Math Today

Phoebe

Math Today

Post by Phoebe »

I feel guilty because I was helping my kid with math homework and it prompted me to criticize the way the professor was teaching. I was mad because the notes were messy and very difficult to follow, and examples had been worked that did not illustrate the principles very well.

But then I realized, I had NOTHING like this whatsoever, yet had to struggle through memory of what the teacher worked on the blackboard and what I wrote down in my notes. There were no answers at the back of the book to check to see if you were doing it the right way. There was just doing it and failing and doing it and failing and mostly not even knowing if you had the right answer until the next day when you realized you had done the whole thing incorrectly. This was an inefficient process in the sense that it was slow and miserable, but it did produce a lasting effect of learning. I can do trig today only because it was ground into my brain via this struggle. I don't know what it would be like after a different process.

Today the teacher has to do so much more work to produce the materials (which are then judged by tired and cranky parents trying to remember the days of converting secants and cosines), and the students at their fingertips have access to an internet producing solutions to almost any problem. If you don't like or understand the materials or teacher made then you just look for some other set and will find them.

Not only do I feel guilty for judging the teacher who has to do more work in a situation where students already have access to more, but I wonder if this greater access is producing greater learning. One sense it is because you can find explanations and finally understand something with less struggle, but are people actually going through that process of understanding or are they just coming up with an easy solution and going through the motions and imitating it? You can pass through a math class doing a lot of imitating with an imperfect understanding. We know this because of calculus! Anyway, I never appreciated how profoundly the AI tools were going to alter the teaching and learning of math until yesterday. It's too much for teachers to try to figure out how all this is going to work, while doing their other jobs. We really need educational nonprofits to put together teams to figure out how instruction should work with the existence of these tools, and the different levels of access students will have to them. Some of this is happening but I don't think it's anywhere near enough to solve the issue in the time frame.