Airline Regulations

Phoebe

Airline Regulations

Post by Phoebe »

Biden occasionally talks about things he might do to the airlines and he should KEEP TALKING and even more so, DO THE THINGS. Suppose you like free market capitalism and tend to think govt should stay hands off where possible. Regulation of airlines should be only for safety, etc.

Well, the first thing Biden talks about is definitely relevant to passenger safety during the trip: KEEPING FAMILIES TOGETHER with their kids. Despite Congress having passed legislation to this effect, and Biden talking about it, nothing has happened. The airline still makes you select seats as if there is no particular mandate to keep kids seated near their responsible adult. They have no mechanism for adjusting or freeing reserve seats if you need them for this purpose. You cannot phone or chat online or communicate in any way about this issue in advance. It's MADNESS. I don't know what I would do if I had to fly with small kids again.

This leads us to issue #2: the deceptive practices where 90% of the seats on the airplane are blocked off and a higher fee is demanded to sit there, and you can choose to sit in the last three rows in front of the bathroom. No. When you advertise a price on the flight, that should be the price for a specific class of service on the flight, period. It's like if you went to purchase an apple priced at $1.99 a pound, but then a man popped up after you had purchased them and were bagging your groceries, and started sticking extra fees on top of the apples that looked the most appealing, pulling them away unless you agree to run your credit card again and pay more for those apples. BULLSHIT. If the price is really $2.49 a pound or $3.00, you need to PUT IT ON THE SIGN BEFORE I BUY IT.

Airlines always have been the worst but when it rises to the level of deception and making you sit separately from your kid, time for the heavy hand of government regulation to start slapping em. Joe Biden, do your thing, re-election style.