. There's also a big debate about how many minutes a dog can be barking... People out there are making recordings the minute a dog starts barking and then they try to see if the dog barks for long enough that they can report it to the authorities. Apparently dogs become annoying after about 15 seconds of barking, and it turns out those 15 seconds were not the 15 minutes you thought they were in your mind. About the last thing I would spend my time on is making a recording of my neighbors barking dog, although I suppose if it was right next to my bedroom window it might be a different story. But around here that is not anybody's issue. I'm also puzzled as to how they even hear these barking dogs in such an annoying way when everyone is sealed up inside an air conditioned house. My neighbor's dogs bark like crazy and it doesn't bother me at all. The only time I take notice is when I think they might actually have a wild animal around, or maybe they were left out by the kids at 2:00 a.m. and the parents are blissfully unaware. Even then I'm not going to call the damn police or humane society! What prompts people to do this? Nobody will do this to me because we go out with our dogs rather than leaving them out, but it happens all the time all around here.

Meanwhile, people are intent on letting their dog go off leash. It's an epidemic of dogs off the leash. Everyone is sure that their dog is super friendly and gentle and wonderful and can and should go off the leash. For some reason people just can't get the message that if you're a dog is off the leash, some other dog in the neighborhood is sure that your dog is a terrible threat straight from the bowels of hell. That dog is going to eat your nice offleash dog if they get the chance. The saga plays out about six times a day. I am worn from it. Where is the Karen who wants to call the cops on the off-leash dogs? She is filming you walking your dog down the sidewalk while your dog walks on the grass and manages to preserve his paws. She is filming your dog barking for 30 seconds before you let it back in.